IGNORED

Decent end to the season...

52 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Credit where it’s due, decent end of season run and some good performances in there to match. A real shame we lost those Cardiff, QPR and Sheff Wed games now.

I don’t think momentum into a new season is really a thing though, it’s a new start in August and that’s where we can really judge protest.

In some respects it is, LM will have the majority of players still at the club and has now worked with them for 5 months and the last 7 games has shown some consistency and patterns of play that has yielded a decent return of points 

If you then look at the games prior that we lost or Drew and the majority of defeats were by a single goal then you can look to the summer and pre season with some confidence that the addition of 3-4 players in positions that we all know we need to challenge next season will build on the end of season unbeaten run (Stoke TBC)

certainly should feel an air of optimism that we shouldn’t be looking down but up towards the top of the league 

17 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Steady on you sound way too positive you must find a negative somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

The weather is crap

I know we're 7 unbeaten and top of the form table, but this typical Manning weather today 👎

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

We'd won just 3 games in 14 in the league, lost against 2 of the bottom three and put in a drab performance at home against our biggest rivals in the division. On top of which, the "3 straight wins" you talk about is a misremembrance on your part - we won 2 in a row and the league game before that was arguably our worst performance of the season against an admittedly excellent Leeds side.

FA Cup and the 2 game steak aside, our form from late December to early March was utterly atrocious over a 2 and a half month spell. Manning has done a great job of turning it round but there was nothing knee-jerk or unjustified about criticising Manning for our league performances from 29 December to 16 March and I can promise you I'm not going to apologise or feel embarrassed about thinking a manager who was showing relegation form in the league over a third of the season had to answer questions about his future in the role.

For a long time, we weren't good enough under Manning. He's turned it round but it'd be nonsensical to rewrite history. 

Not trying to rewrite history, yes there were some poor performances but there were also some good ones too that were conveniently  overlooked. wanting a manager out after just 3 of 4 months is just plain ridiculous in my opinion whether I backed the previous incumbent or not.

• Like 1

Been a pretty enjoyable season, some great results against the top teams in the division, some great cup performances and a strong finish to the season. This even with a string of injuries and a lot of negativity to contend with, unduly so in my opinion. Really looking forward to the 24-25 season already!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Undoubtedly a good end. And a good performance today - it’s a cliche to say you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but it applies today. Equally though over the course of seven unbeaten games odds are you will play some poor sides, some good sides so you ultimately get what you deserve - and that’s broadly been the case here.

The key question really is how this augers for next season. It’s possible that four of todays starting eleven won’t be here next year - Owers and Paul Binning were talking on RB about whether momentum will carry over - consensus was that it typically doesn’t but for me it’s how much you keep the squad together or augment early. This is where the January business of Bird and Stokes is key - they’re in the building day one and the latter is already training (not forgetting Murphy who is doing the longest pre season known to man).

So, for me what we need to do now to capitalise on this momentum is make the signings (and the exits) early. If Tommy isn’t going to sign, sell him in May if the price is good enough. If we are to sign Twine (and I’m not on that bus yet - thought he was excellent today but we know he can do it against that level of opponent) - do it early. Get negotiations with Williams and James if applicable done early - and set a hard deadline.

Ultimately good ends to the season often mean nothing. But if we want to make this one mean something, for me it’s now on the recruitment team to get everything done - if possible - in the next six weeks or so to enable everyone to be together day one of pre season.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Not trying to rewrite history, yes there were some poor performances but there were also some good ones too that were conveniently  overlooked. wanting a manager out after just 3 of 4 months is just plain ridiculous in my opinion whether I backed the previous incumbent or not.

On that basis, Sheffield Wednesday, Millwall and Plymouth would all have stuck with managers that clearly weren't working. I can only say that I utterly disagree. If there's significant evidence the wrong appointment has been made, why stick with something when there is no evidence that it is going to work out?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yep very true:

James, Williams, Conway, Twine and King could all be gone. That’s 4 starters today that were the midfield/forward spine of our team.

Add in potential bids for others like Pring. 

Big summer ahead (again)

Rumours Williams has been offered a contract.  I doubt anyone is that surprised by that.  But the big question is what offers might be get elsewhere.

I would like him to stay, but offering him a deal doesn’t mean it’s done.

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

certainly should feel an air of optimism that we shouldn’t be looking down but up towards the top of the league 

I agree.  It’s been a good run, and largely we’ve played well / better since Easter.

All on the summer now.  Over to the “hierarchy”.  Happily give LM credit for getting us back on track.  I would like us not to be so boom and bust though! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Just now, redkev said:

And bring them in early 

Think that’s key. Got to be prepared to move on, be ruthless.  We’ve been pretty good at that.  Dickie, Roberts, McCrorie all in early.  Knight might have been done early too had he not had Ireland commitments last summer.

Tinnion said today they are prepared.

Bring it on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...for us. In terms of results. At this level, over the past few years.

Taking the last 10 games as a run-in of sorts, I make it our best set of results since 2016-17 season. Last 9 reads: won 5, drawn 3, lost 1. 

We typically end seasons very poorly. 

Guaranteed to finish in 12th at a minimum, our best league finish since 2019-20 season. 

A bit of momentum going into next season? 

Here's hoping. 

We wouldn’t have got these results with Pearson in charge. 

:yawn:

Just now, Numero Uno said:

On the basis we were all moaning that we couldn’t beat shite sides (me included) the fact we’ve turned some shite sides over has to be a positive. Rotherham certainly fell into that category today……

I’ve never been fussed about who we get points against, whether they are gained home or away….unless it’s a genuine 6 pointer that means something.  Every point in this division is well earned, even today’s three.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...for us. In terms of results. At this level, over the past few years.

Taking the last 10 games as a run-in of sorts, I make it our best set of results since 2016-17 season. Last 9 reads: won 5, drawn 3, lost 1. 

We typically end seasons very poorly. 

Guaranteed to finish in 12th at a minimum, our best league finish since 2019-20 season. 

A bit of momentum going into next season? 

Here's hoping. 

Let’s hope so. Would absolutely love to be proved wrong over Manning - time will tell 

Twine returning has played a huge part I think. He may not appear to ‘stand out’ week in week out, but he just gives us something in midfield we have lacked for some time. 

Really hope we can sign him 

Next season is my first season in 29 years without a season ticket - League Champions incoming 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Nice to finish a season ( i know we still have stoke) on a positive goal difference, sure one of the stats people can say how often we have done that over recent years and also the number of clean sheets must be up there as one of our best

It would be the first time we've had a positive goal difference since 2018-19 season, which was +6. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A sign (amongst others) of continued progress.

Yeah I think that having lost Scott, this is a decent season on reflection. When we consider not just the points improvement, the league position improvement, the defence, and the FA Cup efforts... it's actually better than we had for way too long.

The footnote will always be that it has built on the foundations laid by Nige, but hopefully we can keep trending in the same direction.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rumours Williams has been offered a contract.  I doubt anyone is that surprised by that.  But the big question is what offers might be get elsewhere.

I would like him to stay, but offering him a deal doesn’t mean it’s done.

I agree.  It’s been a good run, and largely we’ve played well / better since Easter.

All on the summer now.  Over to the “hierarchy”.  Happily give LM credit for getting us back on track.  I would like us not to be so boom and bust though! 🤣🤣🤣

Confirmed by BT today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We seem to be going in the right direction.  One observation that Pearson made when here, is that we lose far too many games.  17 last season and 17 this season with one game to go.  We need to turn at least a third of those defeats into draws if we’re to be serious playoff contenders.

What about James or was today his Ashton Gate swansong?

It is a positive end to the season this.7 unbeaten only 2 real poor displays l.

Can we aim at 10th? Preston have 2 tricky games plus a vastly inferior Goal Difference. Top half now assured I assume?

Twine could he he what we need to thread it together. £5m I'd still be wary of though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

We seem to be going in the right direction.  One observation that Pearson made when here, is that we lose far too many games.  17 last season and 17 this season with one game to go.  We need to turn at least a third of those defeats into draws if we’re to be serious playoff contenders.

Over the past two seasons prior to this, we managed to to turn 4 losses each season into draws.

20/21 base: W15-D6-L25-Pts51

21/22 15-10-21-55

22/23 15-14-17-59

23/24 17-11-17-62 (one game to go)

@mozo will know I’d love us to win next week to get that winning season (more wins than loses), but what we’ve done so far is turn 2 of those draws into wins.

Lets be bullish and say we end

18-11-17-65

you're only talking about turning two losses into wins to break 70+ points.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know it's early, but there is someone conspicuous by their absence on this thread of positivity, can anybody guess who it is?  

Tbf he’s popped up on the match day thread saying he enjoyed today.

• Thanks 1