IGNORED

Decent end to the season...

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah I think that having lost Scott, this is a decent season on reflection. When we consider not just the points improvement, the league position improvement, the defence, and the FA Cup efforts... it's actually better than we had for way too long.

The footnote will always be that it has built on the foundations laid by Nige, but hopefully we can keep trending in the same direction.

Yep this season could be classed by some as progression - but that is only really progression in terms of the curve going up after several years of going down.

A little bit like Sunak saying, look I’m great I cut inflation…well how did it get so high in the first place?!

Either way, at least we are, for now, trending in the right direction thanks to both Pearson and Manning this season.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, Iron Acton Red said:

I think the momentum can go into next season. When Cotterill came in we were all over the place and finished strongly, then the following season we were promoted as champions.

I agree. We had the same with GJ - strong finish in 2005-06 (after a horrendous run of defeats earlier in the season) and then promotion the next season. As much as anything, this run of 4 wins and 3 draws should give the players confidence that they can be consistent at this level. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Over the past two seasons prior to this, we managed to to turn 4 losses each season into draws.

20/21 base: W15-D6-L25-Pts51

21/22 15-10-21-55

22/23 15-14-17-59

23/24 17-11-17-62 (one game to go)

@mozo will know I’d love us to win next week to get that winning season (more wins than loses), but what we’ve done so far is turn 2 of those draws into wins.

Lets be bullish and say we end

18-11-17-65

you're only talking about turning two losses into wins to break 70+ points.

That's the target for next season, whether we beat Stoke or not 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rob Dickie agrees

I had to quickly find his interview just now... He says top 6, which is obviously a good target for the players.

For me, the 70 points mark that you mentioned is a testing but achievable aspiration. And if we get there with one or two games to go, we'll be fighting for top 6.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...for us. In terms of results. At this level, over the past few years.

Taking the last 10 games as a run-in of sorts, I make it our best set of results since 2016-17 season. Last 9 reads: won 5, drawn 3, lost 1. 

We typically end seasons very poorly. 

Guaranteed to finish in 12th at a minimum, our best league finish since 2019-20 season. 

A bit of momentum going into next season? 

Here's hoping. 

Fingers crossed.

Baton passed to Tins for the summer now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Over the past two seasons prior to this, we managed to to turn 4 losses each season into draws.

20/21 base: W15-D6-L25-Pts51

21/22 15-10-21-55

22/23 15-14-17-59

23/24 17-11-17-62 (one game to go)

@mozo will know I’d love us to win next week to get that winning season (more wins than loses), but what we’ve done so far is turn 2 of those draws into wins.

Lets be bullish and say we end

18-11-17-65

you're only talking about turning two losses into wins to break 70+ points.

18 wins would be good. Highest since our last 70 point season (2018-19)

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Our last two promotion seasons were both on the back of strong finishes to otherwise poor previous ones.

But on the other side of the leaf, we've finished some seasons in terrible relegation form and it's not continued over thankfully.

Glass half empty for you there! 

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I'm hoping we can hold off on the protests until at least October...

Definitely bought himself some time, but depends on the strength of that start.

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Our last two promotion seasons were both on the back of strong finishes to otherwise poor previous ones.

In a lower league where we should be expected to at least be competitive given our stature and wage budget.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Momentum possibly not the right word. But it does at least mean we go into the summer in a positive frame of mind, with a bit of optimism, and it won’t harm summer recruitment or season ticket sales to finish in the top half rather than the bottom.

I was certainly Manning out before this good run, but without a doubt he has earned the summer now. Fair play to him.

I could have picked one of a few replies but yes I’d agree with that. I don’t think it’s “momentum” in the sense of week on week performances but definitely positive atmosphere and mood can carry through.

It’ll give any players / agents a better sense of confidence in Manning and City too so can sway signings.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think this is a season where an observer can take whatever they want. 

Interestingly last season we finished 10 points off of the top 6 and 15 points above the bottom 3. With only the Stoke game to go, we are again 10 points off of the top 6 and 15 points above the bottom 3.. spooky. In reality the overall average quality of the teams in any division for a specific season can make it easier or harder to rack up the points. For example, Wigan finished bottom last season on 39 points and held us to a draw twice, so this season we have 4 more points in the bag versus a much worse performing bottom team. 

Having said that, our recent run of results is certainly encouraging and our performance against Norwich in particular was excellent and yesterday against a rubbish Rotherham team we were dominating and professional. So as KITR mentioned in the original post hopefully the momentum will continue and carry over into the new season, a good early transfer window will certainly set the scene.

• Like 3