IGNORED

Decent end to the season...

Credit where it’s due, decent end of season run and some good performances in there to match. A real shame we lost those Cardiff, QPR and Sheff Wed games now.

I don’t think momentum into a new season is really a thing though, it’s a new start in August and that’s where we can really judge protest.

• Like 4

Back in early March, I said that what'd give me confidence in Manning for next season would be 16 points from the last 9 games. It seemed unlikely at the time - this was just after West Brom away and I thought Manning's time in charge was pretty much over bar the shouting - but we've got 15 from the last 8 and would hit that 16 if we get avoid defeat at Stoke. 

Manning has, to his credit, turned it around. As you say, we've got to carry that momentum into next season but I'm a lot more confident and upbeat now than I thought I'd be at this point. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 11
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Credit where it’s due, decent end of season run and some good performances in there to match. A real shame we lost those Cardiff, QPR and Sheff Wed games now.

I don’t think momentum into a new season is really a thing though, it’s a new start in August and that’s where we can really judge protest.

Personally I'm hoping we can hold off on the protests until at least October...

• Like 1

I've been thinking a little.

I think this is a season where an observer can take whatever they want. 

It's possible to look at the same facts, and see either great hope, expectations, and positivity, or signs of concern, failure, and negativity. What you see will depend on your outlook, your biases, your personality etc.

There's been brights spots as you rightly highlight, but lows as well.

Take these ten games. Yes great results, but one can counter that and say it was an easy run of fixtures, we got 4 (I think?) penalties, and some games were dead rubbers. 

It's just one of those seasons that in the moment seems very volatile and interesting but I suspect in 3 years' time no one will really remember anything bar the manager change in October.

These musings may not be totally on topic, and I'm not trying to be negative, but it is just one of those seasons where there's a bit for everyone.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I make it our best set of results since 2016-17 season.

Last season we had a spell where we got 19 points from 10 games, Birmingham - Blackpool, W5, D4, L1.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Our last two promotion seasons were both on the back of strong finishes to otherwise poor previous ones.

• Like 2

I

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...for us. In terms of results. At this level, over the past few years.

Taking the last 10 games as a run-in of sorts, I make it our best set of results since 2016-17 season. Last 9 reads: won 5, drawn 3, lost 1. 

We typically end seasons very poorly. 

Guaranteed to finish in 12th at a minimum, our best league finish since 2019-20 season. 

A bit of momentum going into next season? 

Here's hoping. 

I think the momentum can go into next season. When Cotterill came in we were all over the place and finished strongly, then the following season we were promoted as champions.

• Like 4

Just now, Alessandro said:

We all want to go into next season and the summer with some positivity - we now can. 

Over to Tinnion and JL to deliver what we need to kick in the transfer market 

At least they have correctly identified where we need more quality - attack. 

Let's see who they bring in.

• Robin 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes - I was specifically talking about the run-in though mate, as we perennially finish seasons poorly/average at this level.

Ah right got you. Yes I'll agree with that, although with a nod to the 15 points from last ten games we got a couple of years ago in 21/22.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've been thinking a little.

I think this is a season where an observer can take whatever they want. 

It's possible to look at the same facts, and see either great hope, expectations, and positivity, or signs of concern, failure, and negativity. What you see will depend on your outlook, your biases, your personality etc.

There's been brights spots as you rightly highlight, but lows as well.

Take these ten games. Yes great results, but one can counter that and say it was an easy run of fixtures, we got 4 (I think?) penalties, and some games were dead rubbers. 

It's just one of those seasons that in the moment seems very volatile and interesting but I suspect in 3 years' time no one will really remember anything bar the manager change in October.

These musings may not be totally on topic, and I'm not trying to be negative, but it is just one of those seasons where there's a bit for everyone.

Last season we had a spell where we got 19 points from 10 games, Birmingham - Blackpool, W5, D4, L1.

Very good point to be fair, the season as a whole can quite rightly be taken both ways. 

But saying our last 10 have been easy fixture is a tad misleading, average position of the teams we’ve faced is 13th and we are a midtable side. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

Very good point to be fair, the season as a whole can quite rightly be taken both ways. 

But saying our last 10 have been easy fixture is a tad misleading, average position of the teams we’ve faced is 13th and we are a midtable side. 

Average position now, or average when we played them?

We looked at this a few weeks back - there's a thread somewhere on it - we were pretty widely considered to have one of the easier run-ins. Not the easiest, but one of them.

Still, we've got the job done and that all you can ask.

Even if we lose without scoring next week we'll have a record of 18 points and 15 goals from the last ten, which is "finishing strong" as Manning wanted.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Momentum possibly not the right word. But it does at least mean we go into the summer in a positive frame of mind, with a bit of optimism, and it won’t harm summer recruitment or season ticket sales to finish in the top half rather than the bottom.

I was certainly Manning out before this good run, but without a doubt he has earned the summer now. Fair play to him.

• Like 3

Not sure we can build something important from this period of good results, especially considering that some players will probably leave...but a positive run is always nice, so well done Liam & the lads!

Edited by Dan Robin

Since the last international break we have looked a solid, decent Championship side. Can’t knock that.

Just hope we can make a challenge of it next season. It’s a bit boring when our season ends in March every year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Didn't someone post a while back that we had the second ' easiest' run in?

Still...you've still got to beat what's in front of you I guess. 

We failed miserably on the last ‘easy’ run of fixtures we had. Some progress then so credit to Liam and his team. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan Robin said:

Not sure we can build something important from this period of good results, especially considering that some players will probably leave...but a positive run is always nice, so well done Liam & the lads!

Exactly my thoughts as well.

How many that played today will still be with us next season.

All that time on the grass getting drilled with players that possibly won't be with us next season is wasted...back to square one if many leave in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Didn't someone post a while back that we had the second ' easiest' run in?

Still...you've still got to beat what's in front of you I guess. 

Yes I think that’s right. But to be fair, we have played Leicester and Norwich in that run in and outplayed both of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Back in early March, I said that what'd give me confidence in Manning for next season would be 16 points from the last 9 games. It seemed unlikely at the time - this was just after West Brom away and I thought Manning's time in charge was pretty much over bar the shouting - but we've got 15 from the last 8 and would hit that 16 if we get avoid defeat at Stoke. 

Manning has, to his credit, turned it around. As you say, we've got to carry that momentum into next season but I'm a lot more confident and upbeat now than I thought I'd be at this point. 

Why exactly did you think after the West Brom game his time was over? he'd only been at the club for about 3 months. Prior to that poor sequence of results over 5 or 6 games were  2 impressive performances against Premier league Nottingham Forest and 3 straight wins culminating in a very good performance against Southampton. The overreaction to those few games from mid February to mid March was totally unjustified and a little ridiculous as most football fans should know managers need time. The slices of humble pie might  be quite sizeable.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Why exactly did you think after the West Brom game his time was over? he'd only been at the club for about 3 months. Prior to that poor sequence of results over 5 or 6 games were  2 impressive performances against Premier league Nottingham Forest and 3 straight wins culminating in a very good performance against Southampton. The overreaction to those few games from mid February to mid March was totally unjustified and a little ridiculous as most football fans should know managers need time. The slices of humble pie might  be quite sizeable.

We'd won just 3 games in 14 in the league, lost against 2 of the bottom three and put in a drab performance at home against our biggest rivals in the division. On top of which, the "3 straight wins" you talk about is a misremembrance on your part - we won 2 in a row and the league game before that was arguably our worst performance of the season against an admittedly excellent Leeds side.

FA Cup and the 2 game streak aside, our form from late December to early March was utterly atrocious over a 2 and a half month spell. Manning has done a great job of turning it round but there was nothing knee-jerk or unjustified about criticising Manning for our league performances from 29 December to 16 March and I can promise you I'm not going to apologise or feel embarrassed about thinking a manager who was showing relegation form in the league over a third of the season had to answer questions about his future in the role.

For a long time, we weren't good enough under Manning. He's turned it round but it'd be nonsensical to rewrite history. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly my thoughts as well.

How many that played today will still be with us next season.

All that time on the grass getting drilled with players that possibly won't be with us next season is wasted...back to square one if many leave in the summer.

Yep very true:

James, Williams, Conway, Twine and King could all be gone. That’s 4 starters today that were the midfield/forward spine of our team.

Add in potential bids for others like Pring. 

Big summer ahead (again)

• Like 1