IGNORED

Should James get a new deal?

Should James get a new deal?  

347 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/31/24 at 23:00

Yes but no!

He'll want 2 years. We've moved away from those kinds of deals and we have cover. 

So it would be a very reluctant no from me, even though he's one of the best players we've signed in my lifetime.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'd have no issue with a 2 year deal, he would play until age 34..elder statesman in the squad.

Naismith, Cornick and Wells are senior pros, King is surely heading outward..although if he can be kept on in a coaching capacity I wouldn't object.

King, James, Weimann all leaving at once albeit Weimann 6 months in advance seem a a bit of  risk to me.

If King goes and in the absence of Weimann, James would become the elder statesman of the squad.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

It's a no from me. We have enough in that position next season i.e Knight, TGH, Williams?, Bird and more cover from Naismith and McCrorie if needed. 

The wages would be available for another player to come in for a position we are lacking in. 

• Hmmm 2

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair.

Some of our best performances have come with him in the side, he isn't yet too old- the experience and knowhow, leadership is also (IMO) invaluable.

Personally we should I think make a big play to keep him and Williams.

Losing James, King, Williams and maybe Wells too we'll be a massive blow because their experience is invaluable. 

We simply cannot allow all that experience to walk out of the door. 

I think we may have felt the impact of Weimann leaving earlier on in the season. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd have no issue with a 2 year deal, he would play until age 34..elder statesman in the squad.

Naismith, Cornick and Wells are senior pros, King is surely heading outward..although if he can be kept on in a coaching capacity I wouldn't object.

King, James, Weimann all leaving at once albeit Weimann 6 months in advance seem a a bit of  risk to me.

If King goes and in the absence of Weimann, James would become the elder statesman of the squad.

I would prefer to keep James and lose Cornick any day

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Losing James, King, Williams and maybe Wells too we'll be a massive blow because their experience is invaluable. 

We simply cannot allow all that experience to walk out of the door. 

I think we may have felt the impact of Weimann leaving earlier on in the season. 

Agreed. A sprinkling of suitable senior pros is vital for leadership, experience and know-how.

Wells until 2025 I thought? Unless he is being moved on this summer.

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I would prefer to keep James and lose Cornick any day

Cornick is contracted until 2026 iirc so no done deal that he can be moved on even if we want to. He is a depth player or can be tbh, came close to some vital contributions near misses.. think West Brom and Ipswich at Home, there was another game too I'm sure.

20 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It's a no from me. We have enough in that position next season i.e Knight, TGH, Williams?, Bird and more cover from Naismith and McCrorie if needed. 

The wages would be available for another player to come in for a position we are lacking in. 

Just a small point (sorry), but when we say “wage would be available….” that assumes “another player” is just a wage cost, and doesn’t need a fee also.  Unless we can get another freebie, it’s probably not a binary wage discussion.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a small point (sorry), but when we say “wage would be available….” that assumes “another player” is just a wage cost, and doesn’t need a fee also.  Unless we can get another freebie, it’s probably not a binary wage discussion.

Exactly, any or all of Amortisation, Wages and Agents Fee for a new addition.

That new addition would need to be at least similar quality to James to make it worth it although I accept that age and room cor growth if already quite talented can be a significant upside.

Bird, Knight, TGH, Naismith as it stands.

The latter can also play CB which may yet he needed given our track record with injuries. Would argue strong room to make a good go at keeping both James and Williams.

Murphy possibly but not yet, his time will hopefully come but how fit or otherwise is he, how first team ready.

• Like 1

I've gone with yes as experience is vital if you really look at it we lose James and king ( I'm sure king will be leaving) unsure if wells Williams( new contract offer)will stay and Naismith ,We can't afford to much experience leaving the squad we lose those 5 players then it will be concerning even with an inexperienced manager.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

I've gone with yes as experience is vital if you really look at it we lose James and king ( I'm sure king will be leaving) unsure if wells Williams( new contract offer)will stay and Naismith ,We can't afford to much experience leaving the squad we lose those 5 players then it will be concerning even with an inexperienced manager.

Naismith and Wells are contracted to 2025 but I do agree.

• Like 1

I am a reluctant no.  Don't think he's mobile enough to play we want to, and with less game time if he stays he will be coming in with less match sharpness.

My main concern is that with King going, we will lose alot of experience and guidance a for a young team. 

Wouldn't be to put out of he did stay.  

It's a yes for me on a 2 year deal. I may expect him to play less but I feel he gives us a stability that we sometimes lack and with his invaluable experience he can offer as much off the pitch as on it. I don't see why Williams contract should be a factor as we can accommodate both. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Will the hierarchy do the right thing by the club. Whatever that may prove to be...

...Or will the anti NP sentiments mean King and James are sent on their way.

By the hierarchy I mean those above Manning in the first instance 

This statement is such bonkers shit stirring

The first part contradicts itself and the second part is wild imagination to make sure to drag any topic down into the mud

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Hmmm 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

This statement is such bonkers shit stirring

The first part contradicts itself and the second part is wild imagination to make sure to drag any topic down into the mud

Well I hope that whatever calls are made are down for the right reasons.

The fact that they haven't mentioned a new contract offer for James is disappointing IMO. Irrespective of late October, I feel it's a mistake.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

I've gone no, I love Matty, but I can't see us keeping both him and Williams, and I would rather we keep williams out of the 2 

Agree with this. Only one can stay IMO with bird coming in. Williams has the experience now and still has the legs for another 4/5 years at this level. 

• Like 1

2 years but on a wage cut , it’s vital we keep some experience within the squad as it is a pretty young group 

Experienced pros after James would be 

wells Williams Naismith Dickie Vyner - after that it’s all pretty much a young squad