IGNORED

Retained list

10 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The fact that Byfield was our top gol scorer was one of the reasons we didn’t go up automatically. Promotion teams need goals 

It still amazes me how our best season at this level for many years was with a very average side, take Basso out and we would have been mid table. GJ falling out with Adriano was the end for that team. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It still amazes me how our best season at this level for many years was with a very average side, take Basso out and we would have been mid table. GJ falling out with Adriano was the end for that team. 

I couldn't even tell you what our first choice team was that season certainly before Adebola came in.  None of our strikers or AMs like Noble started more than about 20 games and generally two of them started at once. 

We seemed to have more strength in depth through a lot less injuries than in recent seasons though

• Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Basso turned down a new contract, despite his agent urging him to sign, as he was convinced Premier League clubs wanted him. Not so but it's a shame it ended badly.

15 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I couldn't even tell you what our first choice team was that season certainly before Adebola came in.  None of our strikers or AMs like Noble started more than about 20 games and generally two of them started at once. 

We seemed to have more strength in depth through a lot less injuries than in recent seasons though

My memory - accurate or otherwise is nine of the eleven picked themselves last season and then it was 2 from Noble, Trundle, Byfield and - from Jan - Adebola. 

I know Carle played quite a bit from January onwards but can’t remember if that was because of injuries or him dislodging other players.

16 hours ago, stortfordred said:

I know it’s been done to death but we must keep James. Even if he only plays 10-15 games next season, he is still the most intelligent footballer at the club. He has so much experience to pass on and you cannot underestimate his influence. 

While I certainly agree SR, what (as I think it might / could be, given their relatively high salaries) if it's James OR Williams? What would you do then? 

Edited by Ska Junkie

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sign anyone with a halo, got to be good!

That was my first thought.

My second is why have they signed him in a half-built underground carpark?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

While I certainly agree SR, what (as I think it might / could be, given their relatively high salaries) if it's James OR Williams? What would you do then? 

Well I know he’s done better this season and we do need a Rottweiler in there, but to be honest I’ve never felt that potential has been fulfilled with JW. Given the choice, I’d have to plump for Jamo. But the clubs, as they say, are already in the bag. Unless you can replace with guaranteed better, keep both. 

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Well I know he’s done better this season and we do need a Rottweiler in there, but to be honest I’ve never felt that potential has been fulfilled with JW. Given the choice, I’d have to plump for Jamo. But the clubs, as they say, are already in the bag. Unless you can replace with guaranteed better, keep both. 

Would the arrival of Bird, plus the additions of Stokes and to some extent Murphy have any bearing? All potentially fine players but, (apart from Bird) no experience at this level. Given Naismith can play their roles as well, I have a suspicion, no prior knowledge, that only 1 of them will stay with us. James or Williams? I've absolutely no idea, both excellent players and so important to our club, given their experience.

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great to see Rae Nelson get 3 years. Just a shame we now don’t have a first team system that suits wingers anymore!

Would imagine this means the wider retained list will be out today too. Or maybe Monday. 

Yep, Backwell tweet - Academy Tweet - Williams tweet at 6pm with retained list I reckon.

22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great to see Rae Nelson get 3 years. Just a shame we now don’t have a first team system that suits wingers anymore!

Would imagine this means the wider retained list will be out today too. Or maybe Monday. 

Would say Sykes is a natural winger but he’s been playing in the two behind the striker. Definitely a pathway there for him

• Like 1

Forward Raekwon Nelson has signed a three-year deal, while Zak Ali, Taine Anderson, Callum Hewlett, Billy Phillips, Jed Meerholz, Joseph James and Archie Taylor have signed two year contracts.

Forwards Brandon Bak and Tim Ap Sion have been rewarded with one-year professional contracts.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/academy-news/ten-young-robins-sign-pro-deals/

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Would say Sykes is a natural winger but he’s been playing in the two behind the striker. Definitely a pathway there for him

Yeah, and he hasn’t done very well (imo). He’s far better as an out and out wide player, same as Rae who’s a natural wide man as you’ll ever wish to see. 

Hopefully there’s a plan for 4231, or less reliance on needing to have wingers play fully inverted as 10s next season. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yeah, and he hasn’t done very well (imo). He’s far better as an out and out wide player, same as Rae who’s a natural wide man as you’ll ever wish to see. 

Hopefully there’s a plan for 4231, or less reliance on needing to have wingers play fully inverted as 10s next season. 

I don’t think we’ll only play 3421 next season, but with the lack of centre back options at one point that we had it made sense to stick with it towards the end of the season. I don’t think Sykes has been bad there but maybe his width suits a right wing back birth more?

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Forward Raekwon Nelson has signed a three-year deal, while Zak Ali, Taine Anderson, Callum Hewlett, Billy Phillips, Jed Meerholz, Joseph James and Archie Taylor have signed two year contracts.

Forwards Brandon Bak and Tim Ap Sion have been rewarded with one-year professional contracts.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/academy-news/ten-young-robins-sign-pro-deals/

Does anyone know if we put one year options in as standard with young professional contracts? It feels to me like instinctively the thing to do but there may be reasons it isn't a good idea (or practical or possible) to do so. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Does anyone know if we put one year options in as standard with young professional contracts? It feels to me like instinctively the thing to do but there may be reasons it isn't a good idea (or practical or possible) to do so. 

Pure guesswork on these players - no.

Why?  Because of compo schemes. But as soon as they start playing first team then is when we might start thinking more seriously about things like that.

@Lrrr thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pure guesswork on these players - no.

Why?  Because of compo schemes. But as soon as they start playing first team then is when we might start thinking more seriously about things like that.

@Lrrr thoughts?

My guess would be no and I'd guess why is because you want the player to be fine with signing it the deal, for one reason if you're letting the club add an option you're letting the club keep you around without giving you a pay rise, if you're good enough to be kept around for another year why not just offer you a new deal? 

We've usually offered second contracts quickly to tie down ones we like after their first pro so I don't think it makes a big difference. 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Thanks 2

King, James and Weimann is a lot of experience, know-how and good habits to lose in one hit.

King we knew about playing wise, albeit coaching wise efforts could have been made.

Weimann obviously we know.

James big one for me- still think he has plenty to offer, both ability and the experience and know-how

• Like 11