IGNORED

How Long Before A Big Club Comes In For Phillips

just like watching brazil

how long will it be before a big club comes in for steve phillips,so far this season he has been our best player in my view if he was in the premiership he'd be in the england squad,once again today he made a fantastic double save,also tommy doherty is the best midfielder in our league playing a blinder for us today,also showing fantastic skill on the ball,city really needs to go up this year if we are to keep these players.

Guest bristolbred
Phillips today made the best save I think I've ever seen.

I thought Steve played a blinder today, and wasn't at fault for their consolation goal, :D

Think that scouts from other clubs will soon be watching us more closely now, and it won't be just for Leroy, :)

Be suprised if Steve is still at City come May, but maybe IF we are going up, he'll stay for top flight football with us!!, :city:

Ah it wouldn't be the BCFC Forum without a players future departure being discussed... Lita didn't score so step forward Steve Phillips! (Who was victim of some slating on this website for so long!)

Gor Blimey Brooker scored today... When do you think someone will come in and bid for him!?!?!?!

*DISCLAIMER*

I'm only kidding!

Guest bristolbred
Steve Phillips! (Who was victim of some slating on this website for so long!)

Not from my lips!!, :@

My daughter absolutely adores safe hands Steve!!, :)

So i would never say a bad word against him!!, :city:

Good grief!

Phillips pulls off a couple of impressive saves and suddenly he's the envy of "other clubs".

The truth is that Phillips is an average Division 1 'keeper.All goalies pull off occaisional blinding saves and Phillips is no exception.

However,Phillips has too many flaws in his game to attract much higher club interest.His decision making is suspect,he can't handle crosses with any certaincy,his domination of the box is laughable and he's prone to too many errors.

Phillips will probably spend all his career in lower divisions,unless he gets promoted with City.

Phillips has his faults, true. 

But he's still by far the best shot-stopper in this division.

And his saves more than make up for his lack of command in the area.

He's a vital part of our team and would be very difficult to replace.

My point is that there is far more to being a good goalkeeper than shot stopping and Phillips lacks to many basic qualities to make it as a top keeper at the moment.

That said,he is the best at City and I'd agree that he's a vital part of the team but thats largely because he has no competition for his place.

My point is that there is far more to being a good goalkeeper than shot stopping and Phillips lacks to many basic qualities to make it as a top keeper at the moment.

That said,he is the best at City and I'd agree that he's a vital part of the team but thats largely because he has no competition for his place.

I think my point (or at least one of them) was that we'd struggle to find a better keeper to give him that competition.

• Admin
Good grief!

The truth is that Phillips is an average Division 1 'keeper.All goalies pull off occaisional blinding saves and Phillips is no exception.

How often does this need confirming, all of Citys players have some fault or lack of the complete skill (for want of better description), their game will occasionally look like Arsenal or Man U, but on many other times resemble Forest Green Rovers.

Every single member of the squad is in div 3 [old term] by virtue of the fact that no one in the Premiership wants them.

Most of the players are in this division because they arent good enough to go higher.

But thats clearly not true of all of them.

You're forgetting the players who DO make it to the premiership. Earnshaw, Hayles and Carroll for instance. (I'm sure there are better examples, theyve all done reasonably well) Not everyone is doomed to remain in this division.

I don't think Phillips is another Robinson, Green or Kirkland, but he's good enough to attract interest from clubs higher up the pecking order (perhaps from the Championship) And the original poster was right - other clubs WILL take notice if he performs like he did today.

• Admin
Most of the players are in this division because they arent good enough to go higher.

But thats clearly not true of all of them.

You're forgetting the players who DO make it to the premiership.  Earnshaw, Hayles and Carroll for instance.  (I'm sure there are better examples, theyve all done reasonably well)  Not everyone is doomed to remain in this division.

I don't think Phillips is another Robinson, Green or Kirkland, but he's good enough to attract interest from clubs higher up the pecking order (perhaps from the Championship)  And the original poster was right - other clubs WILL take notice if he performs like he did today.

Lua Lua & Koumas to name but two.....

I'm sorry but this post is ridiculous.

Phillips is a very good shot stopper but his command of the area and confidence when dealing with crosses is poor.

Yes he is a good goalkeeper but the weaknesses in his game ensure that, currently, he will never go beyond a mid-table 'championship' club.

He pulled off a few terrific saves vs Brentford (FA Cup at home) however until he learns how to command his area and deal with crosses (one of the major problems we had at the start of the season was goals from set pieces, a fault that must ensure the examining of Phillips technique/decision making) he will always be a championship goalkeeper.

Apologies to those of shattered dreams but to suggest he is a 'top notch' goalkeeper, one that should be plying his trade in the premiership, one that will be attracting the attention of higher clubs is, to be frank, ridiculous.

Guest bristolbred
Phillips is a very good shot stopper but his command of the area and confidence when dealing with crosses is poor.

All he needs is a decent gool keeping coach, and he'll learn all about his flaws, but at the moment, a decent goo keeping coach is something we can't afford!!, :)

Well put it this way, I think we're lucky to have held onto him for so long. Fortunately after checking on the official site I noticed his contract doesn't expire until June 2007. However that probably won't make much difference , but would the club be stupid enough to sell him if interest was shown? Obviously if we get promoted (touch wood) he would have no problems establishing himself in the championship at a higher level - you all saw the way he played against Everton.

Phillips for England!!!

However,Phillips has too many flaws in his game to attract much higher club interest.His decision making is suspect,he can't handle crosses with any certaincy,his domination of the box is laughable and he's prone to too many errors.

Whereas David James...

I agree that he is never going to be a top keeper because he does not seem to be overcoming his obvious faults.

I think Phillips is improving and will one day will at least play in the championship (whether it be with us or someone else). When he first broke into the team, his kicking was appalling, but after a lot of hard work on the training ground, I no longer poo myself whenever the ball gets passed back to him.

And I believe that under the coaching of Mike Stowell, Phillip's game is going from strength to strength. I think you can see that his commanding of the area is definitely improving and in goalkeeping terms he is still young.

how long will it be before a big club comes in for steve phillips,so far this season he has been our best player in my view if he was in the premiership he'd be in the england squad,once again today he made a fantastic double save,also tommy doherty is the best midfielder in our league playing a blinder for us today,also showing fantastic skill on the ball,city really needs to go up this year if we are to keep these players.

Phillips get's better every game and is a superb shot stopper but I don't think he will get too much attraction from big clubs. This isn't because he is rubbish but because there are so many foreign Keepers not just in the premiership but the championship and even our division now. It has actually got to the point where if you had to list the top 20 English goalkeepers, Phillips could well be sneaking in.

He still makes me nervous whenever he kicks the ball but is a great keeper at this level, and will continue to be when (not when :P ) we move into the championship.

I cant beleive some of the people on this forum!! Phillips has kept us in loads of games this season , and last season , and the season before that. He is improving and has proven what a quality keeper he is with fantastic saves consistently this season. I will point out the everton game when he had an absoloute stormer , you can say thats a one off but he has performed miracle saves ALL season. He makes the odd mistake but all keepers do , even smeichel made some howlers. Phillips is quite easily as good as a lot of keepers in the top flight , i'd rather have him than dudek.

I find it absolutely fascinating how people write off Steve Phillips as another "run of the mill" average 'keeper.

There quite simply aren't any better goalkeepers in this division. His mistakes this season have been few and far between and how amny games has he kept us in? I've lost count.

Also FOR YOUR INFORMATION Robbored et al, I heard last season from the horse's mouth so to speak that infact THREE clubs made enquiries about signing Steve. One Premiership club (headed by one of the best English managers in the past decade) and two Championship clubs.

If anything Steve is UNDER-rated, and long may it continue becuase at this level there is no better.

he's prone to too many errors.

You'd think so, but when was the last time he dropped a shot? Let a shot get out his grasp? Or even drop an easy cross?

You see Russell Hoult doing it against Arsenal, you see David James doing it every other week, yet how often do we see Steve Phillips doing it? To his credit, not very often at all.

Baring in mind he's still only 26, (and that keepers don't peak until the age of around 30) I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest that in 2 seasons time he would've gained the experience and decision-making ability to play at the highest level, domestically.

He's better than your average 1st Division keeper, in my opinion.

There quite simply aren't any better goalkeepers in this division.

That may very well be true but that doesnt effect his potential to suceed at a higher level.

He is a very good shot stopper, I'm not for one minute suggesting anything other. Shot stoppers alone he probably could play at a higher level. However he looked VERY shaky at the start of the season, like a rabbit in headlights if the ball came anywhere near his area.

The Swindon game is one that springs instantly to mind, both of their goals from set plays, one a corner which landed on the penalty spot, the other a free kick which was met with a header inside the six yard box.

He is a good keeper and does indeed keep City in many games, however the mistakes he makes can often cause us games, and it is this reason that i think the talk of Premiership or even England are extremely premature.

NB. Please don't reply saying 'what about people like David James?';

How David James kept Paul Robinson, and i appreciate he had a bad game vs Arsenal the other week, out of the England number 1 jersey for so long is beyond me!

Guest City positive

Cant command his box.Cant kick.Cant catch.Cant throw.Cant even organise his defence.Perhaps some of you Phillips critcs should start telling people like Mike Gibson,Mike Stowell(who played about 500 games for Wolves and is the current city keeper coach) and all of the rest of the city management over the last four or five years about these faults because obviosly they havent seen them and they need to be told .Or is it that you, perhaps having probably watched but never played the game at any level.don't really know what you are talking about

A big clubs already got him :)

Or is it that you, perhaps having probably watched but never played the game at any level.don't really know what you are talking about

Ha ha classic, what a great comment by a blatently intelligent individual!

Well thats the end of the forum then, the end of all discussion about everything affiliated with BCFC and every football club. Fans will now cease to have opinions as the only people who can comment are those that have played the game 'at any level'. The fact that virtually all members of the forum would have played football 'at some level' is a fact i won't go into!

Obvious sarcasm but what kind of a ridiculous comment is it that the city coaching staff have not seen his faults?

I assume that he is not faultless (being someone who has never played, never watched or never been introduced to the concept of football this is of course a wild unfounded assumption), so i would guess that the coaching staff have seen faults in his game and are working to correct them.

If all the things you list as 'cants' are infact things he can do, which i believe is what is implied (i havent participated in the study of the human pschye, or the use of language to the extent that i am sure would satisfy you), then Phillips should be swanning off to Real Madrid in the next transfer window.

You quite clearly rate Phillips, as do i believe it or not(!), why not just add to the discussion by giving your opinion. Instead of trying to be a smart arse and, ironically, being the one who "don't really know what you are talking about."

• Admin
Ha ha classic, what a great comment by a blatently intelligent individual!

Well thats the end of the forum then, the end of all discussion about everything affiliated with BCFC and every football club. Fans will now cease to have opinions as the only people who can comment are those that have played the game 'at any level'. The fact that virtually all members of the forum would have played football 'at some level' is a fact i won't go into!

Obvious sarcasm but what kind of a ridiculous comment is it that the city coaching staff have not seen his faults?

I assume that he is not faultless (being someone who has never played, never watched or never been introduced to the concept of football this is of course a wild unfounded assumption), so i would guess that the coaching staff have seen faults in his game and are working to correct them.

If all the things you list as 'cants' are infact things he can do, which i believe is what is implied (i havent participated in the study of the human pschye, or the use of language to the extent that i am sure would satisfy you), then Phillips should be swanning off to Real Madrid in the next transfer window.

You quite clearly rate Phillips, as do i believe it or not(!), why not just add to the discussion by giving your opinion. Instead of trying to be a smart arse and, ironically, being the one who "don't really know what you are talking about."

Why hold back Jimmy? :)

Archived