IGNORED

Wilson

wookey

Further to the recent threads on Wilson.

The question that doesn't seem to have been asked about Wilson's departure is whether he would have gone anyway even if we had beated Brighton.

By that time was Steve L about fed up with him, fearful of our likely performance in Division 1 under him and had Brian Tinnion in the background ready to go?

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Utter nonsense,Steve L only sacked DW because of reading this forum full of posts wanting DW to be sacked....that's the real reason,sad and pathetic but true....

Brian Clough quote "If a chairman gets rid of a manager that he appointed then he should go too."

Utter nonsense,Steve L only sacked DW because of reading this forum full of posts wanting DW to be sacked....that's the real reason,sad and pathetic but true....

Brian Clough quote "If a chairman gets rid of a manager that he appointed then he should go too."

You are joking, right?

Because fan opionion on here carries so much weight doesn't it? That's why the East End is back as the traditional home end again, I suppose. :ph34r:

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Why do you think we made three major deadline day signings in March(only for two of them to not even play),fan pressure....and we all know Steve L reads this board and takes note

I disagree with the quote, but, that aside, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Perhaps you'd care to expand.

Guest mnporter2001

If we here on the forum have so much say in the club i would like to put forward these demands :ph34r:

1/ half price tickets

2/ free beer in the red & white

3/ topless female stewards (sorry girls its a bloke thing)

I cant see me getting any of these things and why because its all nonsense we didnt force anyones hand in the departure of D.W it was just time to go

bcfc 3 tranmere 2

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

I think the opening two words of your post sums the rest of it up to be perfectly honest.

If a chairman carries out things posted on a clubs message board, then he obviously hasn't got a clue. You do what is in the best interests of the club, whether or not the fans agree to it.

Bloody Reading supporters.

Further to the recent threads on Wilson.

The question that doesn't seem to have been asked about Wilson's departure is whether he would have gone anyway even if we had beated Brighton.

By that time was Steve L about fed up with him, fearful of our likely performance in Division 1 under him and had Brian Tinnion in the background ready to go?

The Chairman laid out exactly what happened at the time.

After the B******* result at C*****, he was ready to stick by Danny - despite Mount Everest-sized reservations from some fans, myself included. Danny then b*ggered off on holiday the next day, heroically leaving SteveL to deal with the aftermath and the reorganisation necessary to cope with failure to win promotion. However, when they spoke on the phone Danny was unhappy with some of the off-the-field cutbacks which had to be made in his absence as a result of him not getting us promotion and it became clear that if he was going to argue about that, he was hardly going to be happy about other squad changes etc that were needed to face reality. In light of that, there was only one way that the club could swiftly make the changes needed, and that was without Mr Wilson's services.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a blessing in disguise, otherwise he'd still be in charge. Regardless of whether we get promotion or not this season under Tins - and I remain quietly confident - a change was needed. If Danny couldn't get us promotion last year, in the weakest division 2 I've ever known, then the chances of him doing it this year were lower.

On reflection, I'm still happy that Tins is in charge. We may have had an appalling start but he's found his feet and we're now on the up. The squad has been revitalized and I fancy our chances now.

As for SteveL sacking DW because of us on the forum, I don't think we should flatter ourselves so much. Fan power is great but the last thing you want is a chairman or a manager that doesn't know his own mind. And something tells me Steve L wouldn't have got where he is today if he didn't know his own mind!

RedTop - You're referring to Steve L sacking Brian Jones (a good friend of Wilson's) without consulting DW?

Unsuprisingly Wilson didn't like this and him and Steve L locked horns on the phone. Then Steve L called an emergency board meeting and decided to sack DW and appoint Tinnion within 10 hours.

Blessing in disguise or not I feel that the actions of our chairman still needs to explained further.

I'm just relaying events exactly how they were reported in the press and of what Steve L said at the time.

and it became clear that if he was going to argue about that, he was hardly going to be happy about other squad changes etc that were needed to face reality. In light of that, there was only one way that the club could swiftly make the changes needed, and that was without Mr Wilson's services.

Squad changes that were needed to face reality?

Have i blinked and missed something here. I may very well be forgetting/over-looking some people but as far as my memory serves me the only players to have left the club since DW was in charge are Christian Roberts: which was obviously a decision based on his contract expiring and thus if DW had wanted to retain him we may very well have done, and Louis Carey who went to Coventry on a free. Obviously Caskey and Rougier departed but they, effectively, weren't even 'on the books' anyway. Aaron and Marvin Brown have also departed the club on a free.

Then you consider that we have bought in Heffernan for a substantial fee, Brooker for a substantial fee, Bradley Orr (i presume he was on reserve/youth team wages at Newcastle), Dining may very well become a permenant signing with which comes another high earner, and apparently we are still in the hunt for a new centre back.

The changes we have seen at the club don't really have a 'we failed to gain promotion, reality check' feel to them!

As far as I'm concerned, it was a blessing in disguise, otherwise he'd still be in charge. Regardless of whether we get promotion or not this season under Tins - and I remain quietly confident - a change was needed. If Danny couldn't get us promotion last year, in the weakest division 2 I've ever known, then the chances of him doing it this year were lower.

I too am quietly confident regarding this season. Tins seems to have decided on his best 11 and abandoned the un-profitable 4-3-3, tomorrows game will be a big indication on where we are right now.

However i couldnt disagree more about the standard of last years division 2. This years overall standard is ridiculously poor, last years league was bad but the standard this year is almost laughable.

We may have had an appalling start but he's found his feet and we're now on the up. The squad has been revitalized and I fancy our chances now.

Agree.

As for SteveL sacking DW because of us on the forum, I don't think we should flatter ourselves so much. Fan power is great but the last thing you want is a chairman or a manager that doesn't know his own mind. And something tells me Steve L wouldn't have got where he is today if he didn't know his own mind!

Agree 100%. The concept that the chairman sacked the manager because of fan opinion on this forum is ridiculous. It MAY have {slightly} influenced him but it would have been an absoloute background issue that merely added to the decision he came to.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Wilson would have stayed if he had got us promoted.

End of my argument, I can't really expand that any further.

Promotion under Wilson was stopped by one piece of wood.....thats all. One home draw had Miller hitting the woodwork twice denying us the 2 extra win points. That would have put us one point above Brighton and automatic promotion. Wood can jump out and get you sometimes.

Promotion under Wilson was stopped by one piece of wood.....thats all. One home draw had Miller hitting the woodwork twice denying us the 2 extra win points. That would have put us one point above Brighton and automatic promotion. Wood can jump out and get you sometimes.

People really are all too quick to forget this fact.

Granted we werent promoted - end of story. However we were 1 point off of it. The chance i remember most vividly was the sitter Miller missed away at Swindon, had that gone in then we probably would still have DW at the helm in our first division adventure.

Obviously there are more, dropped points at home to Wycombe and Stockport i believe, but we missed out on promotion by 1 point last year. No concilation admitidly but to deem missing out on promotion by a point a failure, deemed worthy of the managers head, when we could have easily gone up by 2 is harsh in my opinion.

(DW could have been sacked regardless of course, but id guess it was unlikely.)

I would have given DW one more year, Steve L didnt - thats the past. Thankfully after early season jitters we appear to be on the right track again under our new manager.

Granted we werent promoted - end of story. However we were 1 point off of it. The chance i remember most vividly was the sitter Miller missed away at Swindon, had that gone in then we probably would still have DW at the helm in our first division adventure.

Obviously there are more, dropped points at home to Wycombe and Stockport i believe, but we missed out on promotion by 1 point last year. No concilation admitidly but to deem missing out on promotion by a point a failure when we could have easily gone up by 2 is harsh in mu opinion.

I would have given DW one more year, Steve L didnt and now after early jitters we appear to be on the right track again under our new manager.

Forget what fact?

Do you mean that when push came to shove, once again we weren't good enough under Wilson (mis)management?

People are all to quick to forget the fact that if, and fair enough in the instances of Wycombe, Stocport etc at home you can lay blame on the manager for incorrect tactics, we had converted one more chance. If Miller had found the net instead of hitting the woodwork in the last minute of Swindon away. We would all now probably be 'peace and love' under DW's stewardship.

Without being able to remember the match stats - id be a pretty sad git if i could to be fair(!), i imagine we had the majority of the play against the above teams and the players failed to convert the chances: players not executing on the field is not the fault of the manger: in regards to finishing chances.

Guest Oxford Red

I don't see why SL would sack a manager that had just got us promoted. It wouldn't make any sense, as Wilson had been given the target of getting us promoted - why sack him if he had delivered what was asked of him?

To do it at the fourth attempt wouldn't have been particularly spectacular, but Wilson was signed to quite a long-term contract (can't remember exactly how long). I'm sure that fact alone is an indication of SL's faith in Wilson at the time and in anticipation of success last season.

Shame it all went wrong, but Wilson paid the price for his bad judgement in tactics and team selection.

Now let's look FORWARD, not BACK!

Frankly, I find all this excuse making for our long gone, ex-manager bewildering.

But seeing as you obviously love using hypotheticals. How about this for an if? What if SL had sacked him after the Cardiff semi final defeat in 2003? LDV win or not I thought he should have gone then. We'd certainly be benefiting from it now, if he had.

Dress it up all you like. But he was brought in to get promotion. And after 4 years he didn't. End of.

Although i don't particularly wish to continue a conversation regarding our "long gone, ex manager", i have to say i disagree with what you say.

Yes he was brought in to get us promoted but so has every other manager for god knows how many years, the only exception being Benny Lennartson who was brought in an attempt to keep us up. So the comment that he was 'brought in to get us promoted' doesnt really hold any ground in my eyes.

He inherited the squad left after the shambolic Pulis affair and, in regards to league positions we improoved every year under him. There are of course no hiding from the facts, as you say he did not get us promoted.

But seeing as you obviously love using hypotheticals . . . . . . . . We'd certainly be benefiting from it now, if he had.

Thats a very assured comment, seeing as it is a hypothetical one and all :ph34r:

Thats a very assured comment, seeing as it is a hypothetical one and all  :whistle:

Ahhh the footballing side of it yes - hypothetical, what about the financial side?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I have the dates right, but instead of sacking him in 2003 didn't we extend his contract? A contract that has since cost us a pretty penny to pay off in compensation?

Actually thinking about the footballing side, the new man (perhaps Tinman) worst case scenario would be a year longer in the job. Plus not forgetting Tinman may just do the business this season, it could have been 12 months ago.

:ph34r:

Fair point in regards to paying off his contract, however that is as much a fault of the chairman and board as it is DW's.

Not sure how much compensation he received, seem to remember it was significantly less than i thought it would be though. (?)

Obviously there are more, dropped points at home to Wycombe and Stockport i believe, but we missed out on promotion by 1 point last year. No concilation admitidly but to deem missing out on promotion by a point a failure, deemed worthy of the managers head, when we could have easily gone up by 2 is harsh in my opinion.

(DW could have been sacked regardless of course, but id guess it was unlikely.)

I would have given DW one more year, Steve L didnt - thats the past.

Well put that man.

However, in certain circles, it was a well known fact that Wilson would be gone prior to the start of this season whether we gained promotion or not. This fact was divulged to myself, Richie B, NATCHER, and Robbored in the supporters club either after the last regulation home game against Blackpool, or the play off return with Hartlepool. If not mistaken, he/she (no giveaways) was a guest of the chairman that day.

As regards to the cut backs that were to follow !!!! I can only assume that, Mr Lansdown, after a disastrous start to the season, felt obliged to throw money at his new regime, rather than admit to his mistake in appointing the current mangement team.

Well put that man.

However, in certain circles, it was a well known fact that Wilson would be gone prior to the start of this season whether we gained promotion or not. This fact was divulged to myself, Richie B, NATCHER, and Robbored in the supporters club either after the last regulation home game against Blackpool, or the play off return with Hartlepool. If not mistaken, he/she (no giveaways) was a guest of the chairman that day.

As regards to the cut backs that were to follow !!!! I can only assume that, Mr Lansdown, after a disastrous start to the season, felt obliged to throw money at his new regime, rather than admit to his mistake in appointing the current mangement team.

I was a guest of the chairman's at the Blackpool game, as a result of winning the Prediction League.

As anyone in that position is to be totally believed, can I just say that Danny Wilson was sacked for prancing around the Ashton Gate car park at night, dressed only in women's underwear and stilettos, whilst singing "She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain" in a falsetto voice.

Obviously the decision was delayed so as not to cause disruption before our play-off participation.

It's all true. I was a guest of the chairman's and I'm telling you, so it must be.

Have i blinked and missed something here. I may very well be forgetting/over-looking some people but as far as my memory serves me the only players to have left the club since DW was in charge are Christian Roberts: which was obviously a decision based on his contract expiring and thus if DW had wanted to retain him we may very well have done, and Louis Carey who went to Coventry on a free. Obviously Caskey and Rougier departed but they, effectively, weren't even 'on the books' anyway. Aaron and Marvin Brown have also departed the club on a free.

What about Wilson's superhero-in-chief, Mr Peacock? (how quickly they forget, wish I knew how)

The chance i remember most vividly was the sitter Miller missed away at Swindon, had that gone in then we probably would still have DW at the helm in our first division adventure.

I still have nightmares about the Keystone Kops defending at Luton and the two free headers Limpy Cockup fluffed against Brighton at AG - both those games were after the Swindon match.

Archived