IGNORED

Club Captain & Vice 24/25

19 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Totally forgot about knight! My bad

I mean it could be one of the ones you mentioned. Would be more fitting to see Vyner walk out with it on, although looks like Knight is Manning’s captain. It’s a solid choice if so as you’d imagine out of the 46 games next season, injury permitting, knight plays the majority, if not all of them, which is what you want in a captain. 

Unless we sign someone who cannot be denied it (unlikely) then Knight will almost certainly be the default on-the-pitch captain.

Wells probably has a shout as grandfather of the house, Naismith as well if he's ever fit. Vyner and Dickie also. I guess there's my picks for vice.

I think Knight is nailed on. He shows so much commitment, great attitude on the field and one of our best players already. Plus sounds like a proper professional everytime he's interviewed. At 23  he's already captained Derby youth and at senior level, Irish youth team and us this season.

Edited by RedRoss

8 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Seeing as club captain Weimann and vice captain James have left. Who do we think will step into roles? 

Dickie after his stellar first season or reward Max / Vyner, what a dream for both that will be captaining your boyhood club! 

Makes you think. Knight doesn’t strike me as a natural leader. Granted he leads by example but it feels like we’re short of leaders in this team

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BristolGit said:

Makes you think. Knight doesn’t strike me as a natural leader. Granted he leads by example but it feels like we’re short of leaders in this team

Have to say I agree and I’m happy to be proved wrong I don’t see Knight forthcoming enough on the pitch. Great player and I really like him, yes, but not sure if he’s captain material. Not sure he has that presence , but maybe they see something in training I don’t. 

Edited by JP Hampton

Wouldn't be surprised if we went to the Man City route, with Manning's CFG background.

No idea what the squad think and who has the necessary leadership qualities in the group. We've all been in changing rooms where it's obvious who the captain and leaders are.

I'll go for Knight C and Tommy as VC if he's stills here. Don't think any of the defenders or GK need or would benefit from having it.

I would go for Vyner, whenever he has played as the senior defender he has looked after the others brilliantly and been very vocal.

Only trouble is I don't see him playing every match once Atkinson is fit again

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 2

The most sensible thing to do is do what happened when Weimann was made captain. Nige left the decision up to the players as it was for them to determine who they wanted to lead them

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/weimann-new-club-captain/#:~:text=Andi Weimann has been chosen,Matty James as vice-captain.

This way the players have “buy in” to the decision. I see no reason for us not to follow that process now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The most sensible thing to do is do what happened when Weimann was made captain. Nige left the decision up to the players as it was for them to determine who they wanted to lead them

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/weimann-new-club-captain/#:~:text=Andi Weimann has been chosen,Matty James as vice-captain.

This way the players have “buy in” to the decision. I see no reason for us not to follow that process now.

I am thinking this too. And if it's left to the players Dickie has got to be a strong contender too as recently voted player of the season and players player of the season wasn't he?

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what if there isn't a unanimous candidate within the squad, and in fact 2 or 3 players are suddenly in competition, and the eventual skipper knows that half the players preferred someone else? You know what humans are like!

Knight doesn't seem to say much on the pitch. To busy dashing about. When Vyner stepped in to take on the role he was quite vocal giving out orders and encouragement but needs to be the center back where he's most comforable with Dickie and Atkinson either side. That's a pretty decent trio.

• Admin
22 hours ago, Ashton Fete said:

Everything points towards Knight and Haaland I reckon 

Where has all this Haaland talk come from? I reckon we are far more likely to be going after Mbappé given he's on a free.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Where has all this Haaland talk come from? I reckon we are far more likely to be going after Mbappé given he's on a free.

Do reckon Manning would play him?………….:rofl2br:

It should be Vyner as it’s clear to see he’s the real leader out there in terms of being vocal and organising but I think it will be Knight with Dickie as vice. I get the impression Manning has picked those two out as his favs in the squad. If it was left to the squad to decide like Nige did a few years back I’d expect Vyner would be captain but can’t see that happening under Manning. I’ll actually be quite disappointed if Vyner isn’t at least vice, I can’t remember anyone showing the desire to turn their city career round as much as he has shown, it’s the traits you look for it in a captain and I’m not quite sure why Manning took the vice off him and gave it to Knight. I’ve never understood that decision as I don’t really see any leadership qualities apart from his work rate, but lots of the lads work hard and weren’t given the armband. 

7 minutes ago, TommyD68 said:

It should be Vyner as it’s clear to see he’s the real leader out there in terms of being vocal and organising but I think it will be Knight with Dickie as vice. I get the impression Manning has picked those two out as his favs in the squad. If it was left to the squad to decide like Nige did a few years back I’d expect Vyner would be captain but can’t see that happening under Manning. I’ll actually be quite disappointed if Vyner isn’t at least vice, I can’t remember anyone showing the desire to turn their city career round as much as he has shown, it’s the traits you look for it in a captain and I’m not quite sure why Manning took the vice off him and gave it to Knight. I’ve never understood that decision as I don’t really see any leadership qualities apart from his work rate, but lots of the lads work hard and weren’t given the armband. 

I worry that if you give Zak the armband it will affect his game.  He needs to 💯 concentrate on himself imho…that’s when he’s at his best.  I thought similarly with Flint, he seemed like a leader, but he was another who needed to focus on his own game.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but what if there isn't a unanimous candidate within the squad, and in fact 2 or 3 players are suddenly in competition, and the eventual skipper knows that half the players preferred someone else? You know what humans are like!

I'm not sure that would necessarily matter though. Obviously it'd be a problem if there were massive rifts in the squad and almost half the team hated the idea of the chosen candidate becoming captain but if the options were broadly liked and respected in the squad then I don't think it'd be a major issue that one got picked and another didn't. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I worry that if you give Zak the armband it will affect his game.  He needs to 💯 concentrate on himself imho…that’s when he’s at his best.  I thought similarly with Flint, he seemed like a leader, but he was another who needed to focus on his own game.

I think Kalas was another example of a player who was a leader in terms of the way they played but played much better without the captaincy. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not sure that would necessarily matter though. Obviously it'd be a problem if there were massive rifts in the squad and almost half the team hated the idea of the chosen candidate becoming captain but if the options were broadly liked and respected in the squad then I don't think it'd be a major issue that one got picked and another didn't. 

I've lost all faith in democracy! Let AI decide who the captain should be 😜

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I wonder if Manning will do what Nige did - ask the players to vote on who’d they  want as captain. If that happened then I guess it’d be Dickie.

Yeah he might do what Nige did and get the players to pick the captain. Most likely they'd go for Dickie I reckon. 

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Zak is almost a better player when acting instinctively. Give him time to think about a pass out of defence and he often makes the wrong choice!

When he has had extra responsibility, with two or three inexperienced defenders playing with him for example, he has had some of his best games for us imo.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've lost all faith in democracy! Let AI decide who the captain should be 😜

“I cannot definitively say who should be Bristol City men's captain in 2024/2025. Choosing a captain involves many factors that are not publicly available, such as leadership qualities, experience, and the manager's preferences.

However, I can share some information that might be helpful:

• Last season's captain: Look for news articles about Bristol City's captain from last season. This could give you a starting point for who might retain the captaincy.
  • Experienced players: Often, captains are experienced players who have been with the team for a while. Look at Bristol City's squad for players who fit this description.
  • Vocal leader: Ideally, a captain should be a vocal leader who can motivate their teammates. Look for news articles or social media posts that mention players who seem to take on this role.

Ultimately, the decision of who will be captain is up to the manager. With the season not having started yet, there is likely no official announcement about the captaincy. You can stay updated by following Bristol City's official website or social media pages.”

Thanks a bunch, Google Gemini!