IGNORED

Glad to see the back of that season.

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the biggest disappointment for me was we went into the season with an air of optimism. And then it's just turned out to be meh with a lot of bumps and some highs along the way.

Definitely the 'mehest ' season for a while

• Like 2

And yet no matter how people might spin it, this is our sixth most successful season (league position wise) in the last 40 years. Serial under achievers for sure, but we have progresssed year on year.

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the biggest disappointment for me was we went into the season with an air of optimism. And then it's just turned out to be meh with a lot of bumps and some highs along the way.

Really? I certainly wasn’t.  I can’t remember the last time I felt optimistic going into a new season. 2019 perhaps, when Mark Ashton was running riot, and we were signing Monaco wonder kids and the like.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 2

For me the excuses end for good next season. It’s on the hierarchy to support the First Team Manager by recruiting what we need. It’s obvious where we lack quality. There is no need to be playing “water treading” football any more. We aren’t in FFFP shite and needing to play kids and 35% possession hit them on the break football at HOME to survive.

We’re over the worst of the finance issues and it’s time to improve what we see at the Gate on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday etc. If Liam cannot deliver that by October/November he will most likely be gone. In terms of what happened today, it was poor but the season is done and a small number would genuinely benefit from taking a break for their own sanity imo.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Horrible kits, horrible football at times, terrible month of October, truly horrific display of ‘leadership’ from the top. 

So glad it’s over. Excited for the summer and next season. 

Agreed, it’s above Manning where we are total filth and that needs to change.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

Would have finished 9th had we won too which would have been quite remarkable all things considered. Top half finish though so can’t complain too much. That was genuinely my hopes for this season. However next year it has to be a play off push. We are 4 wins off from being a top 6 side. Thats easily achievable with a good window. Time to sit back and enjoy England winning the euros now and Mbappe on the roof this summer lads 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

I had some cautious optimism had certain provisos been met. I would perhaps have been alright with 11th although was hoping for a top 10 finish/push.

*A happy NP.

*Scott retained, with a better squad and better structured squad around him or..

*..A reasonable chunk of Scott money reinvested.

*A tactical framework, we had settled on 4-3-3 or some variation of and were steadily building on the counter attacking base in the  last chunk of 2022-23.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ENOUGH said:

Dont worry there will be another one just like it, starting in a few months. Full of words of hope and little else, we need the engine driver to drive us on and not be content to sit in a layby with the engine just ticking over. Others pass us by on the road some going up and yes some going down, here we sit its what The Driver wants.

Very apt username. 👍

• Haha 1

I think the major problem is we have been yet again shafted by the senior management/owners of the club.

We all know this and a lot of the fan base, myself included, will not accept Manning.

For what it is worth, I don't rate him, he can't read games, doesn't inspire me so can't see him inspiring the players either.

The club wants to just tread water, continue to cut the wage bill, we get sound bites but it's no investment in the playing squad, just cutting costs until we capitulate. 

We need a clear directive from the owners to what they exactly want with no new sound bites and a new manager so we can finally put the Nige/ Manning times to bed.

Can I see this happening and  us move on?

No unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

The season isn’t over yet, surely we can have a meltdown over the retained list first! 🤣

"Dire Mebude has signed a three year contract".

But, jokes aside, this season will be remembered for events off the pitch rather than on it. An 11th placed finish with +2 GD and a decent home record won't live long in the memory at all. Pretty much a par result given wage budget, revenue, history, and any number of other metrics/indicators you could use. It's really been quite standard out on the grass.

But, obviously what will be remembered, what has been unusual, is the off the pitch stuff. The fallout between Steve Lansdown and Alexander in the summer, including both claiming credit for the biggest transfer fee we've ever received. Ditching the CEO role. The sacking of Pearson, replaced by Manning, the winter window that largely failed. Heavy losses, car crash interviews. It's just been a very poor season off the pitch.

But hey, we got to the semi-final of the U18 FA Youth Cup, so it's not all been terrible.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

"Dire Mebude has signed a three year contract".

But, jokes aside, this season will be remembered for events off the pitch rather than on it. An 11th placed finish with +2 GD and a decent home record won't live long in the memory at all. Pretty much a par result given wage budget, revenue, history, and any number of other metrics/indicators you could use. It's really been quite standard out on the grass.

But, obviously what will be remembered, what has been unusual, is the off the pitch stuff. The fallout between Steve Lansdown and Alexander in the summer, including both claiming credit for the biggest transfer fee we've ever received. Ditching the CEO role. The sacking of Pearson, replaced by Manning, the winter window that largely failed. Heavy losses, car crash interviews. It's just been a very poor season off the pitch.

But hey, we got to the semi-final of the U18 FA Youth Cup, so it's not all been terrible.

Shows where we are, when 8 home defeats is considered ‘decent’.

Definitely a season to forget for me and can’t honestly see that improving next season either.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Biggest issue I have this season is the hierarchy of the club writing the season off in October, then the lies that followed. It's going to take some time to accept that, if ever possible. 

Totally agree. I hate the lansclowns with a passion. Arrogant & condescending liars

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

We finished exactly where most thought we would. 

Some. Many on here were expecting to finish top 10 with an outside tilt at the play offs. ( with proper backing last summer).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Shows where we are, when 8 home defeats is considered ‘decent’.

Definitely a season to forget for me and can’t honestly see that improving next season either.

7th best Home Record tbh. Albeit a big gap to 6th and above.

I don't think the Home Fortresses at this level for a lot of sides are what they were 15 years ago, let alone longer. When I have time I'll go through Average PPG at the level for Home sides and Win Ratio.

25 pts from 23 League away games, notably 15 from 16 under Manning looks a bigger concern ironically on some levels.

3 wins in those 16 Away games...3 in 7 under NP, despite those under NP including trips to Leeds and Leicester.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

Agree it’s good to see the back of this season. I hope to be proved wrong but I expect next season to be worse. We have a less experienced management team and I expect them to squander the Scott money in the summer and then, come Christmas, to be pointing fingers at each other about who is ‘responsible’. It is classic, no ambition, no strategy, no plan Bristol City. Now go on Jon and Brian, prove me wrong. I know who I will hold responsible if we are not top six at Christmas. The Ashton Gate two. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

Sir Nige continues to be the most over rated manager in our recent history - whose main achievement was conning the fan base into thinking he had the impossible job. Thankfully he has gone, and we actually have someone who has the potential to improve our players and take us forward. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 11

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It’s been like that for me for the entire time that I’ve been following City - the sad reality is that it never gets any better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, harvey54 said:

From Nige's sacking, the lies and ramblings of the owner and Binman, the turgid displays and pathetic performances against relegation threatened sides, Twines unimpressive loan contrasting with the highs of beating Southampton and Leicester it's been a roller coaster ride of a season. 

I know a lot of us have been around the block with City (watching them tumble to the lowest position in the 4th division from the 1st was interesting) I can honestly say that this season has been one of the most underwhelming for me as a City fan. 

I've said in another thread that not even signing Mbappe could excite me for next season. I feel sorry in a way for Manning. He can't win unless we get to the play offs as he'll always be the manager I didn't want.

Good riddance to 23/24 season 

I can only agree with all of this. The season that saw me decide against renewing our 2x STs. 

• Like 2