IGNORED

Departing Managers

Southport Red

I got to thinking about all the managers City have had since I've supported them. So many have come and gone and yet my reaction to each departure has been quite different, i.e. (not in order just off the top of my head)

Alan Dicks - Gutted, he had to go but it was the end of an era

Jordan (1st time) betrayed, disloyal ****

Cooper gutted

Jordan (2nd time) relieved

Smith :city:

Osman Relieved/indifferent

Ward Shocked, seemed so sudden

Lennartsson Disappointed, I know we weren't good but he was a great coach of the young'uns, I think longer term we would be in the Championship now

Pulis Delirious, "Ding-dong the witch is dead"

Gang of three - Gutted, shouldn't have worked but it did

Wilson Disappointed and shocked (but, strangely it didn't last long)

Tinnion shocked, did not expect him to quit after a handfull of games :city:

Interestingly, other than Jordan going to Hearts, all the others, bar Pulis (OK, OK AND Tinnion) were fired by City and yet the only one I was TRULY glad to see the back of was the one we didn't fire, i.e. Clueless.

What would your list look like?

I got to thinking about all the managers City have had since I've supported them.  So many have come and gone and yet my reaction to each departure has been quite different, i.e. (not in order just off the top of my head)

Cooper gutted

Smith  :city:

Lennartsson Disappointed, I know we weren't good but he was a great coach of the young'uns, I think longer term we would be in the Championship now

Tinnion shocked, did not expect him to quit after a handfull of games  :city:

Interestingly, other than Jordan going to Hearts, all the others, bar Pulis (OK, OK AND Tinnion) were fired by City and yet the only one I was TRULY glad to see the back of was the one we didn't fire, i.e. Clueless.

Tinnion Quit where did that come from???????

The biggest disapointment was Ward i really felt sorry for the guy as they really stiched him. Other than that ive never been disapointed to see the rest go

I got to thinking about all the managers City have had since I've supported them.  So many have come and gone and yet my reaction to each departure has been quite different, i.e. (not in order just off the top of my head)

Cooper gutted

I appreciate Jimmy Lumsden wasnt here a long time but bit harsh to leave him off the list!!!!!

And after all he did guide us to our highest league finish since dicks time after Big Joe buggered off to hearts

Wilson definately.... We would not be in this predicament If he was still In charge.

Last season's start under Wilson:

Played 7 Won 2 Drawn 4 Lost 1 Points 10

This season's start under Tinnion:

Played 7 Won 2 Drawn 2 Lost 3 Points 8

A difference of two points. Hardly what I'd call a predicament.

We missed out on Promotion by a point had the best defence in the League, went on a 11 match winning run and had a stable team. If he was still here we would still have Peacock Brown and probably Carey and we certainly wouldnt have been in 17th or whatever stupid position it is we find ourselves in. WE arent going up this season... so what if we have won 2 games in a row.

FACT..... THE TEAM ISNT AS GOOD AS LAST SEASON

We missed out on Promotion by a point had the best defence in the League, went on a 11 match winning run and had a stable team. If he was still here we would still have Peacock Brown and probably Carey and we certainly wouldnt have been in 17th or whatever stupid position it is we find ourselves in. WE arent going up this season... so what if we have won 2 games in a row.

We wouldnt have brown - he had told SL last summer that he wasn't going to renew his contract and we spent most of the season trying to sell him.

As for the others maybe but i dont htink Carey is any devastating loss particualrly as Smith has come in who has impressed me thus far (apart from his occassional kung fu antics)

I think we are missing peacock though (i cant believe i said it either :city: ) and we do need a replacement asap

However we arent in crisis - only two points worse off at the moment than last year and the last two games show (whilst not making a summer) that perhaps tinman has settled down a bit in the job, got tht players back on board and can move us in the right direction.

I think we undoubtably have the talent in this squad to get promoted - a target man would be the icing on the cake but the talent is still there and i think tinman is finally starting to get a grip on it.

You cant actually have a opinion on this forum can you!

I know Aaron would have stayed if Danny was still here because he told me that himself.... as for carey everyone has there own opinion on him but he was the best right back in the division last season voted by players not fans

You cant actually have a opinion on this forum can you!

I know Aaron would have stayed if Danny was still here because he told me that himself.... as for carey everyone has there own opinion on him but he was the best right back in the division last season voted by players not fans

Of course you can have an opinion - you're entitled to it but i dont agree with it - nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately though i wanst party to your private conversation with Aaron so was unaware that he would have stayed if DW was here - i was merely working on the basis that SL quite clearly stated Aaron told him 12 months before the end of his contract he didnt want to stay and we were trying to sell him last season - on that basis i say he probably wouldnt have been here even if DW stayed (of course his broken leg does through a spanner in the works)

As for Carey i didnt say he was wasn't a good player but i think Smith is a more than adequate replacement for him and i dont think he is being missed that much - if Smith hadnt signed however i agree it would have left a big hole at right back without KA fit.

Yeah, RIGHT...........the 11 match run was far from being that convincing...we bored the @ rse off the fans and teams all round. Brown went AWOL every other game, Carey, was one of the culprits for worst performer all season, and as for the legend that is Leapy-Well 16 goals in 40 odd matches is a fantastic effort, mr blast wide up/down/sideways, and mr foul it/off side man...Fact is poor old Miller, Roberts, and Lita got a very she itty end of the stick cos of Wonder-sons love child, and the obsession with him, is actually what cost promotion, and now those four faces (Wonder-son, Carey, Brown Bros, and Leapy aint here anymore, I suggest that makes us stronger. A quote for you from the infamous Wonder-son after the Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff debacle: "Defeat is Not Failure"- this following comments from Mr L, that failure to get promotion would lead to cost cuts.A negative approach from Wonder-son, compared to a more positive approch from Tins, albeit, with mistakes being made, but there again woder-son NEVER did did he. The Team IS as good this season, wether they can produce the results, rather depends on our new manager, who being a mere human does make errors, but the last two performances have answered a few critics I think you'll agree??

There again someone who maybe a fan of Wonder-Son wouldnt agree with me...I thought he should have gone after the Wycombe Away game, a new low point in City performances over the years............instead we were allowed to drift to the ignominious end at Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff

Cooper gutted

GETTING BACK ON THREAD HERE *AHEM*

Such joy when Clueless went, also when Osman went too - he was a schemer and a crp manager who signed a load of old hasbeens who it then took years to get rid of.

Lumsden shouldn't have been appointed, but a more charming man you not meet. that was a shame.

Jordan 1 - grrrrrrr...Jordan 2 so what.

Cooper - time ran out.

Ward - suprise and a degree of annoyance at his petulance

Benny - frustration that we didn't have the depth of vision to use him properly.

gang of 3 - they don't count

Fawthrop - eh?what?whazzgoinon?

Wilson - he took too long, but weak willed chairmen must be humoured I suppose.

anyone I missed?

:city:

IMO Danny's only fault was not playing Leroy. If we had the same team as last year with him and LeeP up front then things would have been different. Tins has only bought Heff Orr and Smith none of who have shone or are better than what we had last season.

I don't post often, but this has to be said. Wilson had the resources to achieve automatic promotion last season. 3rd place in 2002/3 was disappointing but acceptable, but given the strength of our squad anything short of automatic promotion was bound to represent failure. Wilson consistently failed to find the correct selection or tactics to impose his team on mediocre opposition, and could only motivate his team in the face of quality opposition (as our record against top six clubs last year indicates), but even here he failed in the play off final. Our performance that day was abject, as was the team selection, and the failure to secure promotion through the play-offs has to be laid entirely (as does the failure to achieve automatic promotion) at Danny Wilson's door. Had he stayed I cannot see how the position would have improved. Management is all about 'getting the job done through people' and a good manager (in any walk of life) can get a team to perform collectively above its capabilities as individuals. Sadly, Danny was the other way round, he took a bunch of individuals of great talent, and turned them into an underachieving team. This represents complete failure for a manager, and he had to go as a result.

Last year we achieved third place despite Danny Wilson. I hope that this year if we achieve 3rd place at least it will be because of Brian Tinnion.

As others of my age will tell you, a year after his appointment, the Gate resounded to shouts of "Dicks must go". The board stuck by him though and every few years the goods were delivered; League Cup semi final, FA Cup quarter final, First Div. I was shocked when he was dismissed after 13 years in charge, but we then had 7 managers in the next 14 years. I was disapointed when Ward left, but the others? Houghton had success with every club and national side he managed with the exception of City. Jordan (1st time) left for a bigger club so we can't complain. The gang of three seemed to be working, but something happened behind the scenes and osman wasn't that bad but he fell out with the then Chairman.

Lumsden and Smith were definite no-nos.

I don't post often, but this has to be said.  Wilson had the resources to achieve automatic promotion last season.  3rd place in 2002/3 was disappointing but acceptable, but given the strength of our squad anything short of automatic promotion was bound to represent failure.  Wilson consistently failed to find the correct selection or tactics to impose his team on mediocre opposition, and could only motivate his team in the face of quality opposition (as our record against top six clubs last year indicates), but even here he failed in the play off final.  Our performance that day was abject, as was the team selection, and the failure to secure promotion through the play-offs has to be laid entirely (as does the failure to achieve automatic promotion) at Danny Wilson's door.  Had he stayed I cannot see how the position would have improved.  Management is all about 'getting the job done through people' and a good manager (in any walk of life) can get a team to perform collectively above its capabilities as individuals.  Sadly, Danny was the other way round, he took a bunch of individuals of great talent, and turned them into an underachieving team.  This represents complete failure for a manager, and he had to go as a result.

Last year we achieved third place despite Danny Wilson.  I hope that this year if we achieve 3rd place at least it will be because of Brian Tinnion.

You say you don't post often, that's a shame as you talk a lot of sense.

IMO Danny's only fault was not playing Leroy. If we had the same team as last year with him and LeeP up front then things would have been different. Tins has only bought Heff Orr and Smith none of who have shone or are better than what we had last season.

"Danny" did have one other fault. He managed to BORE the pants off more than a few thousand City fans every other week with dull, defensive, negative, uncreative, uninspiring football. The farce at the Millennium tells me everything I needed to know about the Wilson mindset. Isn't it strange how the team with the best DEFENSIVE record in the division failed to secure promotion.

One final point, from what I saw against Brentford and what I heard from people who travelled to Peterborough, Tinnion is starting to play a bit of attack minded football. About time too. £24 to be bored to death? Not again thank you very much!!

Archived