IGNORED

King

Ivorguy

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Just thought we should acknowledge what he has done for City, both on the pitch and off it, as mentor to younger players.

Not sure what he has done but am sure Camilla supported him all the way.

• Haha 9
  • Sad 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

100% & I thought it reflected really well on Manning that he gave him what is certainly his last appearance at Ashton Gate.

We’ve signed a number of veterans in the past, Jody Morris & Chris Brunt spring to mind & ended up with them on the wage bill yet not contributing.

King has been in every match day squad since the start of the year, has filled in at the back on occasion without ever letting us down & I’ll bet he’s on the lowest wages he’s earned for a number of years.

When you consider he arrived after a strange spell in Belgium where he didn’t play & was already approaching 33, he’s done himself & us proud.

Love to see him stay on as part of the coaching staff, we’ll find out if he does over the next fortnight or so.

Well said Graham - Andy King has been a terrific player all through his career and that was reflected when the Foxes came to AG earlier this season and their fans were chanting his name. That’s how much they loved him.

He’d played under Nige at Leicester and they developed great admiration for each other and Nige was the main factor why he joined us. 

Andy King is now on Mannings coaching team and who knows maybe he’ll move into management at a later stage 

There were quite a few on here moaning at the time when he signed due to his age. I raised then the reason he was signed was to start the revolution in raising the professionalism from the footballing squad. Plus, he was Pearsons eyes and ears in the changing room.

A maverick signing who helped changed the culture within the club. 

Thank you Andy King

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, Dollymarie said:

Don’t think he’s staying. His wife posted this yesterday on her instagram 

IMG_3275.png

Dolly my beloved but why would she post !"m a little teapot short and stout ?

• Hmmm 1

I think we are guessing a little at his impact on changing the atmosphere, personally he has had maybe a handful of good games and some poor ones (remember the sending off against Cardiff) and yesterday I would have preferred to see TGH - who is our future being given minutes.

I think we need to stop signing players in their twilight years - he’s clearly a model professional and a club supporter but we need to push the wages towards getting better value and demand consistent impactful performances.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

IMG_3275.png

Our best hope is he stays on in a coaching capacity, but this certainly seems to signify the end of his playing time here.

2 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think we are guessing a little at his impact on changing the atmosphere, personally he has had maybe a handful of good games and some poor ones (remember the sending off against Cardiff) and yesterday I would have preferred to see TGH - who is our future being given minutes.

I think we need to stop signing players in their twilight years - he’s clearly a model professional and a club supporter but we need to push the wages towards getting better value and demand consistent impactful performances.

I think we are all going off of the many platitudes given to “Kingy” by the players and staff alike. 😉

• Like 1

Great piece of journalism by James Piercy, on latest Bristol Live.......IMO a very underrated writer of football insight, he has written a great piece with regard to Twine, Andy King, and Dickie, and their contributions and otherwise to our slowly diminishing season?    I really like the style and observations of the soap opera that is Bristol City FC, but more than that, he definitely has a real grasp of what goes on under the skin of this great football club.  If we are are talking transfer's in the close season, he could very well make the step up to journalism's Prem League?

30 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

IMG_3275.png

I don’t get why two shirts means that he’s not staying. I can only guess that they’re being put away as he’s no longer playing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Proper old school pro . Not many around like him and well thought of by Nige , Liam and our fan base . Hope he stays on and hangs up his boots , looks unlikely though . Be interested to see where he ends up going if he carry’s on playing . 
Good luck Kingy !!

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t get why two shirts means that he’s not staying. I can only guess that they’re being put away as he’s no longer playing.

Val, Val, Val. it's obvious really.  Maybe not to you and I but I'm sure someone is in the know.

Edited by BigTone

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s his two daughter’s shirts. It says “one last time” underneath 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I think you’ll find a lot of people here, myself included are not just considering King’s impact on the pitch.

I think it’s guaranteed that he will have had an excellent effect on our younger players as somebody they could look up to and learn from.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don't know what he's on but I think he likely has given us value. Whoever we have in team, we're always going to need at least a handful of squad players who can cover a couple of roles, and step in when needed without souring the atmosphere if they're not being picked. Obviously it'd be a mistake to have - as we have at points in the past - a squad full of ageing professionals with inflated wages and limited sell-on value - but I'd not put King in that bracket and his time here has been one where he's often been one of the few older players supporting a young squad. 

Ultimately we need a balanced squad and I think a veteran model professional on a reasonable salary can certainly be a part of that. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

That’s his two daughter’s shirts. It says “one last time” underneath 

I guess it could mean that he’s played his last professional game or that he’s moving away. My hope is that he’s staying on Mannings coaching team - he has a great deal to offer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Our best hope is he stays on in a coaching capacity, but this certainly seems to signify the end of his playing time here.

I think we are all going off of the many platitudes given to “Kingy” by the players and staff alike. 😉

Are we sure his playing days are over or just painting our own picture from what's happening. Will he be offered a coaching role, any clues to that happening.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Not really a guess. Pearson said when he got here that the mentality pretty much stunk the place out and one of the first things he did was bring in King and James. Fast forward a couple of years and Manning comes in saying that the mentality of the lads was spot on (he didn't have to). That was no accident. To drive standards upwards you have to bring in one or two players who are leaders and demand high standards from others as well as practicing it themselves. Whatever your opinion of Nige that was one thing he did bring to the party. Our players get criticised for a lot of things related to their ability but mentality and effort isn't one of them. You couldn't say that three years ago.

I agree that the focus should be on signing younger players but with that you MUST have a sprinkling of experience. We ain't got no "Class of 92" coming through and it's that experience which gets the younger lads through tough games so you end up with 21/22 year old lads like Conway with 80 games under their belt and playing above the maturity levels of most 21/22 year olds, all of those in the Under 23's for example.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I honestly think you live in a parallel world compared to the rest of us. 

That list is growing 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Dolly my beloved but why would she post !"m a little teapot short and stout ?

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Exactly bring him on for ten minutes but play players who are our future TGH  knight etc nice that hes a city fan but so am i but id rather manning be looking at players of the future .