IGNORED

Too much Championship footie on show?

The top 4 still trying to sort Automatic positions is quite interesting even though i dont like any of them, especially Leeds. Looking at Championship saturation as a pre-match discussion yesterday, a mate pointed out what dates coming up had football in our league on offer;

20th   21st   22nd   23rd   24th   26th   27th   29th   30th.  Do you like to follow Championship football (nearly) every day or is it getting too much?

5 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

The top 4 still trying to sort Automatic positions is quite interesting even though i dont like any of them, especially Leeds. Looking at Championship saturation as a pre-match discussion yesterday, a mate pointed out what dates coming up had football in our league on offer;

20th   21st   22nd   23rd   24th   26th   27th   29th   30th.  Do you like to follow Championship football (nearly) every day or is it getting too much?

The move championship games on TV the better for me. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I get that and it is for many other fans too. I just like Sat 3pm and a full mid-week fixture list occasionally; Tues/Wed;

TV certainly calling the shots

TV have been calling the shots since the creation of Sky TV and the Premier League.

Thats when the game was lost to money 

• Like 4

Brian  Clough said that if too much football was shown on TV, the public would lose their appetite for going to games. He, like many others was content for two games Sat night with ITV showing some on Sun afternoon.

16 minutes ago, 22A said:

Brian  Clough said that if too much football was shown on TV, the public would lose their appetite for going to games. He, like many others was content for two games Sat night with ITV showing some on Sun afternoon.

What did cloughie know about football eh? Pffftt !!! 

I jest of course. Legend.

Edited by milo1111

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

Clough has been gone over 20 years and if anything he was wrong on fans losing interest in football being shown on tv. If anything the opposite has happened.

Like many football fans I love the beautiful game and watch many games both live at AG and also my local amateur team. On top of that I watch plenty of football on Sky and TNT at home so I wouldn’t have a problem if even more games were shown live on tv.

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Simple answer is watch a different channel 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Simple answer is watch a different channel 

Phantom, are you a genius? Let me ask another question. Does the fact there is so much football on TV every night make you more or less excited about watching City's one or two games a week live? Answers like Robbored and 22A are different but offer their opinions, whereas yours.....

Personally yes it's too much.

I've all but stopped following the Premier League now that it's on all the time, by extension I don't watch European football either, and honestly have very little interest in the Euros, partly because I don't know the players.

I've gone from following pretty much all of that, plus City, ten years ago, to following City plus a bit of the wider EFL.

Football being on every day isn't the only reason, but it's definitely harder to follow the overall league when games are on all the time. You don't get those couple of days to digest the full round of games anymore, because the games from last night are immediately out of date and focus shifts to tonight.

Likewise a show like MOTD either shows just 3 or 4 games, or covers games from 3 days ago.

With life, work, kids, and everything else, its incredibly hard to follow a soap opera that's on every day.

Just my experience, at my age, in my situation.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

I don't watch loads but I like the option to watch .
That said I think next year (year after?) when we start playing games at stupid times I will change my mind and wish there were less games and all played at 3pm on a Saturday.

I’ve definitely started watching a lot less (non-City) football due to over-saturation. I don’t have any issue with the amount on - people can watch it if they want - but I definitely watch quite a bit less of other clubs than I used to.

That said, I suspect the fact that we have not had a promotion or relegation battle for several years probably affects my excitement for football in general.

Edited by LondonBristolian

Pre covid I generally found championship coverage a non event - Ex premier teams playing infront of thousands of empty seats, with a generally bland atmosphere. 

It seems that with the post covid rise in crowds, it’s a better “product”.  I’m hoping the tv deal doesn’t alter that too much. 

12 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I get that and it is for many other fans too. I just like Sat 3pm and a full mid-week fixture list occasionally; Tues/Wed;

TV certainly calling the shots

24 teams is 2 too many.  There's too many evening games clashing with Champions league.

I bet the POTD IS pitiful for most of these.  Why fork out £35 to watch Preston at home on a Wednesday when it's on Sky anyway or alternatively you can watch Liverpool v AC Milan or something similar.

Bet the club lose money for these games, especially if there's a small away following.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally yes it's too much.

I've all but stopped following the Premier League now that it's on all the time, by extension I don't watch European football either, and honestly have very little interest in the Euros, partly because I don't know the players.

I've gone from following pretty much all of that, plus City, ten years ago, to following City plus a bit of the wider EFL.

Football being on every day isn't the only reason, but it's definitely harder to follow the overall league when games are on all the time. You don't get those couple of days to digest the full round of games anymore, because the games from last night are immediately out of date and focus shifts to tonight.

Likewise a show like MOTD either shows just 3 or 4 games, or covers games from 3 days ago.

With life, work, kids, and everything else, its incredibly hard to follow a soap opera that's on every day.

Just my experience, at my age, in my situation.

I watch very little PL these days, but try to consume as much EFL as possible.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Phantom, are you a genius? Let me ask another question. Does the fact there is so much football on TV every night make you more or less excited about watching City's one or two games a week live? Answers like Robbored and 22A are different but offer their opinions, whereas yours.....

I have no interest in any other team than us, I couldn't care less who is on or not and how often

No need to worry about what everyone else is doing

31 minutes ago, The Bard said:

24 teams is 2 too many.  There's too many evening games clashing with Champions league.

I bet the POTD IS pitiful for most of these.  Why fork out £35 to watch Preston at home on a Wednesday when it's on Sky anyway or alternatively you can watch Liverpool v AC Milan or something similar.

Bet the club lose money for these games, especially if there's a small away following.

I’m sure I’ve seen something before that, somewhat counter intuitively, clubs prefer to play teams that are a fair way away in midweek, in part because they know that the away following may not have been great because of the distance in any case. Take this season - Ipswich and Blackburn were both home and away in midweek.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m sure I’ve seen something before that, somewhat counter intuitively, clubs prefer to play teams that are a fair way away in midweek, in part because they know that the away following may not have been great because of the distance in any case. Take this season - Ipswich and Blackburn were both home and away in midweek.

But we also had Southampton and Plymouth midweek?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I watch very little PL these days, but try to consume as much EFL as possible.

I watch plenty of PL football - yesterday I watched both Liverpool and Arsenal lose and that opens the door for Man City……..and I’ll probably watch Chelsea v Everton this evening even tho neither club interest me that much.

I also watched the Foxes lose at Argyle. That said when it comes to the Championship I’ll only watch if one of the teams are in with a shout of promotion.

It's pretty crap if your team are constantly having games moved to satisfy Sky. Only 4 of our last 13 home games have been Saturday 3pm kick offs. Only going to get worse for clubs next season though with the new EFL TV deal. I personally also think you lose a bit of integrity when teams at the bottom or the top play before/after rivals. 

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True. I’m sure I read it but equally I may be talking bollocks. Wouldn’t be the first time!

No, it’s true, I read it also.  But you don’t get to pick all your fixtures, hence why you might still have “local” fixtures midweek too.

• Thanks 1

Fair play to people who have a life that allows them the time to watch constant football. Genuinely I'm happy for you to have the time that allows you to indulge your hobby. That's not meant to come across as facetious.

I guess so long as there's enough of you guys around (and there clearly are) to watch the adverts during the game we'll keep going with more and more football shown on TV.

Edited by ExiledAjax

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fair play to people who have a life that allows them the time to watch constant football. Genuinely I'm happy for you to have the time that allows you to indulge your hobby. That's not meant to come across as facetious.

I guess so long as there's enough of you guys around (and there clearly are) to watch the adverts during the game we'll keep going with more and more football shown on TV.

I don't have time for it, I just like to know it's there 😜