IGNORED

First City Experience

EmersonsKev

"

City V Swindle 85, we HAD to win to go up, Swindle needed a draw, they got it...........nearly got nicked trying to get to me bike before the burb numpties of both teams wrecked it wwith their brick lobbing incidents.

Cant remember quite, but did Big Joe and Chris Kamara have a running battle that game? resulting in Mr K copping a sly whack?"

I think you are referring to the game in May 1987 which almost got us into the first ever play-offs. However, a 1-1 draw (thank you Gordon Owen) was no good for us and Swindon qualified instead. Jordan joined us in early '87 so the game can't have been played in '85.

I remember that Hull game!! Lets hope for similar this Saturday against the tigers.

Dave Smith was a total legend!.

My first game was 1st October 1988 v Swansea City, won 2-0. :wacko:

Smudger was indeed a legend. With Mark Gavin on the right hand side the side had 2 genuine wingers (ableit different types) and with the Turner / Taylor strike force we were a match for anyone.

I never could understand why Mark Gavin left the following season. I was deeply upset at the time, although I suppose we got Wayne Allison in exchange!

28th December 1965 (thanks Citystats) - official opening of the then new floodlights, against Wolves. Citystats says we lost 1-0 - I thhoght it was a draw! I had been given Subbuteo for my Christmas present - they always gave you a red/white & a blue/white team. My Dad asked the bloke in the shop to switch the blue/white ones for a Wolves team to match up with the game he was taking me to see :yawn: - the prat in the shop got it wrong & took out the red/white ones instead..... :wacko::D

Funny I remember my first fottie matches for all the wrong reasons.

My first game when I was around 10 was at the memorial stadium, :wacko: it was a friendly against Southampton and the gas lost about 7-1 I think.

From then I realised that the gas were cr@p and so badgered my uncle to take me to a City game. Can't remember who it was, I have a feeling it was Milwall, we won anyway and so I have been a fan ever since.

By the way after the game my uncle hit a copper on the nose and got arested, which at 10 I thought was well cool.Like I say remember for all the wrong reasons

:D

I think that game was Boxing Day 1980 against Cardiff.  Mabbutt and a Cardiff player (can't remember his name) were sent off for fighting.

But I remember also two golf balls being thrown at the Cardiff player as he was leaving the pitch.  They narrowly missed Mabbutt and were thrown from the Enclosure by the tunnel near where I was standing.

Anyone else remember that?

Thanks for the info. What a match for a 1st timer, Cardiff!! I remember I went with a relative of my best friend who was French. She wouldn't go as she hated football and I didn't speak much French and his English was limited! :wacko: It was his first English football match too. He got freebie tickets from some City players who used to eat at the posh French restraunt where he was a chef. He used to get me loads of autographs too. :D

February 1969; City 2 PNE 1. :D Chucking it down with rain and I was stood on the Open End. :@ My mates explained you have to graduate to the East End, besides that cost more to get in up there as it was covered.

Guide to inflation - a cup of tea cost the same as a programme; 6d (2.5p). Cost to get in; 2/6 (12.5p)or less (can't remember exactly). This may come as a shock to younger posters, but the Bristol Bus Co realised they were meant to offer a public service :wacko: and ran busses from ALL parts of town (including Lockleaze, Eastville & Horfield) direct to AG and they were then waiting to take you back afterwards. Ashley Down - AG 6d each way.

Archived