IGNORED

We’re Recruiting!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If only these jobs were available when I’d just finished studying Maths and Stats….30+years ago.  Then again, computers weren’t even that big a thing back then!

The salary will probably be in line with 30+ years ago too! 🤣🤣🤣

Great opportunities though for the right person(s).

I just gave my son my first programming book, from 39 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The industry as a whole just doesn't properly pay "office" staff at any level. All wages go on coaches and players.

The sport as a whole relies on the perceived glamour of the game...and once you see behind the curtain even that is an absolute sham as you say (the hours etc).

I was under the impression that most (non-head) coaches got paid pretty poorly. Is there truth to this?

26 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I known Man Utd’s head scout for the south west and south wales ‘ he’s on minimum wage plus expenses’ sounds glamorous but the hrs are shit and most of the lads he’s recommended utd haven’t even bothered to have a look at .

Yep, I’m pretty sure I know who you’re on about.

• Like 1

Just now, Sleepy1968 said:

I was under the impression that most (non-head) coaches got paid pretty poorly. Is there truth to this?

It does drop off pretty quickly, but the "name" assistants and those that move with a manager and come as a package are on good money.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, I’m pretty sure I know who you’re on about.

Yeah you would’ he was at wolves for a while’ used to play for Taunton’ Bridgwater’ pretty sure he was at minehead when they were chucking money around years ago .

53 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I known Man Utd’s head scout for the south west and south wales ‘ he’s on minimum wage plus expenses’ sounds glamorous but the hrs are shit and most of the lads he’s recommended utd haven’t even bothered to have a look at .

I read a great book about scouts a while back , they are not treated or paid well at all.  Some teams rely on love for the Club or the game and barely pay expenses and as you say the hours are terrible . Some got extra if someone they scouted made it big , but for the most part it was a pittance .  
A friend of my inlaws was a part time Scout, scouted us a few times, worked for Chelsea and other London Clubs , there were times I'm pretty sure he didn't even get expenses and ended up packing it in. 

You have to really love the game and the work , because no one does it for the glamour or pay that's for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I've insured a fair no. Of football clubs for their death in service benefit.  For non playing staff, once you get below Assistant manager, the salary levels were unbelievably poor. The head groundsman for what was a big Championship team was on an absolute pittance.

Maybe we should crowd fund Fevs so he can do it but still afford to eat!

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I read a great book about scouts a while back 

The nowhere men??

A great read.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I read a great book about scouts a while back , they are not treated or paid well at all.  Some teams rely on love for the Club or the game and barely pay expenses and as you say the hours are terrible . Some got extra if someone they scouted made it big , but for the most part it was a pittance .  
A friend of my inlaws was a part time Scout, scouted us a few times, worked for Chelsea and other London Clubs , there were times I'm pretty sure he didn't even get expenses and ended up packing it in. 

You have to really love the game and the work , because no one does it for the glamour or pay that's for sure. 

Yep and the paper work involved now is mind boggling.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I've insured a fair no. Of football clubs for their death in service benefit.  For non playing staff, once you get below Assistant manager, the salary levels were unbelievably poor. The head groundsman for what was a big Championship team was on an absolute pittance.

Likewise, I've seen a fair number of football club employment contracts over the past couple of years, EFL and PL. I've also done due diligence on a club for a buyer.

The fact that the buyer didn't even want to check the contracts of anyone other than first team players and the head coach tells you everything.

Then again I've also seen a few manager/assistant contracts that have seemed incredibly generous in hindsight given how those particular tenures went!

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If only these jobs were available when I’d just finished studying Maths and Stats….30+years ago.  Then again, computers weren’t even that big a thing back then!

The salary will probably be in line with 30+ years ago too! 🤣🤣🤣

Great opportunities though for the right person(s).

Shame really, I have always seen you in a version of these scenes from Moneyball. And before you ask, no not the Brad Pitt character. :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I thought Brian blocked everyone on twitter then unblocked them, then blocked them, then unblocked them to tell everyone about himself and then blocked them again. 

Are we all blocked or unblocked right now or is @Davefevs singularly blocked? 

Sorry confused! I have twitted about a dozen times in my life so not down wiv da kids so much except when they want money or Christmas presents of course!

Does tinman do the toilets as well with all the blocking and unblocking going on 😂 

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

Maybe we should crowd fund Fevs so he can do it but still afford to eat!

The nowhere men??

A great read.

And yet there were people fuming on here thinking Scotty Murray was on £70k a year because of that daily Mail article 😅😅

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

These sort of jobs always refer to data. Without wishing to be rude to people who like this sort of thing, data analysis is easy. What is difficult is converting it into information. 

A bit dismissive perhaps. When I was working I came across plenty of people, including senior ones, who could barely open an Excel file let alone use Python, R and the like!

But I agree with your sentiment by and large. As per the statisticians' mantra:

Data is not information

Information is not Knowledge

Knowledge is not wisdom.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

I honestly don’t know why anyone would work in one of those roles in football. Or indeed any ops/media role in football, full time. 

The pay is absolutely horrendous, the hours are very unsociable, and you’re near enough working every day of the week. If you whittled down the terrible pay into hours actually worked, I wouldn’t bet against it being below living wage. 

I did it at Yeovil for three years. Pete, from 2009 to 2012. Had to run the website, social media was not as big back then of course, and was classed as a "media assistant". Was paid £840 a month as a freelancer so I could do other jobs and to be honest, it fitted in quite well with my other courier work. 

However that was before my travelling was taken into account with two/three trips down to Yeovil most weeks eating up a lot of my money. Why did I do it? Because I loved the club, I loved being able to mix with the players, to hear of transfers before they happened, to be there on media day, and to work for the club I'd supported since the early 70's.

Trouble is, the club (and very other club that pays poorly) knew this. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

I wonder how the interview questions will go?

Maybe along the lines of....

Q.   Did you pass your 11 plus?

A.   Yes I did.

Q.   Alright big head, bet you cheated!

Q. Can you spell?

A. Yes of course.

Q. Sorry, you're over qualified.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I did it at Yeovil for three years. Pete, from 2009 to 2012. Had to run the website, social media was not as big back then of course, and was classed as a "media assistant". Was paid £840 a month as a freelancer so I could do other jobs and to be honest, it fitted in quite well with my other courier work. 

However that was before my travelling was taken into account with two/three trips down to Yeovil most weeks eating up a lot of my money. Why did I do it? Because I loved the club, I loved being able to mix with the players, to hear of transfers before they happened, to be there on media day, and to work for the club I'd supported since the early 70's.

Trouble is, the club (and very other club that pays poorly) knew this. 

Sorry, was quite vague, don’t understand why (or how!) anyone can do it full time. 

Free lance or flexi, it must be the dream, like your situation sounds!

Just now, petehinton said:

Sorry, was quite vague, don’t understand why (or how!) anyone can do it full time. 

Predominately a young person’s game.

• Like 1

Just now, petehinton said:

Ah, should have read your post better, Pete. That said, I'm sure the club knew I'd take less money as a YTFC fan than someone who wasn't. And that applies to most clubs that advertise for staff in those areas. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, chinapig said:

A bit dismissive perhaps. When I was working I came across plenty of people, including senior ones, who could barely open an Excel file let alone use Python, R and the like!

But I agree with your sentiment by and large. As per the statisticians' mantra:

Data is not information

Information is not Knowledge

Knowledge is not wisdom.

I read an article that said a similar sort of thing. Not 100% what club it was, but I think possibly Brentford.
They were talking about the data , collection and accumulation . The gist was , everyone gets the same data, more or less. Because everyone is looking at the same things , using the same ideas etc. The point was, it was how you decipher and use the data which makes the difference. 

Wish I could remember who it was , it was an interesting article .

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Glad to see the 2 things that I can do well and have trained for I.e. medicine and interpreting data, are so poorly regarded by football clubs in terms of how well (or rather not) they are paid. The reality is that if you want the best qualified, most experienced people for roles like this, then offering just above minimum wage is not going to work, especially when anyone can see how much the players are paid by comparison - i.e more per month than the club are willing to offer you annually. Bit insulting really - pay peanuts, get monkeys. I am sure that SL paid his actuaries at Hargreaves Lansdown very well as they are the ones who can interpret the data and help make the investment decisions. Why skimp at BCFC? Shortsighted!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Glad to see the 2 things that I can do well and have trained for I.e. medicine and interpreting data, are so poorly regarded by football clubs in terms of how well (or rather not) they are paid. The reality is that if you want the best qualified, most experienced people for roles like this, then offering just above minimum wage is not going to work, especially when anyone can see how much the players are paid by comparison - i.e more per month than the club are willing to offer you annually. Bit insulting really - pay peanuts, get monkeys. I am sure that SL paid his actuaries at Hargreaves Lansdown very well as they are the ones who can interpret the data and help make the investment decisions. Why skimp at BCFC? Shortsighted!

This was an early player viz from 1st Team Intern analyst F.Nightingale, before she took her first paid job in Healthcare, after she fell out of love with footie.

image.thumb.png.8d2ee8826c1affc7a20a5ee496d7974e.png

• Like 2

People like being involved with football clubs.  Some of the biggest clubs in the world were a nightmare to get money out of (& in context the insurance premiums were peanuts). If they were an "ordinary" client it wouldn't be tolerated but football clubs get away with it.

• Like 1

It’s not just the pay. It’s the overall package which is actually quite poor. 
They’re offering 20 days holiday - well below average. 
They’re offering pension. That’s standard. 
And then they’ve got 3 x salary life insurance - pretty much expected in most roles nowadays. 

Not a very strong benefits package. 

If anyone from Bristol Sport HR department want to get in touch with me I’ll be happy to talk them through options to help strengthen that benefits package. 😁

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry said:

It’s not just the pay. It’s the overall package which is actually quite poor. 
They’re offering 20 days holiday - well below average. 
They’re offering pension. That’s standard. 
And then they’ve got 3 x salary life insurance - pretty much expected in most roles nowadays. 

Not a very strong benefits package. 

If anyone from Bristol Sport HR department want to get in touch with me I’ll be happy to talk them through options to help strengthen that benefits package. 😁

You’d assume that’s 20 days plus 8 bank holidays which is the legal minimum.

But any job not advertising the salary is a massive red flag for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Unan said:

I’m back doing a Computer Science bachelors at the big age of 29, Data Science is the field I’m looking to work in, this would be a dream job, but for the wages football pays, I’d never work in it!

I did an IT Masters at age 27 after getting a Zoology degree and working in the NHS for 4 years. Best career move of my life. I was earning £7.5K a year in the NHS and by 2002, 12 years later I was earning £2K a week as a contract programmer. 

... and the best thing about the MSc was that the (Conservative) government paid for it. There was a shortage of IT people in the late 80s and they were paying for graduates from other disciplines to retrain in IT.

• Like 1