IGNORED

Jon Lansdown on Bristol City's leadership structure, his dad's position and Richard Scudamore - Bristol Live

As for certain bits of the interview..

Screenshot_20240520-110809_Chrome.thumb.jpg.99dc3cc63354a1f4bf56e84c51608f99.jpg

These clubs were sold or stakes sold for a range of reasons probably specific to each and definitely not solely just "but Covid".

Screenshot_20240520-111031_Chrome.thumb.jpg.38f0decc4526e5ec8fd59b053ec8e19d.jpg

Did he not say in the past that we spent some of the Scott money before we got it? Or we had already spent some of it..now he seems to be suggesting that the early signings were made irrespective.

Screenshot_20240520-111140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.afb939a7d1a3aae1794f9771d60c2904.jpg

@Silvio Dante has covered the youth record of Manning at times, is there anything to back up in particular the Academy bit? The youth positively flourished under NP and hitherto discarded or fringe players technically from within became key..O'Leary, Vyner, Pring.

The other bits remain to be seen although top 10 to 12 budget seems to be stretching it. Parachute not withstanding our revenue fwiw probably falls in at worst 5th or 6th and at best top or 2nd of the non Parachute clubs albeit lots of variables exist.

Screenshot_20240520-111215_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4abcd1dc5a574c64cb7d49e877d82804.jpg

Ironic given that Jon Lansdown and Manning have said about alignment.

Tinnion said that internally we were "rubbing our hands" post Southampton given the run of games and the confidence gained from the Middlesbrough and Southampton games plus Cup.ties.

Two very divergent positions, which is it- or aren't we so aligned after all.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That £23m pre tax profit in 2022-23 plus the small rise in FFP ie by £2.5m and the similar rise in TV money may give Watford headroom to have one last go but 2023-24 or 2022-23, would've been more advantageous tbh. Certainly in respect of the future looking info and obligations there.

Asprilla will be sold if they need to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240520-111140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.afb939a7d1a3aae1794f9771d60c2904.jpg

@Silvio Dante has covered the youth record of Manning at times, is there anything to back up in particular the Academy bit? The youth positively flourished under NP and hitherto discarded or fringe players technically from within became key..O'Leary, Vyner, Pring.

The other bits remain to be seen although top 10 to 12 budget seems to be stretching it. Parachute not withstanding our revenue fwiw probably falls in at worst 5th or 6th and at best top or 2nd of the non Parachute clubs albeit lots of variables exist.

The short answer is nothing tangible, but I think I’ve ploughed that particular furrow a few times. In short:

- Liam hasn’t at any club brought through a player from academy to be a regular first team player (ie not just 1-2 bench cameos)

- However, that could be because of a lack of talent at any club (the longer it goes on though it becomes a statistical quirk at best). More likely is that his limited time at any club and being under constant pressure (for promotion/fighting relegation/fighting to save job) makes it not conducive to put young players in without some real courage 

Important to note that doesn’t mean he won’t have improved individual players, but that is a bit more subjective and ying/yang effect - ie here he’s arguably improved Mehmeti but Sykes has gone backwards, at Oxford he got more out of McGuane than Buckingham did but less out of Murphy. I’d also not dispute that he’s likely been a very good academy coach and brought players on but different kettle of fish from bringing through.

So, nothing tangible to back it up. Not to say it won’t happen but there isn’t a record to date and as I think we all think academy wise there is that little fallow period now until the 18s really come through, not sure it will change next season. It’s a brave manager who says, for example, Meerholz is my fourth CM next year at his age/experience.

• Thanks 1

On 18/05/2024 at 21:24, Davefevs said:

Until we see this seasons accounts we won’t know how much they were paid initially.  They certainly weren’t a £250m valued business this season.

I very much suspect they will get some more for promotion, but also will need to do more than go straight back down to get the full amount.  I’m only guessing but I reckon it would require at least a two season stay in the PL to get the full amount and value up to that £250m.

Yeah agreed.

Right so x as of time of investment y having achieved a certain target and z if further goals achieved, kinda thing?

Still seems out of whack given that Bournemouth and Burnley went for, and some other deals. Albeit no two deals are identical.

Leeds as a whole I did a quick Google went for £170m.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a brave manager who says, for example, Meerholz is my fourth CM next year at his age/experience.

You not including Murphy behind Knight, Bird, TGH?

That battle for 5th includes OTC and Backwell too I’d imagine?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You not including Murphy behind Knight, Bird, TGH?

That battle for 5th includes OTC and Backwell too I’d imagine?

More illustrative tbh. My feeling is that if we see anyone of the 18s near the first team it may well be Taine Anderson; I’d be hopeful that Roberts is now seen as one of the CBs so if something happened to Pring as opposed to shuffling deckchairs Anderson could step in. I don’t overly think that will happen based on LMs history but he’d be the one I’d look at.

As for the 5th CM, if we assume Williams re-signs then yeah, we’re talking JW, MB, JK and TGH as probably the first four. The fifth “place” (assuming no signings bar JW) feels very open to me - OTC hasn’t really progressed, the fact TB only got given a one year deal isn’t a sign that they’re sure on him either. Murphy - who knows. Not putting a reserve game against Accrington as major stock as yet.

I think if JW doesn’t re-sign we will be in for a Centre Mid.

4 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

part 3 is out.  Confirms the club is up for sale, but only “the right people” and a move, either sale or investment is someway off. 

Let's hope "the right people" means not selling to someone who's going to leverage the purchase with debt, or someone who's an incompetent - plenty of examples of both.

I genuinely believe that SL wants to secure the future of the club, as well as get his investment back (or some of it).

JL...not sure he's quite as 'invested' as his Dad (sorry to use management speak)

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

More illustrative tbh. My feeling is that if we see anyone of the 18s near the first team it may well be Taine Anderson; I’d be hopeful that Roberts is now seen as one of the CBs so if something happened to Pring as opposed to shuffling deckchairs Anderson could step in. I don’t overly think that will happen based on LMs history but he’d be the one I’d look at.

As for the 5th CM, if we assume Williams re-signs then yeah, we’re talking JW, MB, JK and TGH as probably the first four. The fifth “place” (assuming no signings bar JW) feels very open to me - OTC hasn’t really progressed, the fact TB only got given a one year deal isn’t a sign that they’re sure on him either. Murphy - who knows. Not putting a reserve game against Accrington as major stock as yet.

I think if JW doesn’t re-sign we will be in for a Centre Mid.

As much as I think Taine Anderson is a promising Academy LB, I really don’t see him being cover (step-up) for Cam Pring next season.

First team squad for preseason, maybe, but I’d guess that’s more about seeing whether he’s ready for a loan, and whether that’s a loan for EFL, National League or one of your NLN or NLS teams.

You'd think Raph Araoye is ahead of him, and Elijah Morrison too.

++++++

You mentioned experience in relation to where you had Meerholz (and I really like his game), but Murphy has far more than him, whether you take Accrington into the equation or not.

We will undoubtedly replace JW should he turn us down.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As much as I think Taine Anderson is a promising Academy LB, I really don’t see him being cover (step-up) for Cam Pring next season.

First team squad for preseason, maybe, but I’d guess that’s more about seeing whether he’s ready for a loan, and whether that’s a loan for EFL, National League or one of your NLN or NLS teams.

You'd think Raph Araoye is ahead of him, and Elijah Morrison too.

++++++

You mentioned experience in relation to where you had Meerholz (and I really like his game), but Murphy has far more than him, whether you take Accrington into the equation or not.

We will undoubtedly replace JW should he turn us down.

As I say, Meerholz was more “illustrative” - and we know Murphy experience is in a pretty low level. I’ve got no objections to him being 5th but I’m also not sold that he’s going to be a shoo-in there - plain don’t know enough and how he sizes up to Meerholz and others (and tbf Liam also won’t have seen enough of him against the existing squad due to the injury to make that call as yet)

The other point I think is pertinent is this - Pearson once said that if a player is going to make it then they need to be in or around the first team at 19/20. In the past, and one of the reasons we’ve probably not seen players come through, is we viewed them as young players until they are almost too old (James Morton the prime example here). For someone like Morton we can’t say he would have made it, but keeping him around until the age we did does no favours. 

The journey for everyone is undoubtedly different - but I’m not always sold a loan is the right thing and looping back to Anderson (while not making him a cause), I’d see Raph as more a CB option and Morrison more an up the pitch option. It’s back to that old “positional depth chart” thing - and certainly as they come through, I’d rather see academy in their best position to allow them to transition easier

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As I say, Meerholz was more “illustrative” - and we know Murphy experience is in a pretty low level. I’ve got no objections to him being 5th but I’m also not sold that he’s going to be a shoo-in there - plain don’t know enough and how he sizes up to Meerholz and others (and tbf Liam also won’t have seen enough of him against the existing squad due to the injury to make that call as yet)

The other point I think is pertinent is this - Pearson once said that if a player is going to make it then they need to be in or around the first team at 19/20. In the past, and one of the reasons we’ve probably not seen players come through, is we viewed them as young players until they are almost too old (James Morton the prime example here). For someone like Morton we can’t say he would have made it, but keeping him around until the age we did does no favours. 

The journey for everyone is undoubtedly different - but I’m not always sold a loan is the right thing and looping back to Anderson (while not making him a cause), I’d see Raph as more a CB option and Morrison more an up the pitch option. It’s back to that old “positional depth chart” thing - and certainly as they come through, I’d rather see academy in their best position to allow them to transition easier

Regarding the likes of Morton, historically we were keen to just keep hold of a few players who we knew weren’t going to break through, in order for us to have enough players for the 21’s. 
During the period where we thought we were the 2nd division Chelsea, we were loaning out 15-20 players a season, so I know for sure that they were keeping hold of the likes of Morton just to make sure they had enough players to play for the 21’s. They knew he wasn’t gonna make it. He was just used as ballast, basically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Regarding the likes of Morton, historically we were keen to just keep hold of a few players who we knew weren’t going to break through, in order for us to have enough players for the 21’s. 
During the period where we thought we were the 2nd division Chelsea, we were loaning out 15-20 players a season, so I know for sure that they were keeping hold of the likes of Morton just to make sure they had enough players to play for the 21’s. They knew he wasn’t gonna make it. He was just used as ballast, basically. 

Yeah aware of that. Theres always the  ballast through the academy levels but we probably abused the privilege at that time!

JL - “we were flexible last summer, we didn’t know for sure if Alex was going”

SL 9 months ago - “we knew Alex was going, so was a case of getting the best deal possible”

”internally, they knew they’d struggle in the run of games against lesser opposition, and those defeats were largely expected”

Tinnion 3 months ago - “we were looking at those games, and rubbing our hands together”

As I said before, they could really learn from the age old saying “if you always tell the truth, you’ll never need to remember what you’ve said”  

More contradictions any time literally any one of them publicly speak. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Reminds me a certain Mr Kalas going back to Chelsea for pre season ‘confident of having a shot of being in the first team picture after back to back promotion campaigns on loan’, only to be used as an extra man in a wall alongside free kick mannequins. 

38 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Reminds me a certain Mr Kalas going back to Chelsea for pre season ‘confident of having a shot of being in the first team picture after back to back promotion campaigns on loan’, only to be used as an extra man in a wall alongside free kick mannequins. 

Exactly that mate. 
We were running Chelsea’s model but at a lower level, which was more likely to impact the potential careers of the likes of Morton. 
Probably could have carved a decent league 2 career, but we effed about with him so much he’s having to restart his career from NLS! 
The difference being that the Chelsea ‘youngsters’ were more likely to already be earning a good wedge, whereas in our model we’re literally playing with their lives as they’ll be on a minimum contract 

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

JL - “we were flexible last summer, we didn’t know for sure if Alex was going”

SL 9 months ago - “we knew Alex was going, so was a case of getting the best deal possible”

”internally, they knew they’d struggle in the run of games against lesser opposition, and those defeats were largely expected”

Tinnion 3 months ago - “we were looking at those games, and rubbing our hands together”

As I said before, they could really learn from the age old saying “if you always tell the truth, you’ll never need to remember what you’ve said”  

More contradictions any time literally any one of them publicly speak. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Billionaires son is a ******* shock...

God help us..

I pray that your God does help us. 

I personally don't believe in one.

But if one does exist, I can guarantee that it doesn't look anything like the Lansdowns, despite what their egos might tell them.

• Haha 1