IGNORED

Assuming Joe Williams wants to stay…

Davefevs

On 25/04/2024 at 21:17, Jerseybean said:

This dispels the myth earlier in the thread that Williams rarely passes forward then:

“No player averages more progressive passes (a pass that moves the ball at least 10 yards towards the opponent’s goal or one into the penalty area) per 90 than Williams (6.12).”

Pleased that we have offered him a contract. I hope he feels that he has unfinished business here given his serious injury problems at the start. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eardun said:

This dispels the myth earlier in the thread that Williams rarely passes forward then:

Yep, been saying it for ages.  He’s often been the guy trying to inject a bit of tempo into our passing, but in trying to “force it” he sometimes has games where his passing is off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M.D said:

I didn't know we had, have I missed this?

Mentioned elsewhere on here - apparently BT confirmed it on Robins TV.

I also noticed that a few seconds before kick off Williams went over James and shook him by the hand - I’m guessing of course, but it felt to me that he was recognising that it may be their last match together and he was thanking James (no mention of a contract offer for James of course).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Tinnion says Williams have been great “especially since Liam came to the club”.  Backing his man again 

Imho he’s been good all season, and latter part of last season too.  We have nobody who plays like Joe.  Hope we find a way to get the deal done.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Imho he’s been good all season, and latter part of last season too.  We have nobody who plays like Joe.  Hope we find a way to get the deal done.

I agree he's been good all season, the player we all expected from Wigan. I've been more than supportive of Tins but not sure why he clarified Joe has been good since Manning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I agree he's been good all season, the player we all expected from Wigan. I've been more than supportive of Tins but not sure why he clarified Joe has been good since Manning. 

Because he thinks it backs up the decision to bring LM into the club.

• Flames 1

I can see him going to somewhere like Stoke - better wages, further North, a fellow scouse in charge who plays progressive exciting football. I think he should stay though, there is a reason why he is currently playing his best football and part of that is the management getting the best out of him.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:45, eardun said:

Mentioned elsewhere on here - apparently BT confirmed it on Robins TV.

I also noticed that a few seconds before kick off Williams went over James and shook him by the hand - I’m guessing of course, but it felt to me that he was recognising that it may be their last match together and he was thanking James (no mention of a contract offer for James of course).

You were expecting Williams to go over to James, shake hands, and offer him a contract? Not sure that's how it works...

On 20/04/2024 at 21:25, Davefevs said:

No, it isn’t! 😃😃😃

image.thumb.png.b167bbc7775aba258d8565b016492a75.png

Joe Williams makes more forward passes as a percentage of all passes, than most (c90%) of Championship midfielders with at least 500 minutes!

Who on earth is that blob top right?  Looks like a PNE player?  Sign him up.

PS I'm assuming these are successful passes?

• Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Chivs said:

You were expecting Williams to go over to James, shake hands, and offer him a contract? Not sure that's how it works...

Who on earth is that blob top right?  Looks like a PNE player?  Sign him up.

PS I'm assuming these are successful passes?

Haha, that’s Jack Whatmough (Preston) who is a CB but has played some minutes in CM, so gets included.

No, all passes.

1 hour ago, DeParis said:

I can see him going to somewhere like Stoke - better wages, further North, a fellow scouse in charge who plays progressive exciting football. I think he should stay though, there is a reason why he is currently playing his best football and part of that is the management getting the best out of him.

Stoke who've been hanging around the relegation zone? Wages might be a factor but I don't think they are in as a good a position as City are at the moment. They have been on the slide for a while now 

2 hours ago, DeParis said:

In the past I’d have said this too, but Williams has been here 4 years, I also doubt Stoke are going to offer him significantly more in wages & so my hunch is he’ll be the only out of contract player staying on a playing contract next season.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, DeParis said:

What was your previous username? Can’t work it out 

On 20/04/2024 at 17:34, Robbored said:

He’s definitely been showing the form of why City signed him.  Hamstring injuries restricted his game time last season otherwise we’d have appreciated sooner what a class Championship midfielder he is. When he signed he came with a decent reputation and now we know why.

He’s become an essential part on the midfield and Manning/Tinnion should do all they can to offer him another contract - 2+1 surely must be doable..Of course Williams might not want to stay in which case he’d be very difficult to replace.

We need his bit of nastiness and winding up skills. Must be good in the dressing room too

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

My takeaway from that is ....

Adam Murphy should be playing for the U21s next week  :clapping:

I think I will go and have a look at our new boy.

"But after undergoing an individual pre-season, due to the League of Ireland campaign finishing in November, and experiencing a few injury niggles over the last few months should be in the Young Robins line-up as they entertain Charlton Athletic at Ashton Gate next Tuesday and then against Fleetwood Town in a fortnight."