IGNORED

Andy Cole V Leroy Lita.

mrevans

Just a nostalgic thought!

I was just thinking back about 12 or so years ago when a certain young 20 year old striker played for us. I can remember the buzz going round the ground every time he got the ball and he invariably did something fantastic.

I can remember thinking that we were bloody lucky to have him but I always felt that he would move on to bigger and better things.

Now I for one am a big Leroy fan. He's young, already got a stack of goals, and I reckon his goal per game ratio might be better than Cole's (although I wait to be corrected by those of a stato-type nature). And yet, he doesn't seem to generate quite that same feeling (with me anyway).

Is Leroy going to have the same sort of impact as Cole, or do people think he might struggle at a higher level?

Oh, by the way, here's a little joke to brighten up your Friday.

A bloke goes into an Indian takeaway.

"Can I have a Chicken Tarka, please?

"A what?" came the reply from the puzzled owner.

" A Chicken Tarka!" repeated the bloke.

"Precisely, what is a Chicken Tarka?" asked the owner.

"It's like a Chicken Tikka only a little otter". (Sorry!!!)

Slight difference : -

Cole could play football

Lita can't

having said that, I loathed Cole because he was only interested in himself in that if we lost 3-1 and Cole scored he would be happy as Larry and s-d the City which has been compounded since by his insistence he went from Arsenal to Newcastle - City never get a mention!

The day he left I turned to my friend and said I hope he breaks both his legs - thanks for listening Razor :D

Andy Cole was a sensation when he first came to Ashton Gate.The crowd stood up every time he got the ball and he was exicting to watch.He oozed class and it was no suprise that he went onto much greater things.What was a suprise was that there was no sell-on clause after he left the club which meant that City missed out on a handsome pay-out after Cole left Newcastle for Man Utd for millions.

Lita will have a good career if he turns out to be half the player Cole was.Theres no comparison between the two.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

I would say Andy Cole looked better for us than he did at Manchester United (not taking into account he was playing in a league below Man U when he was playing for us) which is saying something,he looked awesome and so sharp for us,he was incredible,he went for £1.75million in March 1993 which was ripping us off bigtime....he was IMMEDIATELY awesome at Newcastle after moving from us to there,and was top scorer in the Premiership in his first season at Newcastle....

There's abit of a difference in terms of status between Andy Cole and Leroy Lita....

Andy Cole cost £500,000 in 1992 from Arsenal(only a prime Ian Wright kept him out of the side) and was already England U21's star player when he came to us....we were near the top of the second tier at the time(Endsleigh League Division One)....he went straight into our first-team after looking incredible in training....

Leroy Lita was released from Chelsea and spent three seasons in our reserves while we've been playing in the third tier(Nationwide League Division Two)....

In terms of ability,unfortunately Lita isn't much of a patch on what Cole was like for us even though we're playing in a division below now....

That's not taking anything away from Lita,it's just that Cole was awesome for us,he was only here 3/4's of a season but he made a big impression with his sharp turning around the box and good touches....I'm sure Cole is one of Lita's idols....

There is no comparison - Cole is ten times the player that Lita is. I'm not trying to take anything away from Leroy, because he has been fantastic for us so far this season. He is not a great footballer - great goalscorer, but an average footballer. Having said that though, for somebody of his size he gets up in the air quite well. You also have a striker in your team to score goals, and you can't fault him on that part of his game.

I still think he is vastly over-rated by some though :D

hey taz i agree with u he is not as good as cole, (at the moment) and he gets in the air very well but i think in the short term and leading scorer of this division i think he could go on 2 better things then being stuck in div 1 i hope 2 think he will get better as a player if selfish at times, and we will need 2 get a good sum of money 4 him,

if this don't make sence its cos I'm a bit drunk (theres a change)

see u next home game mate

There is no comparison - Cole is ten times the player that Lita is. I'm not trying to take anything away from Leroy, because he has been fantastic for us so far this season. He is not a great footballer - great goalscorer, but an average footballer. Having said that though, for somebody of his size he gets up in the air quite well. You also have a striker in your team to score goals, and you can't fault him on that part of his game.

I still think he is vastly over-rated by some though  :D

Guest Tactical Genius
How many times in the past four years have we said, "If only we had someone in the middle who can put some of our numorous chances away"

Now we've got someone, don't sell him for god's sake!!

:@

It would be a true measure of the present board's ambition if he were to be sold. Are they here for the good of the club, or are they here for the interest repayments on their loans. You might even see a critical word said about them on here instead of all the sycophantic fawning that usually follows the words "Steve" and "Lansdown".

Guest Tactical Genius
I would say Andy Cole looked better for us than he did at Manchester United (not taking into account he was playing in a league below Man U when he was playing for us) which is saying something,he looked awesome and so sharp for us,he was incredible,he went for £1.75million in March 1993 which was ripping us off bigtime....he was IMMEDIATELY awesome at Newcastle after moving from us to there,and was top scorer in the Premiership in his first season at Newcastle....

There's abit of a difference in terms of status between Andy Cole and Leroy Lita....

Andy Cole cost £500,000 in 1992 from Arsenal(only a prime Ian Wright kept him out of the side) and was already England U21's star player when he came to us....we were near the top of the second tier at the time(Endsleigh League Division One)....he went straight into our first-team after looking incredible in training....

Leroy Lita was released from Chelsea and spent three seasons in our reserves while we've been playing in the third tier(Nationwide League Division Two)....

In terms of ability,unfortunately Lita isn't much of a patch on what Cole was like for us even though we're playing in a division below now....

That's not taking anything away from Lita,it's just that Cole was awesome for us,he was only here 3/4's of a season but he made a big impression with his sharp turning around the box and good touches....I'm sure Cole is one of Lita's idols....

I see what you've done there TCLP, but for those who don't quite understand your satirical revisionist brand of history. >That means you Edson<

The reason Arsenal sold Cole had nothing to do with Ian Wright, but because george Graham was under the impression that Kevin Campbell was a better prospect than Cole. No some, TG would be one, would argue that decision alone should have ended his managerial career in this country.

We were not near the top of the second tier. The arrivals of Cole and Rosenior saved us from relegation.

What i remember most about Andy was he needed 5 chances to score one, and listening to some Fulham fans things have not changed. He was moody, maybe because he lived in London all the time he was with us. I remember from the trip with the players to Pisa he was very quite. But on the pitch he was one of our greatest forwards/goalscorers. Lero is a little way off Andy at this point in time. But who knows in the furture he could be even greater, and if he could score from the spot regually the skys the limit.

... compounded since by his insistence he went from Arsenal to Newcastle - City never get a mention!

Not quite true - his move to City was mentioned in his "autobiography" with Tony Fawthrop getting all the credit (except I think they spelt his name wrong!)

The fairest comparisson of Lita and Cole could come next season when Leroy will have reached the same age as Cole was when he was with us and we'll (hopefully) be back at the same level.

How many times in the past four years have we said, "If only we had someone in the middle who can put some of our numorous chances away"

Now we've got someone, don't sell him for god's sake!!

... now we've got someone the team needs to get the ball to him in scoring positions!

We all know he's not shot-shy and yet he's only recorded five attempts on goal in the last four matches (three of those were headers) ... to me that begs questions about the awareness and passing/crossing abilities of those around him.

His 11 league goals have come from just 49 attempts (which is quality) so let's hope we can start playing him in a bit more, starting this afternoon.

We were not near the top of the second tier. The arrivals of Cole and Rosenior saved us from relegation.

Andy Cole joined us in the summer of 92 so he could he of saved us from relegation??? We finished 9th in the second tier the season before Andy Cole came(amazingly Rovers finished 13th in the second tier that season)....hardly relegation form eh,we were in the play-off zone for much of that season....

Yeah, other becoming (at the time) ManU's all-time top scorer in Europe, and winning the Champions League in '99, he was pretty useless really :D  :city:

Andy Cole looked much better for Newcastle than he did for Man U,and he looked awesome for us....

Guest Tactical Genius
Andy Cole joined us in the summer of 92 so he could he of saved us from relegation??? We finished 9th in the second tier the season before Andy Cole came(amazingly Rovers finished 13th in the second tier that season)....hardly relegation form eh,we were in the play-off zone for much of that season....

Cole joined us, initially on loan, in March 92. At the time we were 23rd, 8 goals from him and 5 from Rosenior in the last 12 games of that season lifted us to 17th.

The reason Arsenal sold Cole had nothing to do with Ian Wright, but because george Graham was under the impression that Kevin Campbell was a better prospect than Cole. No some, TG would be one, would argue that decision alone should have ended his managerial career in this country.

There I was thinking it was cos he was caught stealing from his team mates clothes in the dressing room.

Another unfounded rumour about Andy Cole was that he enjoyed the company of a few ladies of the night during his stay at the Avon Gorge Hotel.

Of course these are both alledgedly but I do remember both rumours going around at the time he was here and for quite a long time afterwards.

Cole joined us, initially on loan, in March 92. At the time we were 23rd, 8 goals from him and 5 from Rosenior in the last 12 games of that season lifted us to 17th.

Oops,I got muddled up with 90-91 and 91-92 :D

Confirm to everybody that we finished 9th in the second tier in 91 just so I don't look like an idiot now :city:

We finished 9th in the second tier the season before Andy Cole came(amazingly Rovers finished 13th in the second tier that season)

That's true atleast :D

Guest Tactical Genius
Another unfounded rumour about Andy Cole was that he enjoyed the company of a few ladies of the night during his stay at the Avon Gorge Hotel.

It was unfounded, he enjoyed the company of a few of their receptionists though.

Archived