IGNORED

False dawn signings

It's coming up to the end of the season and I was musing about the summer and friendlies while thumbing through past community match programmes when some familiar but not so familiar names got me thinking again about poor signings. Every team ofcourse has made poor signings, and we're certainly no exception, but the 2016/17 programme for our match with Bristol Manor Farm contained a City squad with no less than 3 players that we'd signed (not loaned) who were never to wear a 1st team shirt in a competitive fixture, namely Tin Plavotic (now with Austria Wien in the Austrian Bundesliga), Paul-Arnold Garita (now with Al-Faisaly in the Saudi 1st Division) and Diego de Girolamo (now with Buxton in National League North). None of these players were blighted by injury just (presumably) deemed not good enough. I wonder how many other signings, not loans, there have been. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's coming up to the end of the season and I was musing about the summer and friendlies while thumbing through past community match programmes when some familiar but not so familiar names got me thinking again about poor signings. Every team ofcourse has made poor signings, and we're certainly no exception, but the 2016/17 programme for our match with Bristol Manor Farm contained a City squad with no less than 3 players that we'd signed (not loaned) who were never to wear a 1st team shirt in a competitive fixture, namely Tin Plavotic (now with Austria Wien in the Austrian Bundesliga), Paul-Arnold Garita (now with Al-Faisaly in the Saudi 1st Division) and Diego de Girolamo (now with Buxton in National League North). None of these players were blighted by injury just (presumably) deemed not good enough. I wonder how many other signings, not loans, there have been. 

The Austrian Bundesliga is not a bad standard, Uefa ranks it 10th in Europe, just below the SPL. but Plavotic has only played one game there and seems to have spent most of his career in the Austrian 2nd tier - not a good standard.  I think it's as well Tin got canned here. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

We signed two Irish lads in Coppels summer who were suggested by the same agent who represented the Hunt brothers and Shane Long for Coppel whilst he was at Reading

That would be Patrick Hoban and Jimmy Kehone. Both have made semi decent lower level/Irish league careers overall.

Jehad Muntasser - signed from Arsenal reserves in Jan 1998 as an attacking midfielder/striker but released a year later having never played a game.  Another from Arsenal was Jordan Wynter, made a couple of appearances then never seen again.

29 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Didn't we sign a young lad from Liverpool, on loan, a few years back and never played him? Danny something possibly? My memory is shot!

Danny Wilson? 
CB Liverpool signed from rangers and never made it there . 

• Thanks 1

I remember a Portuguese striker. Must have been 19. We had him on a weird trial and he played a few games and scored away at Bury I think. Went to play for Portugal under 19s or whatever it was at a summer tournament that year, got player of the tournament and for whatever reason we didn't sign him and he didn't do a lot after. During the Wilson era I think. Cant remember his name at all

Remember Andre Blackman? Signed from Portsmouth academy and did this RB interview where he said he was "fast, strong, with good vision" played one League Cup game looked none of those things,  then we had to sack him off for being a wannabe gangster. Had umpteen unsuccessful trials at various clubs - more trials than Joseph Barton - and then played in Scotland before dropping to non-league in his late 20s. Now at Dulwich Hamlet. 

• Like 1

It was Lorurenco Dasilva 

45 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I remember a Portuguese striker. Must have been 19. We had him on a weird trial and he played a few games and scored away at Bury I think. Went to play for Portugal under 19s or whatever it was at a summer tournament that year, got player of the tournament and for whatever reason we didn't sign him and he didn't do a lot after. During the Wilson era I think. Cant remember his name at all

That was Lourenco Dasilva

Edited by AG City
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

We signed two Irish lads in Coppels summer who were suggested by the same agent who represented the Hunt brothers and Shane Long for Coppel whilst he was at Reading

One of them went on to have a decent career, including a long stint at Exeter

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Tony pulis quote marcus browning could be the man to turn our season around. Latham wrote Marcus appears to be struggling for form fitness and game time, yes 15 stone in weight playing for Bournemouth reserves! That would have been the mother of false dawn's.

He didn’t join though did he?

When City signed Evander Sno I thought it was an amazing coup as he had been superb for Ajax against City in a friendly a couple of months before. He was better than the others mentioned in this thread but was a big disappointment. A bit like JET - on his day a world beater, on other days a panel beater 

• Like 2

There was a load of them during the Lee Johnson/Mark Ashton years. They were allowed to sign more players than any managers before and any managers since. Add Jack Challis, Kodi Lyons Foster, Shabazz Omofe, Denis Begovic, Ivan Lucic, Freddie Hinds, Gustav Engvall, Rory Holden, Hakeeb Adelukan, Mo Eisa, and Jonny Smith to the list of pointless signings. If they’d put that money towards one or 2 decent signings then the 1st team may have actually improved a bit. Some might say they were low risk gambles that could have paid off big time but half of them aren’t even in the professional game anymore despite still being in their 20’s. Fingers crossed Adam Murphy and Josh Stokes aren’t more names to add to the list. 

• Flames 1

20 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I think we should raid the lower leagues for players with ace names. Those three are brilliant.

Might not be any good at footy. But does wonders for team sheet diversity.

I don't that we'll ever sign better name than Ion Tistemetanu. That summer we also got Vilmos Sebok and Bo Anderson, a goalkeeper who was supposed to be the next Peter Schmichael. All looked to be exciting signings for what turned out to be a terrible season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

When City signed Evander Sno I thought it was an amazing coup as he had been superb for Ajax against City in a friendly a couple of months before. He was better than the others mentioned in this thread but was a big disappointment. A bit like JET - on his day a world beater, on other days a panel beater 

We never got the best out of him because GJ kept playing him on the wing. The guy was an attacking midfielder; and if played there regularly would have been a success IMO.

IIRC correctly; LJ was getting game time in midfield, and meant others playing out of position 🙄

• Like 2
  • Flames 1