IGNORED

What a great name :laugh:

I remember a Reading FC goalkeeper with the Surname "Death" some years ago.......it was pronouced Dee- As.......for obvious reasons?    But that "Grim Reaper" kept Goal for quite sometime...and rarely made any Grave errors?

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

I remember a Reading FC goalkeeper with the Surname "Death" some years ago.......it was pronouced Dee- As.......for obvious reasons?    But that "Grim Reaper" kept Goal for quite sometime...and rarely made any Grave errors?

Steve iirc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Pretty sure I have seen a current player recently with the same name, and the same pronunciation by the commentator. 

Can't remember the game though.

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Brave to be a keeper with a name like that.

Mind you, if I had an ex with a name like that, I probably would have kept her...

if i had a bird called that,her pet name would have to be Baldy

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Used to watch Reading all them years ago at Elm Park (until luck would have it I moved to Bristol). Point is Steve Death was an amazing keeper, and was as recall never called De’ath. 

it was a Reading team with Robin Friday, superb (lookup “the greatest footballer you never saw”, a George Best / Jackie style of life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I recall a undertaker called de,ath in minder, Arthur bought some hearses off him, with a name like muffmuff he's going too be a great diver, I imagine,

And sold them to June Whitfield, the episode was 'The Car Lot Baggers', featuring a young Jimmy Nail, and (possibly) Ray Winstone.

11 hours ago, Superjack said:

Pretty sure I have seen a current player recently with the same name, and the same pronunciation by the commentator. 

Can't remember the game though.

Yeovil had a player called Lawson D'Ath (no "e" though) who played a while for us, he's at Hereford now but inbetween, played for several L1 and L2 clubs. Coincidentally came through at Reading too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

A chap was interviewed on the Chelsea Flower Show this week, a Mr Weed.

The surgeon who operated on my mother in law in Bath RUH was a Mr Sharp.

We had two supply teachers at school that I remember:

- Mrs Standin (perfect name)

- Miss Iles (who ironically wore a CND badge on her coat)

We also had Mr Farr, who was always knew as Ted!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I worked with a De'Ath.

The email system didn't accept apostrophes so his work email was "death@".

At one of the companies I worked for the email format was your surname followed by your initial. A chap there D. Stone said being StoneD@ was the bane of his life.

Another company it was the other way around much to the annoyance of Mrs F Hart. :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Here’s a pretty comprehensive list! Note several City connections in there……

https://www.themockturtle.com/Amock/viewtopic.php?t=7401

It's a great list, especially the list of Danger Fourpence's team mates, but unless I am mistaken they seem to have missed the most football name of all time in Mark De Mann. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

A great list that. I think my favourite is Norman Conquest. Unbelievable Geoff.

My late uncle in Newcastle used to work with a Mr Sprout who named his son Russell.

My late Dad used to tell of a lady whose first name was Lettice and who married a Mr Leaf. 

22 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

A great list that. I think my favourite is Norman Conquest. Unbelievable Geoff.

My late uncle in Newcastle used to work with a Mr Sprout who named his son Russell.

I used to work with a bloke called Hyde and at one point he was seriously considering naming his soon to be born daughter Jaqueline until it was pointed out to him that it might not be a good choice.

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2024 at 09:22, italian dave said:

My late Dad used to tell of a lady whose first name was Lettice and who married a Mr Leaf. 

I’ve heard this story too. Apparently, a few years later, they boarded the Titanic and hit an iceberg…..

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2024 at 08:45, Davefevs said:

We had two supply teachers at school that I remember:

- Mrs Standin (perfect name)

- Miss Iles (who ironically wore a CND badge on her coat)

We also had Mr Farr, who was always knew as Ted!

We had a Mr Farr (sports teacher) and his wife a drama teacher in Chepstow school.