IGNORED

SL in the Times-made I laugh

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor me.  But that should be done via the chain of command, not the Owner going into the dressing room.

Yes as that just undermines Lam/Manning/Whoever.

I'm not sure if Manning is such a yes man. I know it's totally different but I remember after his first win (perhaps away) Manning came over to the crowd and they were singing for him to bounce around. He was clearly caught on video turning to someone and saying "I'm not going to f*****g bounce for anyone" . He hasn't since and I doubt he will. Not his thing not will he be sucked into doing so.

He might actually like a yes man to the Lansdown's, but what he does will be something else I think. Which might be okay until they realise😀

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm not sure if Manning is such a yes man. I know it's totally different but I remember after his first win (perhaps away) Manning came over to the crowd and they were singing for him to bounce around. He was clearly caught on video turning to someone and saying "I'm not going to f*****g bounce for anyone" . He hasn't since and I doubt he will. Not his thing not will he be sucked into doing so.

He might actually like a yes man to the Lansdown's, but what he does will be something else I think. Which might be okay until they realise😀

Agree. I think Liam might surprise a few when he gets the full measure of what he’s dealing with “upstairs”.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, petehinton said:

Am I right in thinking Pat Lam said openly that SL was in the changing room earlier this season, telling him what style of rugby he thought was best to play?

Pat Lam mentioned that saying that ‘the boss’ had told be him to adopt a more attacking style of play.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Pat Lam mentioned that saying that ‘the boss’ had told be him to adopt a more attacking style of play.

Will be interesting where Lam goes if other teams get to grips with this attacking play, strangle the life out of it and they stop winning matches. I suppose he will have to ask Steve for permission to change the style again?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Will be interesting where Lam goes if other teams get to grips with this attacking play, strangle the life out of it and they stop winning matches. I suppose he will have to ask Steve for permission to change the style again?

Until yesterday it worked - the Bears came up against a better team. It happens in all sports.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Honestly think it is a bit of A and a bit of B.

They all need equity/cash injections, it just varies. Our trading model was somewhat flawed, as was backing the wrong horse in Lee Johnson.

They also have a much lower commercial income which reduces both cost and income, likewise Depreciation which indicates less expensive Infrastructure.

However the Championship is a moneypit for many, a matter of degree but I don't see what makes the Lansdowns so special in respect of being the only ones who could pay the bills.

This is the trouble with OTIB currently, we start with a thread about rugby and it morphs into a "sack the board" version 5,432 borefest.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

To be fair, I don't mind the owner telling a coach what we all think of the 'entertainment' offered by the team. On the one hand people moan about Manningball being boring and on the other they rail against the Lansdowns for having the arrogance to interfere.

I don't mind having owners who expect our teams to deliver something more than boredom to spectators. Maybe it's just me though.

Would help if they didn't hamstring said manager(s) to then appoint 'fashionable' younger coaches for the sake of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cidercity said:

I personally don’t want to stay in the prem shit league and VAR, would prefer to become a yo-yo club to keep us competitive in the championship a far better league.

Sounds awful. But better than never going up.

Of course we'd need to implement a strategy to get us up first -- currently the best JL can muster is 'an aspiration'. Which says everything.

5 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

Wish he’d go in the changing room and tell Manning he wants entertaining football!!

Manning knows the requirement is front foot attacking football. But his preference seems to be control - of a rather pedestrian kind. If so the club didn't do its due diligence before appointing him.

Though if we have a successful season playing boring football will be be sacked for the same reason Rosenior was?

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Manning knows the requirement is front foot attacking football. But his preference seems to be control - of a rather pedestrian kind. If so the club didn't do its due diligence before appointing him.

Though if we have a successful season playing boring football will be be sacked for the same reason Rosenior was?

Only if he gets an improved three year deal a few months beforehand.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, glynriley said:

He’s not the only owner who can keep a team in the championship for 10 years. See Preston North End, and they finish above us every season at a fraction of the cost. 

No, but he’s the one who’s done it for us, for which I’m a bit more grateful than some on here. I so much look forward to you all getting your way because you obviously know so much about running a football club. And I expect you’ll be able to come up with a list of people ready and willing to take over as well. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

9 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

No, but he’s the one who’s done it for us, for which I’m a bit more grateful than some on here. I so much look forward to you all getting your way because you obviously know so much about running a football club. And I expect you’ll be able to come up with a list of people ready and willing to take over as well. 

Don’t chat shit pal, nobody on here knows who is out there with the wherewithal to buy the Lansdown empire, so how could anyone come up with a list? Put your brain in gear. 

Matters not anyway, I’m resigned to the fact we’re stuck with them. If anyone was coming in, they’d be here by now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

He’s the one who put the club up for sale, leaving a huge amount of uncertainty hanging over the club since.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

He’s the one who put the club up for sale, leaving a huge amount of uncertainty hanging over the club since.

…and wants to reduce his funding each season.  That’s his prerogative, fine with that, but he’s not communicated why, nor the impact of doing so.  Interesting that it’s at the point of putting less money in, he’s decided to no longer talk to the fans!

• Like 13

8 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought what he said was more like ‘I’ll ******* bounce when we have done something’ but that might be the official version. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Nothings forever. His heart isn't sufficiently in it anymore, so time for a change. That doesn't automatically equate to  people not being grateful. Also it doesn't mean we should never evolve because people don't carry a copy of the Forbes rich list around in their back pocket !

We may not all have a list of available strikers tattooed on the inside of our brains, but if we need a new striker, we need a striker. It matters not if a replacement is identified or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…and wants to reduce his funding each season.  That’s his prerogative, fine with that, but he’s not communicated why, nor the impact of doing so.  Interesting that it’s at the point of putting less money in, he’s decided to no longer talk to the fans!

Judging by the interview he gave to Guernsey radio he thinks we can raise £20m+ in player sales every season.

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, chinapig said:

Judging by the interview he gave to Guernsey radio he thinks we can raise £20m+ in player sales every season.

I’m sure he could and that amount would go towards the overheads of running the football club.

Its a long standing fact that pretty much every Championship club are in a similar position.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

21 hours ago, JAWS said:

Nice one Harry. His ego just expanded ten fold! 

Further evidence of his interference & overall control. 

The blokes a narcissist 

Is he? Not for me he’s not.

He’s the bloke who every season  has funded £millions of my football clubs losses, built a ground and training ground. He saved the famous old rugby club from extinction and provided the funding that turned  it into one of the country’s top clubs. 
Doesn’t sound too bad to me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

Well said mate. 👍👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

He’s the bloke who every season  has funded £millions of his football clubs losses, redeveloped a ground after spurning a better scheme 20 years and training ground at long last. He saved the old rugby club from extinction and provided the funding that turned  it into an also ran. 
Doesn’t sound great to me. 

Edited your post for accuracy 👍

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

He’s the bloke who every season  has funded £millions of my football clubs losses, built a ground and training ground. He saved the famous old rugby club from extinction and provided the funding that turned  it into one of the country’s top clubs. 

In order -

- Has funded millions in club losses, that he himself caused in the MA/LJ period with nepotism with regards to important appointments and his own errors.

- Built the ground and training ground. Dawe oversaw the ground work as Chairman, SL signed the cheques, for which we can thank him but means nothing without club progression.

- Who are 7th. With whom he's evidently interfering with.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

In order -

- Has funded millions in club losses, that he himself caused in the MA/LJ period with nepotism with regards to important appointments and his own errors.

- Built the ground and training ground. Dawe oversaw the ground work as Chairman, SL signed the cheques, for which we can thank him but means nothing without club progression.

- Who are 7th. With whom he's evidently interfering with.

I would point out and your post I mostly agree on, that the Championship is a bit of a money pit too but his decisions did extend the amount we needed to shell out- IMO.

Had we backed Cotts moreso or met him halfway in summer 2015 perhaps we save more in the long run.

Element of penny wise pound foolish under the Lansdowns tbh.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Still amazes me that there’s people out there, who really still think SL is ploughing money into us out of goodwill and charity or something. 

He will recoup tens of millions from real estate deals made possible due to their connection to the football club.

Hes an egotistical bellend not an idiot.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Still amazes me that there’s people out there, who really still think SL is ploughing money into us out of goodwill and charity or something. 

I used to have no end of arguments with @NickJ who called all this out a long time ago. 

Fair play Nick, you were right. 

3 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Funded the debt he's built up that's how he works and that's what certain people said when he stepped in as owner now he wants the money back soon as he finishes his dream( built the arena etc) he will walk.Easy building something but no good without progression. 

Edited by Street red
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

For example the stadium redevelopment. He didn't gift us the money for it. He loaned it. We owe something like 90 million and we pay about 3 million in interest. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For example the stadium redevelopment. He didn't gift us the money for it. He loaned it. We owe something like 90 million and we pay about 3 million in interest. 

Are you working in high finance Seagull?