IGNORED

Andy Cole on Overlap

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Will give it a watch later.

The Overlap is the best football podcast out there at the moment.

Yeah really enjoy watching it also, much prefer when it’s just them and no guest though, especially when it’s ex United as they go a bit to heavy on 97-2005 United, heard them stories one too many times now.

Interesting to see what Rooney brings to the group. Thought it was a bit of a weird one as they’ve got the harmony right now and no offence to Rooney but he’s incredibly dull to listen too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

So you are saying you wont give it a listen then ? 🤣 

I like Wright.  Carragher, Keane and Neville are teaching parody levels. There’s no real insight, just bants and stuff to get 30 second twitter clips.  Clearly I’m not the target market though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Will give it a watch later.

The Overlap is the best football podcast out there at the moment.

The Overlap and the Rest is Football are both excellent.

Full of great stories from players who have played at the highest level

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Bunch of egotistical idiots in my opinion but each to their own! Banter pod 

They are ex top level footballers, I'd be disappointed if they weren't egotistical!  I think it's a great podcast, interesting hearing the insights they give, I feel they are all pretty honest, unlike when they are on Sky where they can't be at times

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I like Wright.  Carragher, Keane and Neville are teaching parody levels. There’s no real insight, just bants and stuff to get 30 second twitter clips.  Clearly I’m not the target market though! 

Yeah I cant listen to it all, but there are some good pods out there 

Taking Andy Cole from Arsenal's reserves was one of the finest bits of transfer business the club has ever done imho, less said about his sell on the better! His hattrick V Cardiff was superb and sits high up in my favourite moments.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 1team said:

Taking Andy Cole from Arsenal's reserves was one of the finest bits of transfer business the club has ever done imho, less said about his sell on the better! His hattrick V Cardiff was superb and sits high up in my favourite moments.

Still the best player I ever saw play for us (Since 1989/90).  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

Best goal scorer no doubt, although I always liked Shaun Goater.

Best Player is Scott IMO the boy is a bit special.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1team said:

Interesting that he mentioned Arsenal had added a 30% sell on clause, when we did bring him in permanently.

What on earth were our then bunch of clowns thinking when they agreed to sell to Newcastle ?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Yozzarian said:

I should clarify that I feel like he was the best player in terms of quality, not necessarily in terms of his overall contribution/worth to the team. There are many who were ultimately more important.

• Like 3

Just watched it, very enjoyable.

loved the part where Wrighty asks him “who was with you helping you with the goals?”

Cole: “Leroy Rosenior, Wayne Alison, Dzeikanowski…. Ooooohhh bloody hell, Dzeikanowski”

Great times and as Cole says, both Dennis Smith and Russel Osman, as well as team mates kept telling him he was too good for us and second tier football. And us supporters agreed.

From seeing him on his debut, within about 15 minutes I know I thought the same.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Just watched it, very enjoyable.

loved the part where Wrighty asks him “who was with you helping you with the goals?”

Cole: “Leroy Rosenior, Wayne Alison, Dzeikanowski…. Ooooohhh bloody hell, Dzeikanowski”

Great times and as Cole says, both Dennis Smith and Russel Osman, as well as team mates kept telling him he was too good for us and second tier football. And us supporters agreed.

From seeing him on his debut, within about 15 minutes I know I thought the same.

Totally agree’ you could see he was special’ stood out a mile.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 13:02, 1team said:

A couple of the Cardiff goals on in this vid, 3:45 mins in. 

I’m sure that Cardiff game was also the one where they managed to get through the gates round the back of the Open End with “all hell” breaking loose! 

Re Cole though - I just loved his directness. He got the ball and his first thought was “how can I score a goal from here”. Superb player. Best ever in a City shirt in my opinion. Definitely the one who has had the best career. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Interesting that he mentioned Arsenal had added a 30% sell on clause, when we did bring him in permanently.

What on earth were our then bunch of clowns thinking when they agreed to sell to Newcastle ?

I remember thinking at the time that we had paid out our then record fee for a player £500,000, the permanent signing was a fantastic success but with the 30% sell on clause it meant that when we sold him for £1.75 M we effectively received £1,375,000 minus the original investment meant a profit of £875,000. Although that was worth more back then in the football world it was hardly impressive even for the time. 

We should've held out for £2.5M.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I remember thinking at the time that we had paid out our then record fee for a player £500,000, the permanent signing was a fantastic success but with the 30% sell on clause it meant that when we sold him for £1.75 M we effectively received £1,375,000 minus the original investment meant a profit of £875,000. Although that was worth more back then in the football world it was hardly impressive even for the time. 

We should've held out for £2.5M.

Especially when you hear Les Kew on the video above saying how so many teams had been after him. We could surely have played them off and increased the bids. And it’s not as if we weren’t aware of how sell on clauses operated as we knew Arsenal had one, so why didn’t we add one too!!
One of the worst pieces of business this club has ever done in my opinion. 

• Like 3

Just now, Harry said:

Especially when you hear Les Kew on the video above saying how so many teams had been after him. We could surely have played them off and increased the bids. And it’s not as if we weren’t aware of how sell on clauses operated as we knew Arsenal had one, so why didn’t we add one too!!
One of the worst pieces of business this club has ever done in my opinion. 

I'm pretty sure that it was after this ridiculous bit of business that we ensured we always installed sell on clauses ourselves. Rather stupid seeing that we were paying a sell on clause to Arsenal that we neglected to install one for a young and clearly talented goalscorer!

• Like 2

On 15/05/2024 at 13:02, 1team said:

It was said at the time that were reasons why Arsenal weren’t keen to keep him, from what I remember, and they weren’t to do with football.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It was said at the time that were reasons why Arsenal weren’t keen to keep him, from what I remember, and they weren’t to do with football.

George Graham thought he had a bad attitude and was Lazy. 

1 hour ago, Fpcity said:

Wasn't there a general conclusion on here a while ago that he never really spoke highly about us or at all? Unless I'm thinking of another player 

He said it was when he came to us his career finally took off, seemed to have good memories and had no intention of leaving when Newcastle came in for him, thought it was too far north and had to be persuaded into the move.

Of course his time with Newcastle, Man Utd and England will always be talked about ahead of his brief spell with us.

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

George Graham thought he had a bad attitude and was Lazy. 

He said it was when he came to us his career finally took off, seemed to have good memories and had no intention of leaving when Newcastle came in for him, thought it was too far north and had to be persuaded into the move.

Of course his time with Newcastle, Man Utd and England will always be talked about ahead of his brief spell with us.

Yeah everything I've heard recently from him has been positive