IGNORED

Assuming Joe Williams wants to stay…

Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pay him as you would do one of your top tier earners.

27 years old (28 in Dec), get him signed up for 3 years (at worst 2+1).  Treat it like a free transfer, because that is what it is.  He’s a top half championship performer.  I don’t think you’ll bring in as guaranteed a performer for the overall cost.  At his peak years.

Agree.

do we have any lingering concerns over fitness or has that been put to bed?

He’s definitely been showing the form of why City signed him.  Hamstring injuries restricted his game time last season otherwise we’d have appreciated sooner what a class Championship midfielder he is. When he signed he came with a decent reputation and now we know why.

He’s become an essential part on the midfield and Manning/Tinnion should do all they can to offer him another contract - 2+1 surely must be doable..Of course Williams might not want to stay in which case he’d be very difficult to replace.

• Like 1

I worry we will lose James & Williams as either they'll get better ££ offers elsewhere or they will want to move back North.  James def has young family, not sure of Joe's position?.

Keeping 1 of them would be ideal for the knowledge etc, on balance I'd keep Joe, mainly cos he's a few yrs younger but think we'll miss his edge if he leaves.

I love the bloke, the one in the team with real edge . Has easily played well enough to earn a new contract. 
Great point about being a free transfer and you need experience. But to buy experience and a top half performer would be expensive .  We should get this done, a no brainer really .

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I worry we will lose James & Williams as either they'll get better ££ offers elsewhere or they will want to move back North.  James def has young family, not sure of Joe's position?.

Keeping 1 of them would be ideal for the knowledge etc, on balance I'd keep Joe, mainly cos he's a few yrs younger but think we'll miss his edge if he leaves.

Think you re-sign Williams, and much as I’d like to keep Jamo too, I think I’d resign myself that Williams, Knight, Bird, TGH is a good core to build the summer around.  Focus on the no9 and no10, but maybe look to add one more if the right one becomes available at the right amount.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

27 years old (28 in Dec), get him signed up for 3 years (at worst 2+1).  Treat it like a free transfer, because that is what it is.  He’s a top half championship performer.  I don’t think you’ll bring in as guaranteed a performer for the overall cost.  At his peak years.

You watch him sign a 3 year contract then tear his hamstring at the press conference 

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree. 

2 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

Williams has been good this season. Would personally still rather keep James if it is one or the other but would not be disappointed if he is retained.

I just think that James’ age will go against him if we can only keep one of them (he’ll be 33 at the start of next season). Williams really is at peak age (27, 28 in Dec)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eardun said:

I just think that James’ age will go against him if we can only keep one of them (he’ll be 33 at the start of next season). Williams really is at peak age (27, 28 in Dec)

Yeah I can totally understand that point, fair enough. I reckon it will be Williams that ends up staying if I were to guess.

4 minutes ago, eardun said:

I think it makes sense to give Williams a 3 year deal rather than giving James the 2 year deal that he will be pushing for.

You'd like to think that if James were willing to sign a 1 year deal we'd take it.

• Like 1

He’s already openly said he wants to stay, so ball is fully in the clubs court. 

Is he someone who fits Manning’s ideal style though? Still impossible for us to make a decent call on, but my immediate hunch would be no. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Agree.

do we have any lingering concerns over fitness or has that been put to bed?

Lately we have been seeing the player we thought we got from Wigan a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

A midfield player who rarely scores, doesn't run with the ball, isn't strong in the air, rarely passes forward and is injury prone. But he tries really hard and makes rash tackles - seems a perfect fit for a Bristol City midfielder at this level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 12

3 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

A midfield player who rarely scores, doesn't run with the ball, isn't strong in the air, rarely passes forward and is injury prone. But he tries really hard and makes rash tackles - seems a perfect fit for a Bristol City midfielder at this level.

Haha, you've chucked a grenade there. Run for cover!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it’s important he stays - how much would it cost to replace the Joe Williams we’ve seen this year? A good chunk of whatever budget LM has this summer.

As @Davefevs says - gotta treat him as a “Free” signing. I think that he will want to stay too……

Get the No 10 and 9 we need & the club have committed too (likely to be a pretty significant outlay), coupled with the likes of Bird coming in and Big Rob back and we’ve got a much stronger squad.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s already openly said he wants to stay, so ball is fully in the clubs court. 

Is he someone who fits Manning’s ideal style though? Still impossible for us to make a decent call on, but my immediate hunch would be no. 

I agree.

I don't think Manning would have signed Williams himself... But I'm hoping that as he's seen the value he can bring to the side and the edge he has - which is often missing from very technical players I suspect Manning likes, he'll decide to keep him for the balance it gives us.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't want to be a right negative dick, because I like Joe Williams,, but is 2 goals an 9 assists in 3 years, warranting top money? 

Think we should try and punch higher tbh 

Goals and assists aren’t the measure of a centre midfielder.

• Like 1

Will be very sad to see James go as he’s been the backbone of our side the past couple of years, but If i had to pick between the two I would go with Williams as well. 

Looking like the player we thought we signed, if not better as of late.