IGNORED

Banned From Ashton Gate

Galley is our king

Dolmonred asked a question on the ask steve/colin section. It seems his Dad wrote a letter (seemingly of complaint), to BCFC. As the letter was full of swearing.....His Dad has been banned from attending matches.

Do you think that is right?

It could be said to be right as the letter was obviously nasty and contained (apparently) vailed threats.....it could also be argued that anyone that passionate about our football club should be bought in and added to the coaching staff !!!! bloody hell they need something !!!

Ian Holloway I think, got a right roasting from a taxi driver?...got him into the office and tried to explain things to him.....might this have been better?

I think a ban is too harsh, after all we want to encourage supporters, not turn them away.

Over to you....

Guest bristolbred

I'm being Moderated, don't know why, as the Mod's don't answer my pm's!!, but as i was off work for 8 weeks in the summer, my post count was high, and this got someones back up, as they took 1,000 off of my total, yet people who reply with just one word or a smiley are left alone!!!, :D

Any supporter, especially long standing are allowed to vent their anger in such ways, like writing on the forum, chanting from the terraces, going to the AGM, or even by writing direct to the club!!, (i wouldn't bother, my daughter wrote to Mickey Bell last season, and didn't even get an acknowledgement!!), :laugh:

But i would draw the line to anyone who alledgely issues threats to either players or backroom staff, as that defeats the object of constructive critisism!!, :yawn:

I think the fan in question, once they have had a hard look at what they wrote to spark this incident off, should approach the club, either in person, or by phone, and talk the matter over rationally, and sensibly, and hopefully both sides will see reason, and we can see a happy end to this outcome!!, ;)

:city:

How can anyone who has not seen the letter possibly comment?

All I would say is that the club doesn't impose bans lightly.

I believe that Colin Sexton has read the letter and commented that it contained at least one thing that was considered as threatening, which is really what I understood the real issue was concerning the ban?

That said ..... I can't comment on the letter just the reponse from Colin Sexton

"As the letter was full of swearing.....His Dad has been banned from attending matches."

Sounds like a reasonable response - I wrote about an incident which took place last season but did not undermine my argument with profanities or obscenities although leaving them in no doubt as to how upset I was. I had a good response from the club with a genuine attempt to resolve the problem.

If I receive any letters using "swear words" I just bin it and don't bother to reply and if I receive a phone call where a caller swears, I advise them of the illegallity of their actions and cut them off.

Sure let the Management deal with it, but surely you try and talk to someone first, reason with them....and, as I understand it, the ban will only be for 3 months WHEN an appology is forthcoming, if not, it's permanent.

I accept completely I have not seen the letter, just as a matter of principle, it seems a bit harsh.

Guest monster red
Sure let the Management deal with it, but surely you try and talk to someone first, reason with them....and, as I understand it, the ban will only be for 3 months WHEN an appology is forthcoming, if not, it's permanent.

I accept completely I have not seen the letter, just as a matter of principle, it seems a bit harsh.

Your contradicting yourself? If you except you have not seen the letter how can you comment on the actions taken by the club :laugh:

Leave it to the club!!

The person who wrote the letter did just what most try to do on here, except when you try to put a swear word in on here. it's turned around, some get banned from the forum for it, not the ground, others swear from the terraces, and some of which is over the top, do they get banned? only if reported.

To me, the life long ban is, totally over the top,threats well, no one should threaten anyone else, so maybe they thought this justified the ban?. But then the question is would he of carried them out? :laugh:

I feel the club could of handled it better, they should have called the person in question to the club, with security present if they felt him a threat and asked him to explain his reasons for the language and anything else the letter may of contained, If i'm right he may of apologised on the spot to it, as many things are done in anger and regreted later. :city:

Do you have to be so darned sensible all the time - I was going to say so correct all the time and then thankfully noticed "as many things are done in anger and regreted later" ahh the voice of reason incarnate.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

:city: being female i think makes me the ..what is it? the fairer sex?. i tend to think about things first then see reasons as to why they were done before passing judgement, unlike the male sex who tend to dive in feet first then wonder why they only have one shoe left :laugh:

And a very merry christmas too to you, yours and everyone on here. hope that ban is lifted as a new years goodwill gesture too :yawn:

Guest monster red
:city:  being female i think makes me the ..what is it? the fairer sex?. i tend to think about things first then see reasons as to why they were done before passing judgement, unlike the male sex who tend to dive in feet first then wonder why they only have one shoe left  :laugh:

Did you think before making the above sweeping statement :yawn:

Quite frankly, if you have to resort to swearing in a letter then it's a fairly poor show - the passion of the word is lost in a formal letter; profanities are much more effective as spoken word, full of passion in the heat of the moment. If he was daft enough to write to the club in a way that could be construed as threatening then a suspension seems appropriate. The right to free speech doesn't mean you can abdicate responsility for your comments.

Archived