IGNORED

Leeds Blowing It!

Swede

Well I never would've thought dirty Leeds would lose 4:0 at QPR. That leaves the second promotion spot firmly in swiss Tony's grasp. I am not sure which is worse but the thought that he could actually get away with all of that out of control spending and now have it masked by the millions gained in the Premier League, something just isn't right.

• Like 1

Back in the summer of 1992 (we had just won the old second division incidentally to become founder members of the new Premier League) Leeds United were Champions of England but for the next nine months couldn't win a single league game away from Elland Road, which in retrospect, makes tonight's capitulation over in London something small fry.       Back in 1970 for good measure they looked well on course to win the League (old first division), F.A. Cup and European Cup, but finished with nothing.     They're no strangers to missing out or letting their own fans down, strange sequence of results etc.

Like said before all things can happen at a business end of a season where stakes are at the highest and teams have the most to gain, and at the same time, the most to lose.     That score from London a few hours ago was great for us of course but We're not promoted yet by any measure.

I think after 22 years away from the highest level I would have wanted the team to accomplish the promotion objective by their own continued merits and performance rather than be dependant on other teams scores but fans our end are so eager to make it back and after years and years of abject failure and hideous non-progress many if not all would simply take what they can get to aid the team over the finish line.

There is absolutely no guarantee the team will still finish top two, Hull City need points almost as much as ourselves while Coventry have endured such a horrid last week they'll want to give the fans there something back with games remaining.      Huddersfield at home on the final weekend sounds like a party atmosphere and a win for the taking but what with all's at stake for us, it'll be nothing short of nerves and we're going to have to earn it if three points on the day means a way back to the Premier League.      

Leicester now promoted is all very well and good for them at least, but a week or two back thought they'd blown it and could well have ended up in the play-off games.      We can still finish 1st and them 2nd but we were runners-up in League One last season when really deserved to be champions so it's a similar scenario but in a higher league.     First or Second gets a promotion, many fans here won't care too much with runners-up position, they've been (we have) away from the top league for so long we just a return back and the automatic places will provide it.

Back last August if you had offered the position we're in with games remaining, just about everyone at Portman Road would have chomped off an arm to accept it.     But as again there's still work to do and right now, nothing has been decided and it's going to take further hard work, belief and commitment to complete the job or see this dream or objective really set in stone.  

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, Southend Blue said:

Back in the summer of 1992 (we had just won the old second division incidentally to become founder members of the new Premier League) Leeds United were Champions of England but for the next nine months couldn't win a single league game away from Elland Road, which in retrospect, makes tonight's capitulation over in London something small fry.       Back in 1970 for good measure they looked well on course to win the League (old first division), F.A. Cup and European Cup, but finished with nothing.     They're no strangers to missing out or letting their own fans down, strange sequence of results etc.

Like said before all things can happen at a business end of a season where stakes are at the highest and teams have the most to gain, and at the same time, the most to lose.     That score from London a few hours ago was great for us of course but We're not promoted yet by any measure.

I think after 22 years away from the highest level I would have wanted the team to accomplish the promotion objective by their own continued merits and performance rather than be dependant on other teams scores but fans our end are so eager to make it back and after years and years of abject failure and hideous non-progress many if not all would simply take what they can get to aid the team over the finish line.

There is absolutely no guarantee the team will still finish top two, Hull City need points almost as much as ourselves while Coventry have endured such a horrid last week they'll want to give the fans there something back with games remaining.      Huddersfield at home on the final weekend sounds like a party atmosphere and a win for the taking but what with all's at stake for us, it'll be nothing short of nerves and we're going to have to earn it if three points on the day means a way back to the Premier League.      

Leicester now promoted is all very well and good for them at least, but a week or two back thought they'd blown it and could well have ended up in the play-off games.      We can still finish 1st and them 2nd but we were runners-up in League One last season when really deserved to be champions so it's a similar scenario but in a higher league.     First or Second gets a promotion, many fans here won't care too much with runners-up position, they've been (we have) away from the top league for so long we just a return back and the automatic places will provide it.

Back last August if you had offered the position we're in with games remaining, just about everyone at Portman Road would have chomped off an arm to accept it.     But as again there's still work to do and right now, nothing has been decided and it's going to take further hard work, belief and commitment to complete the job or see this dream or objective really set in stone.  

Any non-parachute payment club that makes it to the Premier League these days is something to be celebrated so well done if you do it, the playoffs are both thrilling and heartbreaking in well for us at least in equal measure, but if you gave me a chance guaranteed it must be a fantastic way to get a promotion.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Any non-parachute payment club that makes it to the Premier League these days is something to be celebrated so well done if you do it, the playoffs are both thrilling and heartbreaking in well for us at least in equal measure, but if you gave me a chance guaranteed it must be a fantastic way to get a promotion.

Really, really hope they don't !:grr:

I was surprised how few Tickets Leeds fans were given the top tier looked full but not exactly packed and only a couple of hundred in the bottom tier , loads of empty seats in the bottom tier , as we well know Leeds would deffo have sold every ticket they were given 

7 hours ago, Swede said:

Well I never would've thought dirty Leeds would lose 4:0 at QPR. That leaves the second promotion spot firmly in swiss Tony's grasp. I am not sure which is worse but the thought that he could actually get away with all of that out of control spending and now have it masked by the millions gained in the Premier League, something just isn't right.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that the group that own Ipswich don’t **** about and keep a lid on Swiss. “Just do your job, that is all”. Americans, don’t go anywhere near them Americans or Arabs for that matter, be careful what you wish for mind. The same “sages” would probably call you a racist on the politics forum if you said that in a slightly different context ……………

Down here the Bristolian Owner and his offspring trying to introduce what I am informed by a few more sages is a “pure” form of promotion (******* pair of bullshitters) are still floundering after 25 odd years, two or three of which Swiss was handed the keys to the building and told to do what he likes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Edited by cidered abroad

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Not just get to the Prem, auto promotion That is up there with Leicester winning the Prem. Non PP in an auto spot, wow. One of the greatest football achievements IMHO. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Swede said:

There's been no out of control spending here (at Ipswich).

5 points is enough for us to be promoted. Beyond all of our wildest dreams! 

59 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

There's been no out of control spending here (at Ipswich).

5 points is enough for us to be promoted. Beyond all of our wildest dreams! 

Early days of Ashton I thought he started to do what he did here, not that I watched too closely but it did seem like the owners may have reeled him in and there was better focus after. 

I do wonder if he/we/the Club focused on buying for the first team he might have been ok here. Trouble is he was given total freedom and it turned into a mess. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Early days of Ashton I thought he started to do what he did here, not that I watched too closely but it did seem like the owners may have reeled him in and there was better focus after. 

I do wonder if he/we/the Club focused on buying for the first team he might have been ok here. Trouble is he was given total freedom and it turned into a mess. 

It coincided with SL being in Guernsey, Keith Dawe stepping away and SL thinking Jon could do the job he still has.  Ashton took advantage.  Good football administrator, but keep him in his box.  The Arizona Pension boys have done that after they saw what leaving him alone did in his first season there!

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Despite my strong views on Ashton, what I will say is that a decent squad sure but nothing stellar keeping pace and then after a slump going qgain with 3 Parachute clubs, not just any but Leeds, Leicester, Southampton who are all 3 of the bigger clubs to drop ag once and finishing ahead of 1 let alone 2....very very impressive 

That decent but not for this level stellar group of players, it is probably a 1 in 20 type scenario to align, to strike when the iron is hot is key of course.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

If Ipswich Luton is a Premier League game next season I might have to leave the country. 

Ipswich have a lot of top league history - 26 seasons in the last 60 years, including winning it of course, plus FA Cup winners - and have produced some superb players over the years.

Not a fashionable club, but good solid support, and worthy of a place in the PL should they get there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ipswich have a lot of top league history - 26 seasons in the last 60 years, including winning it of course, plus FA Cup winners - and have produced some superb players over the years.

Not a fashionable club, but good solid support, and worthy of a place in the PL should they get there.

Good, fair points. 

Counterpoint: Mark ******* Ashton 🤣

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Whereas Luton are a tinpot club who would be best suited playing 2015 in L1.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

UEFA cup winners as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes the year after leeds won the prem, they drew rangers in the European cup, battle of Britain the tie was known as, what a team ranger's had btw

Both clubs banned away fans