IGNORED

Happy Birthday John Galley!

8 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Big John is 80 today! My first City hero and all round first class bloke. Been lucky enough to have known him and his family since he came to the club in 1967 and so glad his service to the club was recognised at the Rotherham game.

I know that he loved his time at City and living in Bristol and made many good friends down here. 

“I’d walk a million miles for one of his goals...”

johngalley.jpg

Giant. My first hero also 😍

3 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Giant. My first hero also 😍

Ditto, and along with the atmosphere in the EE, including his songs, played a big part in my falling for City.

:chant6ez:Galley, Galley, Galley, Galley, he is the King of the West Country :chant6ez:

• Like 2
  • Robin 3

Skirton would get to the byline and hang the ball to the edge of the 6 yard box. Galley would collect the ball, defenders and keeper when going for the header.

Would probably be a foul these days, but back then common practice.

1 hour ago, ray savino said:

Big John is 80 today! My first City hero and all round first class bloke. Been lucky enough to have known him and his family since he came to the club in 1967 and so glad his service to the club was recognised at the Rotherham game.

I know that he loved his time at City and living in Bristol and made many good friends down here. 

johngalley.jpg

I had his phone number as a kid and would call on the odd occasion for a chat.  Think he worked as a delivery man also whilst playing also.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I had his phone number as a kid and would call on the odd occasion for a chat.  Think he worked as a delivery man also whilst playing also.

When I met the legend in Nottingham he told me the thing that ruined his time at City was some flipping kid ringing him up every five minutes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, ray savino said:

johngalley.jpg

Love this photo.

When I was an apprentice at S&H (opposite the Shitty Asshole) others had page 3 beauties pinned to their workbenches, not me, I had this beauty (big picture cut out of the Evening Post I think). 

Some tried to deface it but soon got the message that that may not be a good idea! 

Memories eh?

2 hours ago, ray savino said:

johngalley.jpg

The City player in the background looks like he's still playing. Has he not realised we've scored?

One of ny first City heros in the late 60s too along with Chris Garland.  Hearing he is 80 makes me feel old.

I too remember Skirton bombing down the wing and Big John scoring from many of his crosses.

I also remember Chris having set him up with about half a dozen gilt edged sitters, all of which he missed standing clapping him sarcastically when he finally put one of them away.

Great player I have fond memories of and wish him a very happy 80th and many future birthdays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

I had his number when he was into insurance still got his card now .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ENOUGH said:

looks like G Sharpe behind him? and those benches around the inside, sat on them a couple of times....close to the action but view wasnt great

Yes, that was the Watford game as mentioned above. It was Watford's first game after promotion and I remember Ken Furphy saying that if that's all the second div has we've got no worries, and I thought...yeah ,your going to lose every game 1-0  !

51 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

One of ny first City heros in the late 60s too along with Chris Garland.  Hearing he is 80 makes me feel old.

I too remember Skirton bombing down the wing and Big John scoring from many of his crosses.

I also remember Chris having set him up with about half a dozen gilt edged sitters, all of which he missed standing clapping him sarcastically when he finally put one of them away.

Great player I have fond memories of and wish him a very happy 80th and many future birthdays.

Also the other way round at Charlton. Chris storming into the edge of the  penalty area with John totally unmarked  screaming "Chrissy, Chrissy, Chrissy" only for Chris to find the side netting ( a la Macrory) and John retorting "you stupid *** " !

Knees up mother brown

knees up mother brown

up the table we will go

e aye e aye e aye oh

when we got promotion 

this is what we’ll sing

we all love him

we all love him

Galley is the king

oi

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Any one recall the team/match that Galley allegedly "punched" the ball into the the net,which the Green'Un/Evening Post made a big thing  of at the time?

Yes, at the park end. Birmingham I think. From my angle (from memory), he leapt up to head the ball, thought he wasn't going to get it so moved his arm but did get it and buried it into the net with his head.

Actually think it was disallowed?

I was a kid then, 69 now... trouble remembering what I had for tea yesterday these days 🤣🤣

Apart from his goal scoring, JG was our stand in goalie. Home to Millwall 71 or 72 and they took out Ray Cashley. John put on the gloves and green shirt. It meant we had lost both a goalie and the main striker. The game ended 2-2.