IGNORED

Jon Lansdown on Bristol City's leadership structure, his dad's position and Richard Scudamore - Bristol Live

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps I will. I think it is mainly the asking price but that doesn't explain why Ipswich up to £100m or so for a 40% stake was it..then again that is out of kilter.

Birmingham are another weird one, I suppose they see potential given it is the 2nd city but the ROI in either of these is tricky to see a path to it. Ipswich caught the crest of a wave but up to £100m for 40%...hmm.

Until we see this seasons accounts we won’t know how much they were paid initially.  They certainly weren’t a £250m valued business this season.

I very much suspect they will get some more for promotion, but also will need to do more than go straight back down to get the full amount.  I’m only guessing but I reckon it would require at least a two season stay in the PL to get the full amount and value up to that £250m.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Until we see this seasons accounts we won’t know how much they were paid initially.  They certainly weren’t a £250m valued business this season.

I very much suspect they will get some more for promotion, but also will need to do more than go straight back down to get the full amount.  I’m only guessing but I reckon it would require at least a two season stay in the PL to get the full amount and value up to that £250m.

Sorry to quote myself…but this is why when I speak to someone who totally understands sporting investment, he’s suggested that SL needs to make it affordable, but also with benefits for SL should City as a Championship club, get promoted.  A deal in a similar vain to Ipswich’s could see SL get the club off of his hands but with a nice dividend should we go up.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry to quote myself…but this is why when I speak to someone who totally understands sporting investment, he’s suggested that SL needs to make it affordable, but also with benefits for SL should City as a Championship club, get promoted.  A deal in a similar vain to Ipswich’s could see SL get the club off of his hands but with a nice dividend should we go up.

An anti-embarrassment sort of clause. Is the guy you talk to describing it done through equity or is it just a straight bit of conditional deferred consideration?

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

An anti-embarrassment sort of clause. Is the guy you talk to describing it done through equity or is it just a straight bit of conditional deferred consideration?

That kinda talk would go over my head, just simple chat that you could offer £x and give him a bonus of £y when you get promoted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

That kinda talk would go over my head, just simple chat that you could offer £x and give him a bonus of £y when you get promoted.

If it's that simple then it's the second thing I said. Very normal in all sorts of industries where businesses are sold just before they potentially grow quite quickly.

A future payment that becomes due upon something happening.

Same sort of thing as if we (hypothetically) get an extra £1m if Alex Scott gets an England cap.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Basically covered it a few months ago when they talked about clubs like Barcelona with multiple sports under one 'umbrella.' It may work for Barca but the conclusion was," why would someone want to buy three  loss making clubs in one hit."

And have an interest in all 3 sports!

Crayola kid, I mean what can you say that has not been said already. These comments are deeply depressing, but represent the disdain and total lack of understanding of football by Crayola and his dad. We are a club run by amateurs , cronyism and nepotism. Actually, we are a club now being held to ransom by these people. They have zero accountability, care zero about the fan base, have a 2 decade record of demonstrating a poor understanding of the football business, and yet they feel we should be bowing down to their superiority. It is quite frankly disgusting. They need to go. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 9
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

Crayola kid, I mean what can you say that has not been said already. These comments are deeply depressing, but represent the disdain and total lack of understanding of football by Crayola and his dad. We are a club run by amateurs , cronyism and nepotism. Actually, we are a club now being held to ransom by these people. They have zero accountability, care zero about the fan base, have a 2 decade record of demonstrating a poor understanding of the football business, and yet they feel we should be bowing down to their superiority. It is quite frankly disgusting. They need to go. 

Of course the person who was born into every role he's ever held is lecturing us on the pitfalls of employing career-driven individuals! :facepalm:

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 5

3 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

I do find the Lansdown family criticising ego’s a bit ironic tbh when it was the attempt to emulate a Barcelona sporting club model (😂😂😂) to leave a personal legacy that sees us in a position where people with serious money would rather invest in Wycombe than us!! If that wasn’t ego driven then I don’t know what is.

• Like 2
  • Flames 6

7 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Of course the person who was born into every role he's ever held is lecturing us on the pitfalls of employing career-driven individuals! :facepalm:

image.jpeg

Ironically he is the one with the ego isn’t he?

• Haha 2

One thing that has only just occurred to me is what is the role of  Lisa Knights in this. She’s still shown as Bristol Sport Group Director of Communications which should encompass Bristol City. As she has a lot on experience in communication you would think she would produce a strategy for those who are inexperienced in this field - eg Jon Lansdown. Do Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion get any advice from her on what to say and how to say it?

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

eg Jon Lansdown. Do Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion get any advice from her on what to say and how to say it?

if they wont take the advice of anyone else, would they really want to be told what to say? cant see it myself.

i think i would be insulting her if i thought she had anything to do with the drivel they spout. happy to be told im wrong tho.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

One thing that has only just occurred to me is what is the role of  Lisa Knights in this. She’s still shown as Bristol Sport Group Director of Communications which should encompass Bristol City. As she has a lot on experience in communication you would think she would produce a strategy for those who are inexperienced in this field - eg Jon Lansdown. Do Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion get any advice from her on what to say and how to say it?

Someone on here who recently introduced someone from the club, might be able to shine a light on her involvement.

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Someone on here who recently introduced someone from the club, might be able to shine a light on her involvement.

I believe she moved to become CEO of flyers last year, and not in any comms specific role anymore?

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I believe she moved to become CEO of flyers last year, and not in any comms specific role anymore?

On LinkedIn her job title is 

Bristol Flyers Basketball CEO & Bristol Sport Group Director of Communications

So it seems as though she still has a comms role

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

On LinkedIn her job title is 

Bristol Flyers Basketball CEO & Bristol Sport Group Director of Communications

So it seems as though she still has a comms role

Christ. It just get worse and more bizarre the digger you deep, doesn’t it. 

how can you be a CEO of one sport; and ‘group comms’ lead across all of them?

No wonder they can’t find a buyer or investor. Must take them about 3 days to explain the structure of the place.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 4

35 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if they wont take the advice of anyone else, would they really want to be told what to say? cant see it myself.

i think i would be insulting her if i thought she had anything to do with the drivel they spout. happy to be told im wrong tho.

I agree with this though it illustrates the problem at the club. People who have relevant expertise are sacked or ignored and the inexperienced- Steve & Jon Lansdown and Brian Tinnion - make the big decisions 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Christ. It just get worse and more bizarre the digger you deep, doesn’t it. 

how can you be a CEO of one sport; and ‘group comms’ lead across all of them?

No wonder they can’t find a buyer or investor. Must take them about 3 days to explain the structure of the place.

Basically it’s just a collection of sycophants & the owner’s son, isn’t it?

No-one ever seems to leave from that group, isn’t Dave Barton still hanging around as well?

Like the bloody Civil Service!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 5

I would’ve liked to have known whether SL wants to fund less of the losses.  As that impacts our recruitment (in and out) model.

Guess we will find out this summer to a small degree (Scott transfer covering this summer too) but to a larger degree next summer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve liked to have known whether SL wants to fund less of the losses.  As that impacts our recruitment (in and out) model.

Given JL states they want an investment partner, then I assume that to be the case. SL clearly has the resources to fund everything if he wanted.

I wonder if they are looking at a Man U/Ineos type model. SL retains the assets and commercial revenue, and a partner comes in to control and invest on the playing side?  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

part 3 is out.  Confirms the club is up for sale, but only “the right people” and a move, either sale or investment is someway off. 

Compared to part two it actually says very little.

More guff about a sale that they don’t appear to actually want & a rehash of the blindingly obvious “need to work smartly in the transfer market because we don’t have the largest budget” mantra.

Piercy also left the club that loses the playoff final out of his list of those that will start next season with parachute payments..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wonder if they are looking at a Man U/Ineos type model. SL retains the assets and commercial revenue, and a partner comes in to control and invest on the playing side?  

That would also get around the Bristol Sport issue I would think.

27 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

part 3 is out.  Confirms the club is up for sale, but only “the right people” and a move, either sale or investment is someway off. 

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

More guff about a sale that they don’t appear to actually want & a rehash of the blindingly obvious “need to work smartly in the transfer market because we don’t have the largest budget” mantra.

Piercy also left the club that loses the playoff final out of his list of those that will start next season with parachute payments..

Jon can’t deviate from his script, so you hear the same stuff regurgitated.  We learned nothing new.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

And he got the bit about Watford have parachute payments for the 24/25 wrong (they don't and also don't have a Pedro to sell)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

And he got the bit about Watford have parachute payments for the 24/25 wrong (they don't and also don't have a Pedro to sell)

Possibly a view that as they get the final bit of the PP money in June, you could suggest it’s for next season.

• Like 1

That £23m pre tax profit in 2022-23 plus the small rise in FFP ie by £2.5m and the similar rise in TV money may give Watford headroom to have one last go but 2023-24 or 2022-23, would've been more advantageous tbh. Certainly in respect of the future looking info and obligations there.