IGNORED

England Squad

Super

Trent has been named as a midfielder in the last few squads, I don't see that changing. 

Mitchell the palace LB made the squad a few times under GS. I wonder if he'll be in. With it now being 26 places, I think they'll take the risk on involving Shaw. 

Looks like we're finally getting some big calls. Certainly Rashford being excluded feels right. At the moment we've got Saka, Foden and Palmer looking superb in the wide positions, plus Gordon and Bowen having very good seasons and surely Kane, Toney and Watkins have to be ahead of him for the forward positions.

Midfield-wise, you just wouldn't pick Henderson on form. Hard after Bellingham and Rice but Alexander-Arnold has to be in the frame too.  Mainoo and Wharton have been in form and Gallagher and Jones getting picked regularly at a higher level than Henderson so he has to be 8th at best in the picking order even with few outstanding candidates. 

Defence is interesting, especially at left back. If no Shaw or Chilwell then I'd see it as between Lewis, Mitchell and Gomez, the latter of whom can play in a lot of positions.

The big call I would take would be to recall Eric Dier. There are few outstanding options and he's done decently at Bayern. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Super said:

Think Grealish is fortunate to be in.

Yes lucky .

Maybe one who will drop out ?

Henderson and Rashford  paid for poor seasons .

Good to see some new in form players picked .

Don’t need the press conference as everything gets leaked anyway !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Markthehorn said:

Yes lucky .

Maybe one who will drop out ?

Henderson and Rashford  paid for poor seasons .

Good to see some new in form players picked .

Don’t need the press conference as everything gets leaked anyway !

Certainly Gordon is ahead of him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's the right call on Rashford, but I'd forgive him if he feels a bit miffed that Grealish has made the cut when he hasn't.

Grealish > Rashford

But understand what you’re saying. I can’t see Grealish getting much game time anyhow in the Euros 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's the right call on Rashford, but I'd forgive him if he feels a bit miffed that Grealish has made the cut when he hasn't.

I don't think I'd go for either in the final squad of 26. I suppose argument for Grealish over Rashford is that, whilst he's had a stop-start season, I'd see Grealish as more likely to suddenly conjure something out of nothing in a game where we desperately needed a goal. But there's at least four other players who can also do that who are in better form than Grealish. I'd probably include him in the 33 in case one of Foden, Palmer or Saka got an injury ahead of the tournament but I'd not take him if those three were fit, and I'd probably go for Gordon over him if they were not. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Good

Not sure who is going to be our third CM though, we have so many good attacking players but massive gaps in CB, CM and LB

IMO biggest loss is Luke shaw , no surprise rashford has been poor this season they seem to compliment each other rather like Neville & Beckham did , Luke shaw adds not just attacking flair or defensive capabilities he just adds balance to the side whether it be England or yaaaanited

• Like 1

I'm glad to see Henderson isn't included, but I can't help feeling that he's been living on borrowed time since he went to Saudi, and frankly Southgate should have dropped him long before now and given someone else game time.

I see also that Gallagher's in there, to do a lot of running around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I'm glad to see Henderson isn't included, but I can't help feeling that he's been living on borrowed time since he went to Saudi, and frankly Southgate should have dropped him long before now and given someone else game time.

I see also that Gallagher's in there, to do a lot of running around.

To be fair, Henderson wasn’t being picked just down to footballing ability. He’s there as almost a manager on the pitch, his professionalism and experience.

He’s obviously not technically one of our best centre mids but mentally he’s one of the best and that can be a huge advantage in a squad.

I would presume his performance levels have now dropped below the level which outweighs the positives from having him around.

Think Andy King for us last year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

To be fair, Henderson wasn’t being picked just down to footballing ability. He’s there as almost a manager on the pitch, his professionalism and experience.

He’s obviously not technically one of our best centre mids but mentally he’s one of the best and that can be a huge advantage in a squad.

I would presume his performance levels have now dropped below the level which outweighs the positives from having him around.

Think Andy King for us last year.

That would have been borderline fine as an excuse for him to be part of the squad. Not for starting as often as he was though.

He should have been dropped for about a year before he went chasing oil money.

England provisional squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Uncapped quintet Jarrad Branthwaite, Curtis Jones, Jarell Quansah, Adam Wharton and James Trafford have made Southgate's initial selection.

A bit confused as to what James Trafford has done to deserve a call up?

Interesting that Bellingham is named as a forward whilst Trent is named as a midfielder, wonder what the plan is there?

Edited by JBFC II

The goalkeeping department must be the worst its ever been for England, apart from Pickford the others have either been dropped or injured for most of the season (Trafford looked out of his depth for Burnley before they brought Muric back in.  Was Raya a better bet for Arsenal than Ramsdale, the jury probably still out).

Just now, Super said:

So 7 to be cut that will be interesting, You can probably already name a few.

Off the bat I'd say 

Trafford, Branthwaite, Quansah, Wharton, Jones, Toney and Eze.

The teams for the friendlies will give us more of a hint 

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

A bit confused as to what James Trafford has done to deserve a call up?

It's a provisional squad so he's likely there for the experience and probably won't be in the final 26. He has been outstanding for the U21s though.

Interesting that Bellingham is named as a forward whilst Trent is named as a midfielder, wonder what the plan is there?

Bellingham has been playing as an attacking 10 for Madrid this season and plays an advanced role for England too. A great foil for Kane.

TAA will likely be alongside Rice.

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Off the bat I'd say 

Trafford, Branthwaite, Quansah, Wharton, Jones, Toney and Eze.

The teams for the friendlies will give us more of a hint 

If you dont take Jones and Wharton, that leaves us with 4 CM's. Cant see that happening

Just now, chinapig said:

Surely we look to play Foden as a 10, Bellingham as an 8 alongside Rice and Trent as a right back who can step up if needed? Would be disappointed if we shove Foden onto the left with how good he’s been this season.

I really don’t get the Trafford one, he’s not shown he’s good enough for the Premier League never mind England. Do we need 4 keepers in this squad anyway?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If you dont take Jones and Wharton, that leaves us with 4 CM's. Cant see that happening

Bellingham and Maddison can both play as an 8, Stones has played there for Man City as well. It wouldn’t leave us that light considering it’s only covering 2 positions

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Surely we look to play Foden as a 10, Bellingham as an 8 alongside Rice and Trent as a right back who can step up if needed? Would be disappointed if we shove Foden onto the left with how good he’s been this season.

I really don’t get the Trafford one, he’s not shown he’s good enough for the Premier League never mind England. Do we need 4 keepers in this squad anyway?

He’s always said he doesn’t play centrally for England as he doesn’t for City. Which was rubbish at the time and after a good season Southgate’s recent quote is we want him in a centre position. 

A walking contradiction.

Anyway I’d move Bellingham back and Foden at 10 but then leaves a space on the left?! 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I

Totally agree. Then Palmer and Saka either side of Kane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Anyway I’d move Bellingham back and Foden at 10 but then leaves a space on the left?! 

Bellingham is our best player. Surely you play him where he plays for R Madrid?

Hope this doesn't turn into a Lampard/Gerrard situation

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Bellingham is our best player. Surely you play him where he plays for R Madrid?

Hope this doesn't turn into a Lampard/Gerrard situation

There’s an argument for that no doubt. Just think he is that good he could move back and be just as influential.