IGNORED

***newsflash***

potbelly

Roberts is a player who got 17 goals in his first full season with us - most city players who scored that amount would be first choice for the next season and be a fan favourite.

Last season - after a long spell out of the team, comes back to score 5 out of 8 including crucial goals against QPR and Hartlepool - any other player who would have scored in such big games would have a legendary status

The most unappreciated player to play for city since I've been supporting them - for what he has done.

Notorious Riazzi G-we agree on this...............I have NEVER heard the abuse this poor sod gets on the terraces week in week out, and among the forum posters..never going to change BBM and all his dumb @ ss mates...or the Roiberts haters here, unfortunately.

Nailsea: Point taken about it being Robbo this season, and Donkey Peacock last season, BUT there were still braindeads slagging off Robbo, during the QPR game...and the leg end which was Leapy was copping no flak.........we do have some seriously f eckin fickle fans, but this anti Robbo stuff is different to most. Cant even remember Steve Jones getting this much grief, and he was REALLY, REALLY c r@p !!!!

G

Isnt it funny that when Christian starts to play well again and the opportunitites to slag him off for his football become less and less we once again seem to end up back with cardiff goal stories again.

Honestly i do wonder what people want from him - perhaps if he'd have copied Scottys ayatollah he'd have mmore respect on this forum - but probably a couple less family members with all their faculty's still in place.

Grow up, get over it and leave the kid alone will you.

Or alternatively take up this challenge.

Round up your family members, dress them all in city shirts, come over and meet me in cardiff one saturday afternoon and i'll take you to a bluebirds pub which you can walk in and sing 'we hate cardiff' at the top of your voices.

Then maybe you'll see the sort of treatment Chritian was worried about him and his family recieiving and then you might just in future drink a big cup of shut the **** up instead of crticising him.

Roberts is a player who got 17 goals in his first full season with us - most city players who scored that amount would be first choice for the next season and be a fan favourite.

Last season - after a long spell out of the team, comes back to score 5 out of 8 including crucial goals against QPR and Hartlepool - any other player who would have scored in such big games would have a legendary status

The most unappreciated player to play for city since I've been supporting them - for what he has done.

Well said Riazzi. :laugh:

He even scored goals against Cardiff which should have won them over.

It seems even a hat-trick against the gas wouldn't change the view of some his persecutors. :laugh:

Now that thousands of us in the crowd who object to his unfair treatment are starting to find our voices i expect the isolated outbursts from the entrenched minority to become less and less frequent, and Robbo will be left in no doubt that the vast majority DO appreciate him.

Yesterday Roberts picks up the ball around the halfway line and powers forward to the 6 yard box where he hits the ball into the chest of the keeper when he could of laid it back. But this was still a very good piece of play as he beat several players and was unlucky not to score. As this happened a goan went around the ground and most people around me slating him.

Then a few minutes later Lita recieves the ball on the edge of the box miscontrols it with a bad first touch and the ball goes out for a goal kick. Then all of a sudden people start singing Leroy, Leroy, Leroy. In the same way when Tommy gets booked he gets chanted for.

I rate Lita and he has done great for us this season but so has Christian Roberts. He maybe frustrating but sometimes he provides, like yesterday, moments of magic.

If its just because hes Welsh it very racist. Did Barnard have this problem? Does English players in the Cardiff team have this problem?

Roberts is one of the best players in our squad and is still before his prime. One day we could find ourselves with one of the best strikers in the league. All he is missing is a bit of composure.

These fans who call Roberts names are not true Bristol City fans. I do not bother reading 'anti Roberts posts'. They take up to much of my valuble time and effert.

Keep up the good work Christian!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :clap:

That's all news to me. Parkin will go up into the Championship ahead of City... And I don't honestly think Roberts will want a move to Swindon, I don't want him either... BUT, you'd bet your life he'd play week in and week out. Fallon is currently useless... Lloyd Opara has quit for non-league for personal reasons aka Not being able to cut it in the league and other than loanee Henderson our stikers are "wanted" Sammy Parkin and 16 year old Andy Caton

Its all fine when Parkin plays but after him the cupboard looks bare. Caton has had some good things written about him but at 16 he's two-three years away. Quite frankly I am amazed that such a shabby youth system produced Leigh Mills (England Youth Captain in case anyone wondered).

Mmmm maybe I should start posting on your forum.....

Would have to go against the lot of you.

Greed as a striker in small proportions is ok, expecially if you have a prooven track record of quality and consistant finishing.

Two things that stuck out from what people have had to say.

"barnard was welsh and he didn't get any stick? why is this?"

This is probaly because people though Barnard was a good player and they happen to not rate Roberts as a player, racism does not come into it one bit so don't be silly come on.

another one.

"if a player takes it all the way from the half way line he deserves to finish the move"

NO. A quality player would still pass if someone is in a better position, this is a team game so even if the keeper took on the whole team with amazing skill was one on one with the keeper who was closing him down quickly and tightened the angle however anothe rplayer is in a certain scoring position I would certainly hope the keeper would pass it.

Yes Lita does shoot when hes in a good position but look how many goals Lita got from it and how many Roberts got from it.

I don't mind him shotting when he gets a chance now and then but sometimes he can get too greedy and I don;t think I once seen him pass the ball forward to someone when he was withing 25 yards of the goal.

He didn't have a bad game no-one did but definately not MOTM that is ridiculous. So i am not criticing him. He hasn't been so bad to lose his first team place in my opinion. He has actually been alright, but nothing extremely eye catching like a few of our players have been.

Would have to go against the lot of you.

Greed as a striker in small proportions is ok, expecially if you have a prooven track record of quality and consistant finishing.

Two things that stuck out from what people have had to say.

"barnard was welsh and he didn't get any stick? why is this?"

This is probaly because people though Barnard was a good player and they happen to not rate Roberts as a player, racism does not come into it one bit so don't be silly come on.

another one.

"if a player takes it all the way from the half way line he deserves to finish the move"

NO. A quality player would still pass if someone is in a better position, this is a team game so even if the keeper took on the whole team with amazing skill was one on one with the keeper who was closing him down quickly and tightened the angle however anothe rplayer is in a certain scoring position I would certainly hope the keeper would pass it.

Yes Lita does shoot when hes in a good position but look how many goals Lita got from it and how many Roberts got from it.

I don't mind him shotting when he gets a chance now and then but sometimes he can get too greedy and I don;t think I once seen him pass the ball forward to someone when he was withing 25 yards of the goal.

He didn't have a bad game no-one did but definately not MOTM that is ridiculous. So i am not criticing him. He hasn't been so bad to lose his first team place in my opinion. He has actually been alright, but nothing extremely eye catching like a few of our players have been.

Was Lita in a certain scoring position? It was on Roberts weaker foot to supply the pass so maybe the alternative to the shot was a scuffed pass.

I don't think it is ridiculous to say that he was a contender for MOTM.

Apart from that I mostly agree with your sentiment.

Yesterday Roberts picks up the ball around the halfway line and powers forward to the 6 yard box where he hits the ball into the chest of the keeper when he could of laid it back. But this was still a very good piece of play as he beat several players and was unlucky not to score. As this happened a goan went around the ground and most people around me slating him.

Then a few minutes later Lita recieves the ball on the edge of the box miscontrols it with a bad first touch and the ball goes out for a goal kick. Then all of a sudden people start singing Leroy, Leroy, Leroy. In the same way when Tommy gets booked he gets chanted for.

I rate Lita and he has done great for us this season but so has Christian Roberts. He maybe frustrating but sometimes he provides, like yesterday, moments of magic.

If its just because hes Welsh it very racist. Did Barnard have this problem? Does English players in the Cardiff team have this problem?

Roberts is one of the best players in our squad and is still before his prime. One day we could find ourselves with one of the best strikers in the league. All he is missing is a bit of composure.

You're right.

People will say that they aren't racist towards him and say it's his attitude that is the problem but it seems to me like a cover up. It's things like what you say that prove that.

Emile Heskey gets terrible stick wheras Saint Owen can do nothing wrong.

Same with Aaron Brown. At a game last season, whenever he did anything slightly out of place he'd shout "you black *******". There's no need for it.

Some people may dislike Roberts for the way he plays football - fair enough we all have opinions but when people who call themselves supporters s lag him off (and usually it's with "you welsh" at the beginning) is very annoying. It's completely uncalled for.

God, I've been ranting all night... and to think, we won 5-0 on Saturday! :laugh::P:laugh:

It is nothing to do with his nationality if it was they would be critical towards, Lita, Wilkshire, etc etc who aren't English.

Also none of our other past Welsh players suffered from it. Take it some people belive he isn't agreat player and as you can't see why they cannot see why you think hes great, some may even think you favour him as you feel sorry for him because you have an idea that people pick on him cause hes welsh.

I really hate people putting people thinking hes not a great player down to him being welsh I can assure you 90-99% of people who don't think hes a great player belive this due to their opinion of him as a PLAYER.

Guest Spunkwood
AHHHHHHHHHHHH ENOUGH OF BLOODY ROBERTS FOR ONE DAY, WEEK, MONTH EVEN YEAR!!!

You would of thought he was someking of superstar with all this discussion going on about him!!

yeah but that was poseted yesterday :@ :@ :@ :@

Guest MaloneFM

I have got to side with the anti Roberts camp on this one.

BUT..he is improving.

However I don't think he will get much better. But it has been explained to me that what we paid for him and what we are getting he is a bargain.

Now this is where we get to the whole basis of the anti Roberts thing. He turned up all white boots and silly patterns shaved in his head. He looked handy. In the way Torpey (top scorer for Swansea, said he crawl over the bridge to play for City, scored on his debut, got a massive head injury which he didn't recover from until he went to S****horpe) looked handy.

It was quite obvious he wasn't as good as he looked or thought he was. He constantly whined for the ball only to waste the chance and blame other members of the team. He gave it away..still does. And goes down quicker than the Gas after christmas.

But I'm afraid the icing on the cake was the Cardiff display.

We pay his wages. Cardiff didn't want him. He was at Exeter and on the way down in his career when we gave him a chance. To repay us he said that if he scored against Cardiff, who's supporters hate him more than we could ever, he would not celebrate to stop revenge against his family.

Cobblers.

If I was in his position and City turned me down and I was playing for Cardiff and I scored at the gate I would dance like a looney just to show the people who thought I was rubbish as a footballer were wrong. He is a professional footballer. WE pay him. Anyone see the interview with his dad before the play off fiasco? He said they never have any trouble from Cardiff City supporters. Even when he scored against them the neighbours were pleased for him.

When Ipswich came here in a freindly a few seasons ago Marcus Stewart had a damn good stab at trying to score against us. And not because he is ex Gas and a City supporter. He is a professional.

I think getting married and having his contract extended by one season has calmed him down a lot. Gone are the silly swirly patterns in his head. And some of the whining. He has got his head down and played much better. He signs autographs before games. CHRIST I even saw him laugh once!

So even though I know he is the Bovil man..you love him or hate him. I don't hate him. Its pointless. He DOES have a PR job on his hands. What happened when Ian Baird stuck two fingers up to the Atyeo in the freindly against Chelsea? Off to Southampton he went. Not because he is ginger either.

So Roberts has started badly. Promising much more than he has delivered. Liam Robinson STANK but he knew it and never pretended to anything else then a trier. Gary Owers was no George Best but didnt go around thinking he was.

I could list a whole raft of Welsh players..how much stick did Rob Edwards get?

Its not about him being Welsh. Its about him thinking he's Ian Rush sometimes.

But I will say in his defence. HELL of a turn saturday. Weak shot. Should have saved it but he deserved the goal for the turn alone

Guest Spunkwood
I have got to side with the anti Roberts camp on this one.

BUT..he is improving.

However I don't think he will get much better. But it has been explained to me that what we paid for him and what we are getting he is a bargain.

Now this is where we get to the whole basis of the anti Roberts thing. He turned up all white boots and silly patterns shaved in his head. He looked handy. In the way Torpey (top scorer for Swansea, said he crawl over the bridge to play for City, scored on his debut, got a massive head injury which he didn't recover from until he went to S****horpe) looked handy.

It was quite obvious he wasn't as good as he looked or thought he was. He constantly whined for the ball only to waste the chance and blame other members of the team. He gave it away..still does. And goes down quicker than the Gas after christmas.

We pay his wages. Cardiff didn't want him. He was at Exeter and on the way down in his career when we gave him a chance. To repay us he said that if he scored against Cardiff, who's supporters hate him more than we could ever, he would not celebrate to stop revenge against his family.

Cobblers.

If I was in his position and City turned me down and I was playing for Cardiff and I scored at the gate I would dance like a looney just to show the people who thought I was rubbish as a footballer were wrong. He is a professional footballer. WE pay him. Anyone see the interview with his dad before the play off fiasco? He said they never have any trouble from Cardiff City supporters. Even when he scored against them the neighbours were pleased for him.

When Ipswich came here in a freindly a few seasons ago Marcus Stewart had a damn good stab at trying to score against us. And not because he is ex Gas and a City supporter. He is a professional.

I think getting married and having his contract extended by one season has calmed him down a lot. Gone are the silly swirly patterns in his head. And some of the whining. He has got his head down and played much better. He signs autographs before games. CHRIST I even saw him laugh once!

So even though I know he is the Bovil man..you love him or hate him. I don't hate him. Its pointless. He DOES have a PR job on his hands. What happened when Ian Baird stuck two fingers up to the Atyeo in the freindly against Chelsea? Off to Southampton he went. Not because he is ginger either.

So Roberts has started badly. Promising much more than he has delivered. Liam Robinson STANK but he knew it and never pretended to anything else then a trier. Gary Owers was no George Best but didnt go around thinking he was.

I could list a whole raft of Welsh players..how much stick did Rob Edwards get? 

Its not about him being Welsh. Its about him thinking he's Ian Rush sometimes.

But I will say in his defence. HELL of a turn saturday. Weak shot. Should have saved it but he deserved the goal for the turn alone

Get over yourself mate that was pretty harsh but what do I know I only seen Roberts play for exeter and he's awesome :laugh:

Guest MaloneFM

That was FAIR compared to some of the stuff you hear about him. And he probably was good in the Exeter team like Torpey was good for Swansea. And Dyche was good at Chesterfield.

But not here.

Cobblers.

He still scored though didn't he, isn't that what is important? What more can the bloke do? I do not hold his muted celebration against him.

I don't know the answer to this question, but was Dennis Law treated in a similar fashion by Man City fans after the infamous incident?

Just to clear up the Barnard situation, Darren was born in Germany to English parents who just happened to be serving in the British armed forces. He could have, therefore, played for any of the British national teams ie England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland or indeed Germany.

He was picked, if I remember rightly, by Bobby Gould to play for Wales, but he is actually less Welsh than Tommy is Irish. He also wasn't picked for Wales until he moved to Barnsley.

But plenty of other City players have represented Wales over the last few years and have remained all round popular figures, ie Rob Edwards, Howard Pritchard and Mark Aizelwood so why does Christian incur the wroth of a small but significant number of fans?

Being a Cardiff fan shouldn't really come into it, as pointed out he has scored against them twice - although this could be a factor - Beadle sufferred the same fate from a few mumpheads who considered him to be a gashead up till the day he left, despite scoring against them. Of course the difference here is that Beadle was not actually a Rovers fan. Being Welsh and proud of it does seem to wrankle a few of the more extreme nutters in the crowd - when Scott Murray (and formerly Lee Peacock) has a poor game or cocks something up you don't here "Scottish this that and the other" being mouthed around the ground.

So there is an element of anti-Welsh racism amongst some of our more neanderthal fans (it may be more widespread if you remember the disgraceful reception that was given to Mark Hughes at the Millenium Stadium) but why has CR had to take more than the likes of Mark Aizelwood who was also a proud Welshman.

I think that the answer lies in a combination of his attitude, personality, and frustration with his inconsistency, that has marked him out for those who feel that any shortcomings are licence to hurl racist abuse. I would like to think that the club would not tolerate such abusive racism towards any black or Asian players, so why do they tolerate this?

In a nutshell, Christian has a similar attitude to Tony Thorpe. He's got an air of arrogance, is a bit of a flash geezer, thinks he's a better player than he is (like TT he is a decent jouneyman striker in the third flight of English football) he is petulant and winds the opposition fans up! People tend to forget how popular a player Thorpe was until he stated that he wasn't signing another contract and then all these things that fans had turned a blind eye to suddenly came racing to the surface - TT can think himself lucky that he was born in Leicester, not Cardiff! What the idiots don't realise is that this ego thing is what made them good enough strikers to play at this level in the first place.

I believe that everyone has a right to go to a football match and yell and criticize as much as they want when players don't perform, but it should be confined to criticism on football matters only. If Robbo - who I believe to be a decent player who has been a big part in city's recent revival - is called a Welsh **** when he messes up a chance or misplaces a pass then the person who shouts this should be escorted from the ground in accordance with the Current regulations.

AMEN!

Guest MaloneFM

Yes you're right he did score and yes it was important but it did create a stink which has not left.

When the Gas played Reading they baited the hell out of Cureton. He scored and responded by walking towards them pointed to his BIG wide grin. He was back there in the summer with QPR. They aint forgiven him. Hollowhead was mystified. I wasn't.

Dennis Law was a Man Utd legend and he still saysy to this day that he didn't celebrate because it didnt come off him but a Mn Utd defender and he was knckered. But he still raised his arm.

You don't pre-book your lack of celebration. Beadle didn't when he scored against them for us. And we loved him for it.

It would be nice for the mods to merge all these Roberts topics; it is getting too much now.

I also think it could be detrimental to him as so much discussion about one player might make it look like (to club officials who read this site) there is an issue for the club to address; which there isn't. Just a small minority who shout kak for 90 minutes.

Guest Harchesterx1

I have to say i am ashamed of my Dad in the way he keeps slaging the boy Roberts. He just does not like him because he thinks all he does is run with the ball and give it away or shoot over the bar, but even my Dad could not slag him off for his peformance on Saturday.

As far as i am concerned Roberts is a good player who will always give 100% every game for 90 minutes. On saturday he was in my view Man of the Match but when he went off only a few people got on there feet to clap. Someone behind me even had the nerve to say "about time" though he was shoting at Murray to cross the ball before he even had it ######. Anyway i think the crowd need to get behind Roberts alot more and maybey could make the effort to clap him when he makes someone look stupid by skinning them.

Also someone mentiond the shot he had when he ran from the halfway line and could have crossed it, ok he could have crossed i but if that was any other striker from Henry to Defoe to Aggo or Lita or even jack from the park team or Danny Warren from Astra Zenaca. They would all have shot that is what strikers are like selfish gits. Also if Leroy had hit that shot i bet the LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRROOYYYYY chant would have gone up..... But hey what do i know I'm only 16...

:@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@  :@

example of Roberts hate  :laugh:  :laugh:  :clap:  :D

argh

See this is the problem. people will say that if people don't want roberts playing for their team or that some aspects of his game is poor then it means they hate him! The pro-roberts will always tell the roberts criticisers that they hate him cus he is welsh and the anti-roberts will always tell the pro-roberts that the only like him cus he scored a couple of important goals.

I cant believe so many people can be so wrong on one message board, people shouldnt talk for other people i.e. u only like roberts because....

THis whole roberts thing is a joke. The only way this can be sorted is if u all met up at a game, then all this sarcasm, acusations by people who hide behind their computers will go away.

According to alot of people on this board roberts is citys marmite, u either love him or u hate him, isnt this ridiculous? It isnt black and white, and as Mr Bush stupidly put it 'You are either with us or against us', which is total boll..ks.

Isnt this a discussion board? Maybe someone should make a message board where if u really do love roberts or really do hate roberts then u can go there, but i'd bet u not many people would.

I DO, I just don't appreciate stupid unjustified comments about Peacock.... especially cause he is my Mate!

So er 16 goals in 40 odd games aint bad, and this is while he was trying to "impress to get a new contract". If I was his mate, I think I'd be tellin him, that the fans werent happy with the long gaps between goals, (13 games, I believe one spell, and what 2 in the last 10-as compared to Robbo with what 5?)and no matter how much work you do in a game, as a striker, if you don't score you've failed.

And were I his mate, I might also mention Lee Miller (9 goals) and Robbo (8 goals)- in less than half the appearances of my mate-may just also attract some criticism....

Thats why Leapy gets flak from a lot of us....absolutely no justification at all there........and so far he's not exactly lit the skies up at Hillsborough.

Now he may come right and prove us all wrong-but right now, I'd say we were a little more justified in criticism, wouldnt you?

Archived