IGNORED

Scott twine

BCFC31

I was thinking about our pursuit of scott twine this summer and I think wells could be a big help in convincing twine yp commit to us because wells found him self in exactly the same position as twine when wells was at Burnley before moving to us. 

Edited by BCFC31
  • Confused 1

I'm not worried about the Twine situation. If we can get him for a fee that suits us (around half of what Burnley want) then brilliant if not we move on to other targets. He's a good player, LM clearly wants him to join but it's definitely not the end of the world if he doesn't. I'll be more frustrated if we paid anything like Burnley reportedly want.

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Twine just had the season he's had but for someone else, and if he had no connection to our manager, would we be keen to sign him?

I'd think not.

Manning needs to practice what he preaches here and take the emotion out of it.

For 5 million quid, we need to be buying a guaranteed hit. Twine ain't that at this level.

So we'd be taking a punt, hoping he'd grow into one. And the price we pay for a punt at this level is probably about half what Burnley want.

Do we have anyone clever enough to strike such a bargain?   

Not sure its a matter of being clever enough to strike a bargain,,, if someone came to buy your house for half the asking price the deal wouldn’t happen no matter who they were. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If Twine just had the season he's had but for someone else, and if he had no connection to our manager, would we be keen to sign him?

I'd think not.

Manning needs to practice what he preaches here and take the emotion out of it.

For 5 million quid, we need to be buying a guaranteed hit. Twine ain't that at this level.

So we'd be taking a punt, hoping he'd grow into one. And the price we pay for a punt at this level is probably about half what Burnley want.

Do we have anyone clever enough to strike such a bargain?   

Ahem..

Rob Dickie 800k

Hayden Roberts FREE

Knight 2 million

We've actually been good recently. We used to get our pants pulled down before with MA.

I think we'll move on to other targets early if Twine is a no goer.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Ahem..

Rob Dickie 800k

Hayden Roberts FREE

Knight 2 million

We've actually been good recently. We used to get our pants pulled down before with MA.

Phil Alexander negotiated those deals. And I think Tinnion said Dickie was £600k when breaking the undisclosed fee agreement. I think @Merrick's Marvels point holds.

Edited by Silvio Dante

Also the deal we negotiated with West Brom for a reduced fee on TGH, avoiding Weimanns appearance trigger 12 month contract renewal and getting his wages off in January was post PA but a very good deal from our perspective.

Edited by RedRoss

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

I'm not worried about the Twine situation. If we can get him for a fee that suits us (around half of what Burnley want) then brilliant if not we move on to other targets. He's a good player, LM clearly wants him to join but it's definitely not the end of the world if he doesn't. I'll be more frustrated if we paid anything like Burnley reportedly want.

My thoughts FWIW.

I think City may pay close to 5 million for Twine. However, I don't think it will anywhere near all of that up front. Maybe 2 million up front and staggered payments and add ons like appearances etc, etc. 

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

Ahem..

Rob Dickie 800k

Hayden Roberts FREE

Knight 2 million

Some excellent talent identification there for sure. And let's hope Bird is another!

But did any of those deals involve haggling down the fee, to half of the asking price, with a club who didn't need to sell?

Roberts was released by Brighton, Knight and Dickie were in the last year of their contracts, at clubs glad of the money. 

On the one hand I can't see Burnley playing ball, on the other I wonder why they'd want to keep him, as he's miles off the standard they set when walking this league last time. 

Who knows how it will play out and I'm not sure I'm fussed either way.

He's the type of player we need, that's for sure.

And personally - if we seriously want Top 6 - I think all our attacking options need an upgrade.     

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, supercidered said:

My thoughts FWIW.

I think City may pay close to 5 million for Twine. However, I don't think it will anywhere near all of that up front. Maybe 2 million up front and staggered payments and add ons like appearances etc, etc. 

Probably.

Personally I’ll be amazed if we don’t sign him.

Manning has made it blindingly obvious that he’s his number one target, even if that means the striker we bring in is at a much lower cost.

Whether that proves wise, time will tell.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Some excellent talent identification there for sure. And let's hope Bird is another!

But did any of those deals involve haggling down the fee, to half of the asking price, with a club who didn't need to sell?

Roberts was released by Brighton, Knight and Dickie were in the last year of their contracts at clubs glad of the money. 

On the one hand I can't see Burnley playing ball, on the other I wonder why they'd want to keep him as he's miles off the standard they set when walking this league last time. 

Who knows how it will play out. And I'm not sure I'm fussed wither way.

He's the type of player we need, though, that's for sure. Personally - if we seriously want Top 6 - I think all our attacking options need an upgrade.     

Completely agree our attacking options need a complete renovation that's where we are lacking. Plus another if TC goes.

Will be an interesting summer for sure.

38 minutes ago, supercidered said:

My thoughts FWIW.

agreed - we’re not in the driving seat with this one and will be negotiating with a parachute club that will sell to the highest bidder or not at all. If this is the clubs number one priority, we will have to stump up the fee. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, supercidered said:

My thoughts FWIW.

just being totally pedantic, what “transfer fee” do you see, e.g.

£4m fee (£2m up front, £1m next year, £1m year after plus conditional add-ons)

£2m fee (£2m up front, the rest conditional)

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

just being totally pedantic, what “transfer fee” do you see, e.g.

£4m fee (£2m up front, £1m next year, £1m year after plus conditional add-ons)

£2m fee (£2m up front, the rest conditional)

We have a crack team of highly experienced transfer negotiators in place. (At least part of that assertion might be true.) So

£0M upfront plus £5M conditional on promotion to the EPL.

C'mon Vincent, you know it makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Fair point. I just think we're working to a budget. We won't be paying 5 million for Twine.

I agree (Well more hope), but….

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Probably.

Personally I’ll be amazed if we don’t sign him.

Manning has made it blindingly obvious that he’s his number one target, even if that means the striker we bring in is at a much lower cost.

Whether that proves wise, time will tell.

….I also think this is pretty near to the reality. The facts here are that Burnley are in a pretty strong position negotiating wise - he’s got two years left on his deal, the head coach here has made it absolutely clear he wants him, they don’t need to sell as he’s not among the major earners there and we know the fee in January for a permanent was more than we wanted to pay (and as we were in for Azaz at £2.5m, it’s safe to say we were bidding at that level minimum for our main target).

Even ignoring whether you feel Tinnion, Lansdown and Marshall are the right men to negotiate, if you’re Burnley with those metrics in mind, there isn’t great incentive to drop the price - and particularly in the early summer.

I tend to err towards Graham. I think we’ll buy him. I think it’ll be undisclosed. But I think, if it’s done pre the players return, it’ll be nearer to £5m than not.

This is a bit of an acid test as to our willingness to move swiftly to plan B if plan A doesn’t work. Because I think we do get him later in the window for less, but that in turn means he’s not here for a chunk of pre season and is a gamble.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

….I also think this is pretty near to the reality. The facts here are that Burnley are in a pretty strong position negotiating wise - he’s got two years left on his deal, the head coach here has made it absolutely clear he wants him, they don’t need to sell as he’s not among the major earners there and we know the fee in January for a permanent was more than we wanted to pay (and as we were in for Azaz at £2.5m, it’s safe to say we were bidding at that level minimum for our main target).

Even ignoring whether you feel Tinnion, Lansdown and Marshall are the right men to negotiate, if you’re Burnley with those metrics in mind, there isn’t great incentive to drop the price - and particularly in the early summer.

I tend to err towards Graham. I think we’ll buy him. I think it’ll be undisclosed. But I think, if it’s done pre the players return, it’ll be nearer to £5m than not.

This is a bit of an acid test as to our willingness to move swiftly to plan B if plan A doesn’t work. Because I think we do get him later in the window for less, but that in turn means he’s not here for a chunk of pre season and is a gamble.

It would be madness to spend that much money on Twine. Especially considering all the cost cutting we've done the last few years. I know Manning needs backing but it's just not good business. Hopefully, we do the right thing and move on if priced out. We'll find out I guess.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It was naive of Manning to make it so obvious he's desperate to sign Twine. We have shown our cards and given Burnley an advantage. Negotiating skills training required I think!

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It would be madness to spend that much money on Twine. Especially considering all the cost cutting we've done the last few years. I know Manning needs backing but it's just not good business. Hopefully, we do the right thing and move on if priced out. We'll find out I guess.

For once, we’re in total agreement. I don’t actually have any issue in spending big money on the right player but haven’t seen enough to convince me Twine is that player - but as I say, if you look dispassionately at all the factors, it feels likely that we’re nearer £5m than not if we want him (at the start of the window), and I think we’d both rather move on swiftly than gamble on the basis of getting him cheaper later, and ending up with nobody at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It was naive of Manning to make it so obvious he's desperate to sign Twine. We have shown our cards and given Burnley an advantage. Negotiating skills training required I think!

I think I said (well I know I said) when we signed Twine that I didn’t agree with the deal because the lack of a buy option and the best bet would have been an underwhelming loan spell to keep the price down.

As it turns out we’ve had an underwhelming loan spell and because we’ve shown our hand have likely pushed the price up!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The other piece of this jigsaw is who will leave Burnley? They may actually need Twine. If they lose a number of players, a Championship-ready player might be just what they need….

I also think we’re likely to sign him.  Would it bother me if we didn’t? Not really would it annoy me if we paid anywhere near £5m? YES!!!  £5m for a player of his standing is from the old-world before the Covid reset. 

Edited by Mendip City