IGNORED

Offside Rule

Chivs

OK, I admit it - I went last night with a part time supporter, otherwise known as my dad.

He asked the question "Why have an offside rule?"

"Well", I replied confidently, "it's because, um, well, because, it's obvious really, because,otherwise,um, the forwards would just sit on the oppo goal line and wait for a huge punt forward. Goal scored. Job done."

In the cold light of day it seems like a good question. If we didn't have an offside rule the play would be far more stretched out. I think that tactics would follow the basketball man-to-man marking. It would be a whole different ball game but not necessarily worse. Thoughts, anyone?

(Plus Peacock's goal stands :( )

The offside rule was originally introduced to stop either team having a man or two perched on the opposition's 6 yard box all game.If that was alowed to happen all the play would involve would be long balls from end to end(no City jokes please! :P )

The American Soccer League in the 70's introduced a line between the 18 yard box and half way line which enabled a player to remain onside if he was behind the line.Basically an extention of the "own half" rule.It wasn't that different to not having it as I recall.

Its a difficult rule to enforce and causes much controversy beacuse the decision is based on the linesman's abilty to move his eyes rapidly from one angle to another and "read and anticipate" the flight and pace of the ball along with the movement of all the players involved.

More difficult than facing a 90 mph delivery in cricket - apparently! :(

It was introduced for a good reason (I like to think) when the rules were drawn up in the 19th century. The one drawback is that a player can give away a free kick by being just one yard in the oppos half if they're all stood on the half way line at the time the ball is played. In the Anglo Italian Cup 30 years ago, the offside rule only applied to the penalty areas. This was an experiment, but nothing came of it.

Thinking about it, yes let's abolish the offside rule because if a player can find himself in a clear space to have a shot at goal and his team mates can get the ball through, good luck to him.

In the cold light of day it seems like a good question.  If we didn't have an offside rule the play would be far more stretched out.  I think that tactics would follow the basketball man-to-man marking.  It would be a whole different ball game but not necessarily worse.  Thoughts, anyone?

(Plus Peacock's goal stands  :(  )

In the states in the 70's the offside line was drawn half way in the half to encourage more attacking play. But apparently it just meant the defence just sat deeper making it harder for forwards to run in to space and so fewer goals were scored.

It's like communism good idea in principle but never works

:0)

In the states in the 70's the offside line was drawn half way in the half to encourage more attacking play. But apparently it just meant the defence just sat deeper making it harder for forwards to run in to space and so fewer goals were scored.

It's like communism good idea in principle but never works

:0)

sorry didnt see Robbored had already said that

:D

OK, I admit it - I went last night with a part time supporter, otherwise known as my dad.

He asked the question "Why have an offside rule?"

"Well", I replied confidently, "it's because, um, well, because, it's obvious really, because,otherwise,um, the forwards would just sit on the oppo goal line and wait for a huge punt forward.  Goal scored.  Job done."

In the cold light of day it seems like a good question.  If we didn't have an offside rule the play would be far more stretched out.  I think that tactics would follow the basketball man-to-man marking.  It would be a whole different ball game but not necessarily worse.  Thoughts, anyone?

(Plus Peacock's goal stands  :(  )

Why?

To prevent defending teams from defending too deep and attacking teams from pressing constantly.

To remove the Law would be to introduce, as you say, an entirely stretched game where technical ability, passing, moving, dribbling and all the aspects that make football such a wonderful spectable would become less important than the ability to launch accurate long balls. Unless we want American Football without the shoulder pads where possession is nine tenths of the score and so much of the game we love disappears then the offside Law has a vital place.

In the Anglo Italian Cup 30 years ago, the offside rule only applied to the penalty areas.  This was an experiment, but nothing came of it. 

Just having the offside rule counting in the penalty area seems like a good idea? Its a shame nothing came of it, could be intresting, and bring more goals into a game which is constantly getting spoiled by bad refs and linesmen!

Why?

To prevent defending teams from defending too deep and attacking teams from pressing constantly.

To remove the Law would be to introduce, as you say, an entirely stretched game where technical ability, passing, moving, dribbling and all the aspects that make football such a wonderful spectable would become less important than the ability to launch accurate long balls. Unless we want American Football without the shoulder pads where possession is nine tenths of the score and so much of the game we love disappears then the offside Law has a vital place.

I'm not sure that the game would reduce to long-ball tactics.

I think it would make a fascinating program to see top football coaches discussing what tactics they would employ if the offside rule was abolished.

Obviously Ferguson would be clueless because he has no tactical acumen whatsoever. However, the top European coaches (including Houllier, Wenger) could offer a number of options:

• Play 1-9 formation and just punt it forward but leave yourself exposed at the back. This is otherwise known as "Wimbledon circa 1985"
  • Play man-to-man tactics and hope to outrun the opposition with clever darting runs
  • Play zonal system where each player guards a particular area of the pitch
  • and so it goes on...

There's no doubt the game would change significantly but I'm not sure it would get worse.

Archived