IGNORED

Bournemouth

38 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Not with the Lansdown family at the helm...

Always said this, although really what is it they actually do wrong? Had this discussion numerous times and the following comes out. Feel free to add.

Is it interference from Tinnion and Lansdown

Is it continuously hiring the wrong man or men for the club?

Is it just because we had our chance under GJ and missed it? Huddersfield, Blackpool had their lucky days. 

Are we not forward thinking enough as a club? Does Lansdown try to emulate others too often? See Brighton, Brentford and Luton. 

Do we overcomplicate the vision? The pillars was a nonsense structure and the no players over 26 or whatever it was. 

Is it the culture ? Not really sure what the culture is like within the club but having a little backstabber like tinnion can’t help.

Are we seen as a stepping stone? By the time we get a squad together to compete we lose our best players.

Well is it always going to be  going to be always that we sell on . My worry over the potential signing of  Twine is who gets sold to allow the Lansdown's to be happy with the sums. It's no good signing Twine, who I think would be a good signing, if 2 or 3 good players are sold to allow it to happen.

• Like 3

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Lots of people questioned Scott’s move to Bournemouth. Assumed he’d be back in the championship after one season in the premier. Some even believing we were a bigger club than them.

Here they are doing something we are unlikely to ever achieve. Showa what we know!

We are a bigger club than them, far bigger. That wasn’t ever going to stop him moving though as it’s largely irrelevant.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 2

I have a strong feeling that next season will finally be our year. The way we have finished the season, shows that pressing the trigger on Manning early, would have been wrong. We are bouncing and hopefully we will carry this into next season, especially as we have 2 exciting players to come in and I've no doubt we will sign 2/3 more in the summer. I've got a really good feeling about next season. Finally things are slotting in to place. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 3

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Are we up for % sell on ?

9 hours ago, Ashtongreight said:

I believe he’s out of contract, so no sell on unfortunately 

Kelly is OOC and was even linked with Italy around Christmas time.

At one stage around a year / 18 months ago , Kelly and Brownhill were linked with big moves and we looked like we could be on for a nice pot of money. Both I believe OOC this summer just as they look like getting the moves. 
Even Webster was a regular back then , getting plaudits and looked like he could step up.

That 18 months looks miles away now. 

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Lots of people questioned Scott’s move to Bournemouth. Assumed he’d be back in the championship after one season in the premier. Some even believing we were a bigger club than them.

Here they are doing something we are unlikely to ever achieve. Showa what we know!

We are a bigger club! Just not as well a run club!

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have a strong feeling that next season will finally be our year. The way we have finished the season, shows that pressing the trigger on Manning early, would have been wrong. We are bouncing and hopefully we will carry this into next season, especially as we have 2 exciting players to come in and I've no doubt we will sign 2/3 more in the summer. I've got a really good feeling about next season. Finally things are slotting in to place. 

I wouldn’t get too excited if I were you.  Credit to Manning on how he’s now starting to get the results and some consistency and he’s doing a very decent job.

Don’t forget that he isn’t the problem though.  We’re Bristol City and to bring in a couple of new faces in the summer, we could easily lose several of our top players to fund it, to avoid cracking open the nest egg.

We’re perenially mid-table for a reason, and I just can’t see past us in 12 months time lamenting the sale of players X,Y & Z and contemplating what we could have achieved if we’d kept them.

I’d love to be proved wrong, but I just don’t see SL resisting the chance of increasing the nest egg and I think that’s far more important to him than a push for the Premier League.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Don't think they did Ivan - simply thought he'd go to a bigger club when he did get his PL move. Newcastle, Spurs, etc.

Unfortunately for us, the injury he got start of season dampened his progress this season, so no sell-on for us. Yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Always said this, although really what is it they actually do wrong? Had this discussion numerous times and the following comes out. Feel free to add.

Is it interference from Tinnion and Lansdown

Is it continuously hiring the wrong man or men for the club?

Is it just because we had our chance under GJ and missed it? Huddersfield, Blackpool had their lucky days. 

Are we not forward thinking enough as a club? Does Lansdown try to emulate others too often? See Brighton, Brentford and Luton. 

Do we overcomplicate the vision? The pillars was a nonsense structure and the no players over 26 or whatever it was. 

Is it the culture ? Not really sure what the culture is like within the club but having a little backstabber like tinnion can’t help.

Are we seen as a stepping stone? By the time we get a squad together to compete we lose our best players.

3 words.

Financial Fair Play. 

EFL (e.g., Bristol City): FFP regulations in the EFL primarily aim to prevent clubs from accruing excessive losses through overspending on player wages and transfer fees relative to their revenues. Clubs like Bristol City, which might not have the same level of commercial revenue as Premier League clubs, find these regulations particularly constraining. They are limited in how much they can spend based on their income, which is generally lower than that of Premier League clubs. The regulations are meant to encourage sustainability but can also restrict ambitious investments aimed at promotion.

EPL (e.g., Bournemouth): In the Premier League, FFP rules are more focused on the scale of losses clubs can legally post over a three-year period. While Premier League clubs generally have higher revenues, especially from broadcasting rights, the stakes are also higher, and the penalties for FFP violations can include hefty fines or points deductions. Clubs like Bournemouth, which operate on relatively modest budgets compared to giants like Manchester United or Liverpool, need to balance ambition with financial prudence to avoid sanctions. Because Bournemouth haven't got 3 years of even being in the EPL (that they have reported on) they are not being scrutinised - yet. However expect a lot more sales/players out to happen over the summer/next season once they are forced to balance their books for FFP.

In essence, owners like Lansdown take on considerable financial risks under FFP regulations because their ability to invest in their clubs is restrained by the need to maintain financial health relative to earnings, making it a challenging balancing act between ambition and compliance.

24 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Don't think they did Ivan - simply thought he'd go to a bigger club when he did get his PL move. Newcastle, Spurs, etc.

Unfortunately for us, the injury he got start of season dampened his progress this season, so no sell-on for us. Yet.

I wonder what "Add on's" we may have put in the contract ?

20 Games ✔️

Stay in the Prem ✔️

Top 10 finish ??

We will probably never know , but I think he's had a good start in the Prem . Maybe next year he gets his "big" move. Semenyo too ? 

23 minutes ago, Mallorcan Red said:

3 words.

Financial Fair Play. 

EFL (e.g., Bristol City): FFP regulations in the EFL primarily aim to prevent clubs from accruing excessive losses through overspending on player wages and transfer fees relative to their revenues. Clubs like Bristol City, which might not have the same level of commercial revenue as Premier League clubs, find these regulations particularly constraining. They are limited in how much they can spend based on their income, which is generally lower than that of Premier League clubs. The regulations are meant to encourage sustainability but can also restrict ambitious investments aimed at promotion.

EPL (e.g., Bournemouth): In the Premier League, FFP rules are more focused on the scale of losses clubs can legally post over a three-year period. While Premier League clubs generally have higher revenues, especially from broadcasting rights, the stakes are also higher, and the penalties for FFP violations can include hefty fines or points deductions. Clubs like Bournemouth, which operate on relatively modest budgets compared to giants like Manchester United or Liverpool, need to balance ambition with financial prudence to avoid sanctions. Because Bournemouth haven't got 3 years of even being in the EPL (that they have reported on) they are not being scrutinised - yet. However expect a lot more sales/players out to happen over the summer/next season once they are forced to balance their books for FFP.

In essence, owners like Lansdown take on considerable financial risks under FFP regulations because their ability to invest in their clubs is restrained by the need to maintain financial health relative to earnings, making it a challenging balancing act between ambition and compliance.

It's a factor but at the same time, not necessarily IMO. Albeit add in Parachute Payments minus Solidarity Payments and it becomes a huge potential chasm.

The rules are harmonised somewhat between the two divisions, see Nottingham Forest. Albeit Bournemouth in the context of the rest of the League and their Upper Loss limit to 2022 and 2023 being £72m after Allowables are a bit of a mystery.  Promotion Bonuses not excluded as the Nottingham Forest case proved.

Post the Scott sale we definitely could have spent more than we did. 

PL- 3 Year Rolling Loss limit £105m plus Allowables (1 year £35m).

Championship- 3 Year Rolling Loss Limit £39m plus Allowables (1 Year £13m).

There was some debt Writeoff as part of takeover but that surely can't offset losses.

EFL very much go in bigger on deductions and sanctions.

Birmingham..£9m 3 Year Overspend, 7 pts for overspend, 3 for rising losses, 1 back for cooperation.

Derby- Well who knows in the end, they failed 3 Periods and the Settlement was 9 Points with a further 3 suspended.

Reading- Overspend was at a level whereby the EFL could go for 12 but Settlement was 6 and 6 suspended pending adherence to a Business Plan which they failed in Spring 2023. Think £18-19m in 2 years the overspend.

Sheffield Wednesday- Got -12 for an £18-19m 3 Year Overspend but halved on Appeal as they botched Stadium sale timing wise.

These clubs also got Embargoes, Business Plans or both in addition to the League pushing for points.

EFL stricter 100%. Albeit clubs voted this in.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

We are a bigger club than them, far bigger. That wasn’t ever going to stop him moving though as it’s largely irrelevant.

We aren't a bigger club than Bournemouth whose games have been broadcast around the world every week for 7 of the last 9 seasons, and who have had multiple internationals (including England internationals) in their squad during that time.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EFL very much go in bigger on deductions and sanctions.

Birmingham..£9m 3 Year Overspend, 7 pts for overspend, 3 for rising losses, 1 back for cooperation.

Derby- Well who knows in the end, they failed 3 Periods and the Settlement was 9 Points with a further 3 suspended.

Reading- Overspend was at a level whereby the EFL could go for 12 but Settlement was 6 and 6 suspended pending adherence to a Business Plan which they failed in Spring 2023. Think £18-19m in 2 years the overspend.

Sheffield Wednesday- Got -12 for an £18-19m 3 Year Overspend but halved on Appeal as they botched Stadium sale timing wise.

These clubs also got Embargoes, Business Plans or both in addition to the League pushing for points.

EFL stricter 100%. Albeit clubs voted this in.

yeah I am agreeing. Lansdown and co - and all the rest - have a true poisoned chalice in owning an EFL club in these crazy times. There is another thread about gambling in football being a negative force but the biggest gamblers are the club owners themselves. €350,000,000 and counting in our case.

It's really disappointing to see our team not quite hitting those top points records, especially with some of our best former players in the squad. It's hard to say if we'll ever get there, but in football, anything can happen, so let's stay hopeful!

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

What's worth considering is how many players are leaving, and how long it took on the grass to get his methods ingrained. 

During that period we dropped many points. We have also had an easier run of games recently.

Any new players will have to go through the same process, and there is always a chance they won't be a good fit. 

In that period, we are likely to repeat dropping points.

To get any chance of top 6 we have to hit the ground running. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

We will do ourselves proud and finally finish a strong 10th instead of our usual 12th 💪

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

I wouldn’t get too excited if I were you.  Credit to Manning on how he’s now starting to get the results and some consistency and he’s doing a very decent job.

Don’t forget that he isn’t the problem though.  We’re Bristol City and to bring in a couple of new faces in the summer, we could easily lose several of our top players to fund it, to avoid cracking open the nest egg.

We’re perenially mid-table for a reason, and I just can’t see past us in 12 months time lamenting the sale of players X,Y & Z and contemplating what we could have achieved if we’d kept them.

I’d love to be proved wrong, but I just don’t see SL resisting the chance of increasing the nest egg and I think that’s far more important to him than a push for the Premier League.

I mean you say were going to sell players that we will look back on wondering what we would of achieved if we kept them... not being funny but we aren't losing any of our best players this summer as nobody has really stood out for a better team to come in for. If I had to name our 4 key players then it would be Dickie, Pring, Knight and Twine. We may not sign Twine but I'd imagine he's going to be top priority, other than that we're not losing a semenyo or a Scott this window who would be extremely hard to replace. Conway may leave but it's not exactly hard to replace a 10 goal a season striker. I think for the first time in a long time we just have a good solid team, rather than one being carried by 1/2 star players. It needs tweaking slightly, just looking at the table shows you we are 4 wins off from being a play off challenging team. We need to get better by 10-15 points which is more than doable. IMO we need a decent striker, Semenyo type winger, a keeper that can genuinely challenge Max and not just be a number 2, back up centre back and maybe another CM should we lose both Williams and James. Then providing we keep the squad fit the expectation should be top 6. Going to be an interesting summer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Hard to understand how he is increasing his nest egg when we are making a loss each year.

2 hours ago, Fuber said:

Not quite sure about that. There was definitely a few “why would he leave us for Bournemouth” comments, much like Luton with Naismith. Only difference being, Luton were proved right.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

What's worth considering is how many players are leaving, and how long it took on the grass to get his methods ingrained. 

During that period we dropped many points. We have also had an easier run of games recently.

Any new players will have to go through the same process, and there is always a chance they won't be a good fit. 

In that period, we are likely to repeat dropping points.

To get any chance of top 6 we have to hit the ground running. 

I'd hope not too many are leaving personally.

Agree though a churn and turnover can set a club back, inevitable transition if so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super said:

We are a bigger club! Just not as well a run club!

I guess the “bigger” club will always be up for debate.

I would say their few years in the premier league outweigh anything we have ever achieved.

Would also question how well they were run. Lots of talk about how they got to the premier league. Fact is, they did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

29 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Hard to understand how he is increasing his nest egg when we are making a loss each year.

Is it a case of increasing his nest egg or is it more that it reduces the amount he needs to put in in respect of cash/equity each year?

I'd lean towards the latter. Seems more like that IMO..should we push a bit more bow we have done financial heavy lifting, yeah tbh we should've last year once Scott went but that us quite a different scenario.

The other consideration is that the much touted new FFP Regs that are due to come in should include Profit on Disposal of Players towards the relevant cost to Turnover ratio so there is that too.