IGNORED

Time to dump Sky for the summer?

I have a, let’s say friend, that watches sports channels via a fire stick and apps paid for annually. He says he’s tried two different ones and neither have the picture quality of Sky despite saying they are in HD and both are glitchy at times and both have not very user friendly interface.

In fact as his Sky still had a few weeks to run he was able to compare both side by side and Sky won in all departments comfortably.

Now, as he’s now saving a fair bit of dosh a year he’ll probably put up with it. But does anyone out there have a genuinely good HD picture using one? 

On 29/04/2024 at 16:09, RedLionLad said:

It's ok.....until you realise it's 4am and you've got to be up at 6am for work 😬

Could be worse, you could realise it's 6am and you were due in work at 4am 😳

• Haha 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I have a, let’s say friend, that watches sports channels via a fire stick and apps paid for annually. He says he’s tried two different ones and neither have the picture quality of Sky despite saying they are in HD and both are glitchy at times and both have not very user friendly interface.

In fact as his Sky still had a few weeks to run he was able to compare both side by side and Sky won in all departments comfortably.

Now, as he’s now saving a fair bit of dosh a year he’ll probably put up with it. But does anyone out there have a genuinely good HD picture using one? 

Apparently if you go into the Downloader app

Enter www.firesticks.com/simple-downloads/

There are many different options of categories you can view

By all accounts if you want new TV or Films you can get these through Tea TV

If you are looking for that days games  install sports fire, if you go to the schedule tab it brings up all the top games (inc Championship) here, I am told if you select a specific match you then get the option to watch either the home teams, away teams of EFL transmission of that fixture

By all accounts it has many other sports on there too

Like I say all the above is what I have been told and it is all FREE !!

• Haha 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Could be worse, you could realise it's 6am and you were due in work at 4am 😳

Reminds me of the time a couple of seasons ago, myself and a mate got the last train back from football to Weston after finishing in the 3 Lions

Thought it was a good idea to go to a late closing bar in Weston, which led onto a lock in at a certain bar near the sea front, which led to a staff party in a club.

Walking out in daylight realising I had less than an hour to get home and changed for the train to work wasn't fun

Luckily having my own office meant I could close the door and doze through the day still off my trolley

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Apparently if you go into the Downloader app

Enter www.firesticks.com/simple-downloads/

There are many different options of categories you can view

By all accounts if you want new TV or Films you can get these through Tea TV

If you are looking for that days games if you go to the schedule tab it brings up all the top games (inc Championship) here, I am told if you select a specific match you then get the option to watch either the home teams, away teams of EFL transmission of that fixture

By all accounts it has many other sports on there too

Like I say all the above is what I have been told and it is all FREE !!

But what is the picture quality like, I’ve seen many that say Hd or even UHD but the picture quality although watchable is nowhere near HD.

It is amazing what you can get though and you do wonder how much longer it’ll be a thing. I’ve no idea, maybe it’s unstoppable.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

But what is the picture quality like, I’ve seen many that say Hd or even UHD but the picture quality although watchable is nowhere near HD.

It is amazing what you can get though and you do wonder how much longer it’ll be a thing. I’ve no idea, maybe it’s unstoppable.

I am led to believe they are all OK

Sports is about 10 seconds behind, but movies and TV shows are HD

It's all free to download so I would advise giving it a try to see how download speeds are for you etc

• Thanks 1

On 29/04/2024 at 06:25, Never to the dark side said:

as there will not be any Sky football effecting ourselves from, the end of May till mid August,why not save some money and cancel for the summer

The euros will carry us through most of Summer,hopefully right till the end on 14 July

I get Sky though Now TV, I can end it when I want.

No contract.

• Like 2

Go on a scouting mission tomorrow at work there is bound to be someone who has a firestick link. If not give me a shout cause I got one 🤣

I have Sky on Nowtv for about £20 a month. Every time I get close to the end of my contract they make an offer. For me it's worth it in the summer because of the golf and cricket.  Shop around. There are deals to be had 

Edited by harvey54
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Reminds me of the time a couple of seasons ago, myself and a mate got the last train back from football to Weston after finishing in the 3 Lions

Thought it was a good idea to go to a late closing bar in Weston, which led onto a lock in at a certain bar near the sea front, which led to a staff party in a club.

Walking out in daylight realising I had less than an hour to get home and changed for the train to work wasn't fun

Luckily having my own office meant I could close the door and doze through the day still off my trolley

My hero 😉

22 hours ago, phantom said:

I am led to believe they are all OK

Sports is about 10 seconds behind, but movies and TV shows are HD

It's all free to download so I would advise giving it a try to see how download speeds are for you etc

A decent broadband speed is key apparently. But works really well apparently. As Tesco say “ Why Pay More”?

On 29/04/2024 at 12:13, phantom said:

Assume you realise people with sky watch more than football? 

I thought I had de ja vu reading this thread too.. 

I'm sure it was posted last year too 🤦

well it's like putting the clocks forward, a timely reminder! 😂

I don't have SKY or Virgin, I don't even have a telly (will get one, one day. the quality on my Mac/iPad isn't great). I can get by with Amazon Prime, and iPlayer/ITVhub etc. SKY is far too expensive with all the channels.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2024 at 09:40, ralphindevon said:

I 'know' someone that does, allegedly! ;)