IGNORED

Anyone bidding on ebay auction for match worn freight rover trophy final shirt?

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Out of interest why did we have BC82 instead of a badge on the shirt?

I’ve often wondered that too. No idea why. It was the only kit of the 1980s not to have the robin badge, and it was first worn in 1983 so a year after our near extinction. There had been at least one kit before then that had the badge so it wasn’t as if it was the first kit under the new company. I was only 8 years old so only have vague memories of City’s early-80s era. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

The semi final against Hereford was great fun. 

Used to stand in the lower Williams nearest the East End. Always boisterous. 

Maybe the shirt was from a game in the lead up to the final. Season 85/86. 

Thanks for that...what a night !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Out of interest why did we have BC82 instead of a badge on the shirt?

After going bust, Ashton Gate 8 and all that, the club was “Bristol City 1982 Limited”. That’s where the 82 bit came from. No idea why we didn’t use a badge though. I always quite liked the BC82 thing for some reason….. better than a roadkill robin, that’s for sure. 

• Thanks 1

People claim what they want on eBay and eBay don't care as they will take their slice of the pie after an unsuspecting buyer has basically been ripped off. You only have to look at all the Banksy fake stuff that gets sold through there (and plenty of "auction" houses"). Even if you report something that is 100% fake they will rarely remove it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Good luck! The players who had them know how rare they were and won't part with them.

I'm not specifically looking for a match worn one nor one specifically from the 1987 FRT final
a regular 1986-1988 away shirt version would also be great

football_shirt_83918_1_500x415x1.jpg

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

People claim what they want on eBay and eBay don't care as they will take their slice of the pie after an unsuspecting buyer has basically been ripped off. You only have to look at all the Banksy fake stuff that gets sold through there (and plenty of "auction" houses"). Even if you report something that is 100% fake they will rarely remove it.

There is truth in that...but the opposite also happens.

I inherited a vast collection of signed vinyl and memorabilia. 

I had people report that it was fake...only one person, and it was taken down immediately. Even though I provided evidence of the autographs being signed in person.

There are a lot of self proclaimed experts in collectors circles, that often haven't got a clue. 

And sometimes people are just spiteful as they can't afford it and want it in their collection. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Carolina Reaper said:

I'm not specifically looking for a match worn one nor one specifically from the 1987 FRT final
a regular 1986-1988 away shirt version would also be great

football_shirt_83918_1_500x415x1.jpg

Are there many out there? I'm not constantly looking but do keep an eye out for older City shirts and haven't ever seen one from that season pop up.

We had a match worn one in the family but the player asked for it back :( Can't blame him, it's a beauty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Are there many out there? I'm not constantly looking but do keep an eye out for older City shirts and haven't ever seen one from that season pop up.

We had a match worn one in the family but the player asked for it back :( Can't blame him, it's a beauty.

I'm hoping there are quite a few still in existence, they were an official club shop item
I distinctly remember beryl selling them and wembley 1987 versions from the old portacabin

2 hours ago, spudski said:

There is truth in that...but the opposite also happens.

I inherited a vast collection of signed vinyl and memorabilia. 

I had people report that it was fake...only one person, and it was taken down immediately. Even though I provided evidence of the autographs being signed in person.

There are a lot of self proclaimed experts in collectors circles, that often haven't got a clue. 

And sometimes people are just spiteful as they can't afford it and want it in their collection. 

That must be a rarity, and guess it is pot luck who receives the complaint their end and removes a listing?

I used to go on an art forum and loads of the eBay fake stuff got highlighted on there, multiple listings got reported and I never seen a single thing get taken down. One seller had made thousands selling the same fakes multiple times, and even got reported to Action Fraud for months on end by multiple people, still nothing was done about it.  

4 minutes ago, TheReds said:

That must be a rarity, and guess it is pot luck who receives the complaint their end and removes a listing?

I used to go on an art forum and loads of the eBay fake stuff got highlighted on there, multiple listings got reported and I never seen a single thing get taken down. One seller had made thousands selling the same fakes multiple times, and even got reported to Action Fraud for months on end by multiple people, still nothing was done about it.  

Yes I've seen it before with other collectibles 

19 hours ago, spudski said:

The semi final against Hereford was great fun. 

Used to stand in the lower Williams nearest the East End. Always boisterous. 

Maybe the shirt was from a game in the lead up to the final. Season 85/86. 

Still haven't found my keys after that night

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Offside said:

I’ve often wondered that too. No idea why. It was the only kit of the 1980s not to have the robin badge, and it was first worn in 1983 so a year after our near extinction. There had been at least one kit before then that had the badge so it wasn’t as if it was the first kit under the new company. I was only 8 years old so only have vague memories of City’s early-80s era. 

I never even remember realising this - I'm sure it was obvious but I don't think it caused a fuss. Obs if we had the internet back then there'd be a 500 page thread of outrage on yeoldeotib.com

Edited by Sleepy1968
sp
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 14:15, Carolina Reaper said:

Price is fair at the moment for what appears to be genuine 1986 hirerite shirt but its clearly not one match worn at wembley
the actual shirt had freight rover trophy and wembley 1986 either side of sponsor and number 4 keith curle wore long sleeves that day

hate to see fellow fans ripped off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186394531839

It may be a genuine replica shirt from 1986, but the style of number isn't correct for a match worn shirt. The numbers that season had a red line border on them.

Could be a reserve or youth team shirt, or just a fans replica who put their own number on it.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 10.30.55.png

Edited by Walshy
Photo attached
  • Like 3

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Walshy said:

It may be a genuine replica shirt from 1986, but the style of number isn't correct for a match worn shirt. The numbers that season had a red line border on them.

Could be a reserve or youth team shirt, or just a fans replica who put their own number on it.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 10.30.55.png

Difficult to compare to this picture as the red line isn't the outline, where as the pic on the eBay account is

It is odd though that they have no picture of the actual number

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Difficult to compare to this picture as the red line isn't the outline, where as the pic on the eBay account is

It is odd though that they have no picture of the actual number

If you expand the photo showing the number 4, you can see it's hand stitched and not on straight. The last bit was common back then though. 

• Like 1