IGNORED

Last Night And The Doc

Antman

Who else saw the Doc puking up on the edge of the Brentford box?

was that after he caught one in the goolies earlier? I saw him go to the dug out and get a drink, then stood hurling it all up! he kept going though!!What a player!

Anyhow, I haven't trawled through all the posts about last night, but wanted to say that before anyone starts slagging the players, we should look at how Brentford nearly did a number on us! they knew exactly how to stop us, and it very nearly worked. Something that Tinman needs to consider in the replay.

I think we need the Heff back, or Millar because Gillespie doesn't provide enough from the bench yet. I was also worried by how long it took to see that their system of flooding the MF and closing everyone down was affecting us.

This is where Goodfellow might provide an alternative?

we were under pressure right across the field and got drawn into their 'lump it up' tactic. when we should be cool enough to see that the passing game would be better for us. (there were periods when we did get it on the floor and we looked so much better for it.)

Yes, we missed Dinning, but we can't be in that position again, where we rely on one player to make it happen.

and I'd be suprised but pleased, if we do sign him on. (I think it'll mean someone going though')

He got the winner, but I'd observe that Lita failed to make the space to allow the ball to be played into him. He was far too close to his marker for most of the game and you could see that with them chasing everything and everyone, the MF players didn't have the luxury of waiting to play the right pass. I thought Brooker played well again, and showed some amazing pace! which was great to see.

The two Brentford CB's were mopping up everything in the air, yet we continued to punt it up to the front boys.

I would also argue that if a team comes and blocks us out on the flanks like Brentford did, we need to start running it through the middle (easier said than done I know!) but we still played it square too often, when there was loads of space in front of our man. In these situations Wilkshire could move more central and do some attacking runs (someone tell him that Tuesday nights goal was good, but don't try it everytime you get the ball!!!)

and finally Phillips.

What can I say? the stops he made last night were simply magnificent. the bloke stooping at the far post must have thought 'What the #####??' when Phillips stopped his header. and although called for offside, the stop from Burton with his feet was unbelievable. Getting booked for arguing about that challange was daft, but the Ref was another crackerjack so you'll never win the discussion. (when did we see both keepers booked in a game?)

Anyhow, we'll need to be beefier for the re match, but lets hope Tins has the brains to know how to deal with them.

and my feet were freezing!!!

:wub:

Good post.

I too thought Mad dog Allen got his tactics just right.They were often 5 across midfield which encouraged the likes of Coles,Butler and Hill to hoof the ball over the midfield in an effort to cut them out.Unfortunately the ball more often than not came straight back partly because the City midfield were often too slow to get up and the gap between the strikers and support was too big.Nevertheless City did have several half chances in the second half that might have gone in on another day.They even hit the bar and had a Lita effort cleared off the line.

As for the Brentford goal although it was sweetly struck free-kick I thought Phillips was badly positioned and had he got that right he would have saved it.That said he redeemed himself later.

It'll be a different Brentford at Griffin Park.They'll definately be playing more than one up front and the onus will be on them to force the game.

I reckon it might go into extra time and maybe penalties.

according to Tins he throws up every half time...just that occasionally he does it on the pitch as well.

Fitness? hard work? nerves? or just one of those things? seen Zidane do it, my brother used to do it all the time too and today my uni football teams hero of the hour young Nick Green did it after we scored our 6th to win 6-5...having been 5-2 down! :wub:

Archived