IGNORED

Possible Stadium Site

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

This piece of land is available and possibly big enough for a modern football stadium.

This part of Bristol is currently undergoing huge developemnt as I'm sure you're aware, so a stadium with conference facilities would surely be in demand through the week?

Add to this a City Centre location and being next to one of the most widely used stations in the country and the location is almost a dream for a football club, however as stated the area of land may not be suitable.

The transport links to that stadium would be already be in place.

I'm sure a sadium could be a centrepiece of the Temple Quay area re-development AND it is the will of the government to aim for stadiums to be built in centeral locations, since the amount built out of town centres in the 90's.

If the club still fancy building a new stadium, surely this is worth a feasibilty study or site vist?

What do people thing?

great in the middle of town with all the traffic problems then once you have found a place to park and there aint many round there!!! and i dont think the council will allow it too be built round that area and finally aint that where the arena is being built on that site!!

and also its a dump trust me i worked there

I think I know the area of land you're talking about Willsbridge, but it has already been earmarked for the Bristol Arena.

Oh, hang on, this is Bristol City Council we're talking about here! Yet another pie in the sky idea again... in that case the land should be ours to use :P:wub:;)

I do agree that it would be a cracking place to situate it, especially with all the redevelopments going on. However, I cannot honestly see how the council would let us plonk a stadium in the city centre - they refuse everything else, so why grant this one?

On parking, if it's in the centre then most people would be able to (god help us in First's hands) get a bus to the game. People travelling with a car could use a park and ride facility like the one we currently nick most Saturdays.

As for away parking... well, with the train station right opposite, they would have no excuse not to use our lovely rail system. And from a copper's point of view, it will be even easy to shepard the away fans to and from the stadium. Sorted :unsure:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

The Bristol Arena is further up.

I can't see why parking would even be an issue wise, because up the public transport links.

Maybe if Great Western wanted to part finance the project? It would be great marketing next to one of their flagship stations.

There's always Richard Bransons Virgin Rail ;)

I think I know the area of land you're talking about Willsbridge, but it has already been earmarked for the Bristol Arena.

Oh, hang on, this is Bristol City Council we're talking about here! Yet another pie in the sky idea again... in that case the land should be ours to use  :P  :wub:  ;)

I do agree that it would be a cracking place to situate it, especially with all the redevelopments going on. However, I cannot honestly see how the council would let us plonk a stadium in the city centre - they refuse everything else, so why grant this one?

On parking, if it's in the centre then most people would be able to (god help us in First's hands) get a bus to the game. People travelling with a car could use a park and ride facility like the one we currently nick most Saturdays.

As for away parking... well, with the train station right opposite, they would have no excuse not to use our lovely rail system. And from a copper's point of view, it will be even easy to shepard the away fans to and from the stadium. Sorted  :unsure:

Yes and don't forget it's our great council's Sport For All year in 2004, what do you mean you didn't notice? after all they've put a banner up in Broadmead!

Thanks to them and their wonderful sporting facilities ( and unstinting backing for all sport in the City,Bristol a council we're all so proud of.

There's huge piece of land just off of Hartcliffe Way as well but there's more chance of us winning the Champions League than the Council helping out.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

bristol City Council having a year of sport ;):unsure:

I would love a spokesman to come out and say what they've done for sport in the last decade, let alone year!

There's huge piece of land just off of Hartcliffe Way as well but there's more chance of us winning the Champions League than the Council helping out.

Presumably that would be the land at Hengrove then? This was a possibility a few years ago, but it was deemed impractical or something.

The only other piece of land I can think of is The old Wheels factory, but I'm sure that something is already planned for this site anyway (next to the new Argos, B&Q, JJB etc).

Edit: What's this with a new stadium anyway, has the club suddenly came into a massive windfall ;)

I think you mean St Phillips marsh.If so, its already been looked at and dismissed as unsuitable.

Wasn't it the Fruit Market site that was dismissed? I think they are meant to be moving, maybe to Avonmouth, I can't remember when.

I think the area in question is the big space cleared behind the boards on the Bath Road, just before the railway bridge. It stretches right over to Cattle market road, where the Royal Mail used to be before they moved to Filton. But as the area has been cleared I expect there are plans already in place for the space, a concert hall was mentioned. Maybe we could have an arena for concerts...witha gert big football pitch in the middle.

I would prefer a new stadium here rather than Severnside.I can't see it happening with our council and I expect we would have to share with that other lot too! ;)

Guest bristolbred
What do people thing?

I thing!! that it's more feasable to do a Wimbledon, and move City to

Castle Donington!!!, :city:

Lot's of room for development, where the old power station used to be, handy for the M1,M42, and East Midlands Airport.

No traffic congestion, lot's of fresh air, and it's only 150 miles from BS3!!, :grr::P:laugh:

Guest bristolbred
Depends if my trains off the right platform.

If it's OFF the right platform, then you'll be in serious trouble, as the driver of your train would have forgot to stop at Temple Meads!!, :city:

You need platform 15, normally used by FGW services to/from London. :laugh:

Have you ever noticed, that there is NO platform 14 at Temple Meads!!, :grr:

Guest bristolbred
Are you sure it's not further down from 15?

Sad to say, that apart from platforms 1. and 2., which are "Bay" platforms, platforms 3 to 12 are split in the middle by a st Andrews cross banner, which to a train driver is a local instruction, where permission is required by signal, or signaller to pass!!,

But platform 13 was made a bay platform when Bath Road depot closed, and platform 15 became the through platform, without a st Andrews cross banner, hence no platform 14!!. :city:

I think you'll find the old post office site on cattle market road is nowhere near big enough a site to host a modern football stadium and the infrastructure would be an absolute nightmare.

The site itself at present is a dump and a complete eyesore to anyone visiting Bristol by train. I believe their are long term plans for this site which will be the usual "mixed use"...offices, expensive flats, occasional leisure.

Temple Quarter

Guest bristolbred
A stadium by temple meads would make so much easier for our Somerset based fans too

Shouldn't they be supporting the likes of Bath City and Yeovil??, :city:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

If you look at the zone map

bamap.jpg

The area I'm taling about is to the north of the red zone

tmmap.jpg

And to the left of temple meads.

Fail to see why the ground needs a huge infrastructure, Reading, Stoke and Leicester don;t and THOSE stadiums aren't in a transport hub.

The Temple Quay office project clearly doesn't affect the post office site

tqmap.jpg

But what you have to look at is the access to the site.....it would basically be one road in, one road out! Cattlemarket Road and Avon Street are an absolute nightmare NOW!

Consider this.....

Due to Temple Meads/The Feeder, there would only be one road into the stadium, Cattlemarket Road.

If you were travelling from East Bristol.....Most probably Feeder road onto Cattlemarket Road

If you were travelling from South Bristol.....Most probably Temple Meads onto Cattlemarket Road or Albert Road onto Cattlemarket Road.

If you were travelling from North/West Bristol.....Most probably Temple Meads onto Cattlemarket Road or Avon Street.

That would put one hell of a lot of pressure on the already slow Cattlemarket Road!

I would happily build a stadium there tomorrow but we all know the way our council thinks :city:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

RedRaw that is a very good point, but all the roads around the area are being improved as part of the Temple Quay development to cope with demand.

Surely these roads wouldn't have such volume on a saturday, and the club you really beneift from the Brislington and Long Ashton Park and rides.

THe council report on Temple quay staes this about the land:

"To the east, the former Post Office Sorting Centre at Cattle Market Road

is being considered for re-use/redevelopment. The new owner is currently

assessing ways in which the opportunities for major new investment can best

benefit from direct connections into and through the railway station.

12"

RedRaw that is a very good point, but all the roads around the area are being improved as part of the Temple Quay development to cope with demand.

Surely these roads wouldn't have such volume on a saturday, and the club you really beneift from the Brislington and Long Ashton Park and rides.

THe council report on Temple quay staes this about the land:

"To the east, the former Post Office Sorting Centre at Cattle Market Road

is being considered for re-use/redevelopment. The new owner is currently

assessing ways in which the opportunities for major new investment can best

benefit from direct connections into and through the railway station.

12"

But is there any evidence that people would actually use the public transport system in sufficient numbers?

I've always thought that a lot of people want good public transport, so that everyone else will use it and the roads will be clear for them to drive in.

I'm not pouring cold water on the idea, just wondering if it would work as well in reality as it does on paper.

No doubt the roads will be improved around the area but at the end of the day they are only going to be one lane each way....Feeder, Albert, Cattlemarket, Avon. The only large carriageway is Temple way, Temple meads and yes, they do get busy on a Weekend. The demand they are talking of I'm sure relates to the additional offices/homes and not a 30,000 stadium.

I think in most cases, any new proposed stadium has to come with good access/infrastructure, thats why a lot are built out of town.

Nice idea, but considering the councils mind-set and the almost certain "not in my back yard" brigade, it would be a non-starter

But hey, what do I know.......I'm just a coal digging pikey! :city:

Archived