IGNORED

Should James get a new deal?

Should James get a new deal?  

347 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/31/24 at 23:00

I find it really hard to vote on this , too many moving parts.

As a player and forgetting everything else , Yes.

If it takes up too much of the budget , No.

I think we have to sign everyone else first. Williams, Conway , new striker , new defender or whatever, then take stock.
Does he want 2 years ? 
Will he accept reduced wage to allow 2 years ?
Could we do a deal like King where he's a player coach ? 

If at the end of our recruitment , when we have have all that we want, and if we then have enough room in the budget , I think then is the time to make a decision. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

This should probably be asking "Joe Williams or Matty James" because I don't think there is any chance we keep both since we'd likely have too many in midfield.

Knight, TGH, Bird, Williams, Naismith and then cover from Roberts and maybe Ross. 

I voted no since I slightly favour Joe mainly due to being a little younger.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

This should probably be asking "Joe Williams or Matty James" because I don't think there is any chance we keep both since we'd likely have too many in midfield.

Knight, TGH, Bird, Williams, Naismith and then cover from Roberts and maybe Ross. 

I voted no since I slightly favour Joe mainly due to being a little younger.

2, possibly 3 in midfield. In the past we have gone wirh the latter.

McCrorie is sketchy,  Roberts??

Naismith needed to fill in at CB at times or in the back 3. Feels a bit thinly spread as it did under NP too 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith is still contracted until 2025, that isn't to say transfers  can't happen of course but Free Agent in 2025 as it stands.

Yes I knew that...it was more along the lines that he's the same age as James, more injury prone, and has another year. 

For me...overall...James brings the most to the team. He's the glue that holds us together. 

I want him to stay more than anyone. 

He brings so much to this team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BarnzFM said:

Imagine he’s on a fair amount, if he takes a cut then why not but i suspect he wouldn’t so I’ve gone with no

That's where a 'it depends' option would be useful. I think similar to you,  and voted yes!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Bentley, O'Leary

Hunt, Simpson, Baker Vyner, Kalas, Mariappa, Moore  Pring, Dasilva, Rowe

Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Lansbury Bakinson, Williams

Watkins, O'Dowda,

Adelakun

Palmer

Diedhiou, Semenyo, Martin, Wells

(Weimann)

Bajic, Thomas

Tanner, McCrorie, Dickie, Atkinson, Roberts

Knight, James, TGH, King, Naismith

Cornick, Sykes

Mehmeti

Twine and Dire

That is a thinning out and no mistake. For both managers post Summer 2021.

Some gaps have been filled by existing players being utilised well ie O'Leary, Vyner and Pring plus youth flourishing in the firm of Bell and Conway- Benarous but cor injuries could maybe have been one too.

Scott and Semenyo too of course but the latter had to go in particular due to FFP. We have for a range of reasons been thinning out on experience and numbers for 2 years now, I'd implore them to try and get James to stay.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

This is a tough one.  I think that James is the best footballer at the club. I also think he has been responsible for some awful displays by the team.

You can see that he is a professional's professional.  Hardly ever lets the team down.  Knows when to cover players; is a calming influence.

However, he also plays at a snail's pace. Slow, slow, slow; back to Vyner. Slow, back to Vyner.  There's no ambition.

This was almost certainly due to Pearson's direction.  Since Manning, James has put in some outstanding displays not least against XXXX where he was magnificent.

However, he has reverted to slow, slow, slow. Is this what Manning is asking for, or is it just year's of learning under Pearson? I suspect the latter.

So, could James find more of his magnificent performances under Manning? Almost certainly. He is a great player. But, he is not young, does not have the energy of a Knight, and is probably expensive wage wise.

For this reason I voted No, but with a heavy heart.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chivs said:

This is a tough one.  I think that James is the best footballer at the club. I also think he has been responsible for some awful displays by the team.

You can see that he is a professional's professional.  Hardly ever lets the team down.  Knows when to cover players; is a calming influence.

However, he also plays at a snail's pace. Slow, slow, slow; back to Vyner. Slow, back to Vyner.  There's no ambition.

This was almost certainly due to Pearson's direction.  Since Manning, James has put in some outstanding displays not least against XXXX where he was magnificent.

However, he has reverted to slow, slow, slow. Is this what Manning is asking for, or is it just year's of learning under Pearson? I suspect the latter.

So, could James find more of his magnificent performances under Manning? Almost certainly. He is a great player. But, he is not young, does not have the energy of a Knight, and is probably expensive wage wise.

For this reason I voted No, but with a heavy heart.

Xxxx 😂😂😂. I get it I bet a few don’t 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

James had a great season, but not sure we will keep both Williams and James and even if we did unless it was a 1 year contract it would be a no.

Lots have been said that we don't have the right players to play the way Manning wants, and assume Matty is one of those, so why would we keep, we can't be sentimental about it.

• Facepalm 1

I’d wonder if they’d go for a two year deal where the second years salary is lower if he doesn’t play a certain number of games in year 1. Like a 1 year deal with an option of another year but offers the player more security. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith is still contracted until 2025, that isn't to say transfers  can't happen of course but Free Agent in 2025 as it stands.

He's a decent footballer but now too prone for injuries. And if played as a back line defender, always likely to make a superb pass for the attacker to score. Only one problem; the attacker/scorer will not be playing for Bristol City.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I’d be happy either way regarding James/Williams. James very sensible with the ball and reads the game so well, we’d also massively miss the experience of James and King who would be good to mentor Bird and even Meerholz who could get an opportunity. Williams is a very energetic player with a lot of bite and we’d miss that fearlessness

I’m leaning towards Williams but I’ll be happy if either or even both stay

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair.

Some of our best performances have come with him in the side, he isn't yet too old- the experience and knowhow, leadership is also (IMO) invaluable.

Personally we should I think make a big play to keep him and Williams.

Should be kept, we need a squad and experience is key. Why break it up? Sooner shift wages of Cornick. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He's a decent footballer but now too prone for injuries. And if played as a back line defender, always likely to make a superb pass for the attacker to score. Only one problem; the attacker/scorer will not be playing for Bristol City.

Injuries are an issue, yea.

As for the providing of the assists, he is deeper so that isn't too likely but pass before the pass, key passes, breaking the lines. When he is deeper midfield the risk over reward that you describe feels less likely. At centre back it is a greater risk sure.

Posted (edited)
Just now, pride of the west said:

Hes clearly not being offered one. Tinman would have dropped his name in along with conway and Williams at the weekend. 

More fool Tinnion and Jon Lansdown then.

I grow to dislike the ******* at the top of the club more by the day.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's a yes for me on a 2 year deal. I may expect him to play less but I feel he gives us a stability that we sometimes lack and with his invaluable experience he can offer as much off the pitch as on it. I don't see why Williams contract should be a factor as we can accommodate both. 

That was my thoughts also, we are paying them now so why not keep them both on, especially when their contribution is so good, on & off the field. I guess it comes down to if they get much better offers elsewhere :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I dont see us needing him. IF and big IF we get Williams done we will have Bird, TGH, Knight, Naismith, McCrorie and Williams who can all play there, and rather save the 20k+ hes on now and use it for 2 players.

I'd certainly offer him something that suits us - that then depends whether that is agreeable to him.

Probably 1 year on a salary that fits our budgets.

Problem being that he'd walk into any league 1 club on a 2 or maybe even 3 year deal.

Plenty of other championship clubs would snap him up on a year or 2 deal.

We'd probably need to offer him 2 years to stand a chance of getting him to sign it - so it really depends on whether we see value in that or whether we are confident in investing that wedge in a younger player.

MJ has been excellent for us & I'd love to see him stay, but I think he'll get better/longer offers from elsewhere & that will sway him into a move away. 

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Then 'we' are mugs....

Although we know already 😆

Not if we are competing against a 3 year offer.

I don't think that's something we should be considering for him. 

1 year, definitely. Possible an agreeable option on a 3nd year, based of appearances/availability during the 1st year. 

10 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I'd rather keep both and move on Naismith.

Think 99% of supporters would.

Problem is sicknote is under contract for next season & James isn’t.

• Like 1