IGNORED

Brian Clough

elhombrecito

I added my thoughts on a thread on the 'Football Talk' forum, but I'll add them here too:

I was fortunate enough to be in University in Nottingham at a time that coincided with Brian Clough's time as manager of Nottingham Forest.

I spent several afternoons, when I should have been studying, watching Forest train, with Cloughie on the sidelines.

He was always friendly, approachable and amusing and his character was a tremendous asset to football. He had no airs or graces and wouldn't accept players with egos.

A sad loss indeed.

Oh, and yes, he called me "young man".

For any of the younger foum members who don't know much about him - he was a hell of a centre forward too. Check out his scoring record, if you can find it. Now there was a goalscorer.

Brian Clough was one of the games greatest characters,outspoken (which is why he never got the England job)a motivator who'd get the best out of mediocre players.Tactically a firm 4-4-2 man with which he won the European cup with Forest and wonderfull whenever he was on TV.

Anyone remember when he called the Polish g'keeper Tomzceski "a clown" after he'd played a blinder against England?

Although out of the spotlight for the past few years his passing will be a great loss to his family and to football.

A true legend.

In addition to everything already said, his teams were among the best disciplined you were ever likely to see. No arguing with the ref, just get on with the game.

And he had so many other endearing habits, such as always referring to "Edward Sheringham".

Football has suffered a sad loss today.

A very sad day for football,my favourite manager of all time,rest in peace Cloughie,you will be truly missed

At a time when English football was mired in sterile, defensive mediocrity, Cloughie took a team of mismatched journeymen and keen young players, and produced a team that played a brand of vibrant attacking football that breathed new life into the domestic game. His achievement in winning the European Cup with Forest has to go down as one of the great managerial feats of the last century.

He will be much missed.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg
At a time when English football was mired in sterile, defensive mediocrity, Cloughie took a team of mismatched journeymen and keen young players, and produced a team that played a brand of vibrant attacking football that breathed new life into the domestic game. His achievement in winning the European Cup with Forest has to go down as one of the great managerial feats of the last century.

He will be much missed.

A great quote from Cloughie - "Football is supposed to be played on grass otherwise they'd of given the ball the wings."

a few great cloughie moments:

BC: So young man, what is your name?

TS: Teddy Shringham sir.

BC: What does it say on your birth certificate?

TS: Edward Sheringham sir.

BC: Then I shall call you as your mother intended, Edward!

Interviewer: is it true you are the son of god?

Cloughie: don't be so rediculous, of course i am not, our nigel is....

classic!

RIP.

Guest LeicesterRed

Probably the greatest football manager this country has ever produced.

I remember his days at Derby, with squad of nobody`s really, he won the league and played some superb football. Anyone else remember Hector, Hinton, Gemmill, Durban,O`Hare and the like. He did the same with Forest and made this country respected throughout Europe.

A great man, a great character and a great loss to the world of football.

RIP Brian, you were the best!!

The Forest team that won the championship in the 70's was one off the best teams I have seen.

They beat the City at the Gate 1-3 in one game with the most impressive display of counter-attacking I can remember. It was more like blitzkrieg, Woodcock and Withe were stunning and the whole team knew their jobs inside out.

Great Man, Great manager and great Memories.

Archived