IGNORED

Retained list

Sad to see James go. I think the squad will really miss his experience and calm head on the pitch. 

Hopefully Max Bird will hit the ground running and we’ll sign the creativity in the middle that we so desperately need. 

• Like 2

Typical of Bristol City Analysis. Seems to think King, James, Weimann on high wages. 🙄

Screenshot_20240511-105555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25da22512d7c318f9867a5aacdd84251.jpg

How does that figure given that one resigned and two joined as we were entering austerity.

Plus as non Parachute Championship clubs in particular were emerging blinking into the light post Covid.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Haha 1

Murphy is a 6 or an 8 if you want to pigeon holes position so he will play back up to bird, TGH, knight and Williams. Not to mention stokes who looks ready to go as far as reports suggest and he would also look to command a midfield spot in the 10. Then we have the hopefully returning be around who I am desperate to see get a full season with us. I think we’re well stocked for options 

No surprises in the retailed list. It’s much as we expected. 

Hopefully Williams will sign a new contract but if he moves on it leaves the engine room a little underpowered. That said Manning has Bird arriving with Championship experience plus Murphy who looks as if he can make the step up. TGH and Knight both capable in midfield.

Manning will have a full preseason to assimilate the new guys in to his methods and come August we’ll be ready for a long season.

One slight worry tho is the lack of leaders on the pitch. Obviously Dickie is one but him apart the cupboard is pretty bare.

Vyner is an experienced CB but not that vocal, nor is Atkinson. Wells also is vastly experienced but playing up top can’t effect the deeper lying players that much.

47 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Matty James, the best CM we’ve ever had at this level. A hill I’m willing to die on. 

He could well be, but also a shout out to Gary Shelton 1990/91 (finished 9th) and Marvin Elliot 2007/8 (finished 4th)

• Like 3

I Would be very surprised if no one wanted James to stay. More like we couldn’t come to an agreement with him. Absolute shame but players come and go, would like to think Bird & TGH combined were his replacements but someone with experience will be key in the summer. Over to you Brian.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Murphy is a 6 or an 8 if you want to pigeon holes position so he will play back up to bird, TGH, knight and Williams. Not to mention stokes who looks ready to go as far as reports suggest and he would also look to command a midfield spot in the 10. Then we have the hopefully returning be around who I am desperate to see get a full season with us. I think we’re well stocked for options 

Stokes is not a central player is he so it's apples and oranges to a degree.

58 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Releasing James - big mistake.

Been our most underrated player since NP came in.

Sad about that

Maybe but necessarily our decision , if offered one last decent contract elsewhere fair do’s 

Regarding the younger players I believe I heard BT publicly state that the "crop of 18's" we have coming through are more talented. If that wasn't a nail for the current 21's I don't know what is.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Typical of Bristol City Analysis. Seems to think King, James, Weimann on high wages. 🙄

Screenshot_20240511-105555_Chrome.thumb.jpg.25da22512d7c318f9867a5aacdd84251.jpg

How does that figure given that one resigned and two joined as we were entering austerity.

Plus as non Parachute Championship clubs in particular were emerging blinking into the light post Covid.

Thats Jon Dolman, once of this parish. Believe he left because he didn’t really like people disagreeing with him.

He’s probably correct about James being towards the top end of wage earners - remember even though post Covid it was a free agent 3 year deal. Money saved in fee could be used in package. For the strengthening positions he’s probably also right (although GK will be a low cost back up) and I’d envisage the wages freed up by James/King/Weimann will be far below what we’ll need to pay to get the quality we need in those midfield and striker positions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No surprises in the retailed list. It’s much as we expected. 

Hopefully Williams will sign a new contract but if he moves on it leaves the engine room a little underpowered. That said Manning has Bird arriving with Championship experience plus Murphy who looks as if he can make the step up. TGH and Knight both capable in midfield.

Manning will have a full preseason to assimilate the new guys in to his methods and come August we’ll be ready for a long season.

One slight worry tho is the lack of leaders on the pitch. Obviously Dickie is one but him apart the cupboard is pretty bare.

Vyner is an experienced CB but not that vocal, nor is Atkinson. Wells also is vastly experienced but playing up top can’t effect the deeper lying players that much.

Tbh if all the experts on here have noticed we may lack experience, just maybe for all the shit they are given on here , Manning etc may realise it as well , let’s give it a little while to see what happens before instant judgement that everybody is an idiot 

• Like 3

James will have plenty of options such is his pedigree. I suspect if we offered anything it would've been only a 1 year deal, which is almost politely saying "there's the door" A 2 year deal & a closer to home move North West would suit him. Can see him landing up at a Preston or Blackpool.

As much as most fans I would've dearly wanted him to stay (we play better and are more secure when he does) we have to trust the recruitment team who have been pretty cute up to now. They see exactly what we see and more.

Good luck for the future Matty.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Their gain will be our loss IMO..

Feels another strategically poor call, penny wise pound foolish too.

I liked James but we were never keeping him and Williams. We will miss his calmness and composure but you could also say we would miss Williams’ bite and energy. I don’t think it’s half as bad as you and other people have made out personally

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Their gain will be our loss IMO..

Feels another strategically poor call, penny wise pound foolish too.

I think it may be more nuanced than that. He's got family up North & its not impossible he wanted to go back.  It was oft mooted that he cut a pretty lonely figure as the Portishead Costa on a regular basis. 

I'd like to have kept him, but I'd rather we retain Williams (not that it's necessarily an either/or).]

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thats Jon Dolman, once of this parish. Believe he left because he didn’t really like people disagreeing with him.

He’s probably correct about James being towards the top end of wage earners - remember even though post Covid it was a free agent 3 year deal. Money saved in fee could be used in package. For the strengthening positions he’s probably also right (although GK will be a low cost back up) and I’d envisage the wages freed up by James/King/Weimann will be far below what we’ll need to pay to get the quality we need in those midfield and striker positions.

Thought it was him.

Hard to say really isn't it because often such compliance plans can have an Upper Wage limit, the Wage bill on the football side fell by £6-7m season on season. Without NP, King  Simpson, Rennie we may not have got him as affordably as is likely or maybe not at all.

24 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I liked James but we were never keeping him and Williams. We will miss his calmness and composure but you could also say we would miss Williams’ bite and energy. I don’t think it’s half as bad as you and other people have made out personally

Why were we never keeping him and Williams, I suspect the wage bill has slashed, it would be perfectly affordable, Williams amortisation also off the books.

I reckon our total consolidated wage bill was £27-28m season just gone, £29m tops.

The amortisation was also down as well as a 13th month of other expenses off the books.

The Football side was probably £21-22m all-in? 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

King, James and Weimann is a lot of experience, know-how and good habits to lose in one hit.

King we knew about playing wise, albeit coaching wise efforts could have been made.

Weimann obviously we know.

James big one for me- still think he has plenty to offer, both ability and the experience and know-how

I heard a rumour at the last game of the season that he was chatting to Derby about playing for them next season.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

King, James and Weimann is a lot of experience, know-how and good habits to lose in one hit.

King we knew about playing wise, albeit coaching wise efforts could have been made.

Weimann obviously we know.

James big one for me- still think he has plenty to offer, both ability and the experience and know-how

Is that all of our players with top-flight experience gone? Along with the only top-flight experience from the dugout and board room?

They’re trying to reach a destination that they’ve never been to, without anyone who has a map.

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

10 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Is that all of our players with top-flight experience gone? Along with the only top-flight experience from the dugout and board room?

They’re trying to reach a destination that they’ve never been to, without anyone who has a map.

Nahki has Prem experience, but that's about it I think.

• Like 2