IGNORED

Bristol City

Rich-TWSC-

In forty years of following the one that for me fills the definition is Gerry Gow.

Not really quite sure the attributes or qualities that go towards earning such a status but so many memories are still vivid 20 years on.

Firstly when this guy was in your team it did'nt matter who the opposition were you just knew that you had a chance of winning,for he played to the full and expected the same from all those around him.No prima donna's,no half hearted stuff....100% commitment & passion.

Fear,simply not in the vocabulary,Murray a man mountain of a centre half for Cardiff was kicking lumps out of a young Tom Ritchie.With the ball to be won in a challenge two goliaths in the shape of Gow(probably in size half)& Murray clashed,the No5 was left on the ground in a heap blaspheming.Now if lip-reading was translated correctly that day at Ninian Park then Gow said "If you cant take it don't give it".

Can also still remember Graham Souness with a rapidly growing stature at Middlesbrough pleading with the Ref for "protection".Gow was fearless which endeared him to our fans but which scared the heck out of all others,for opposing fans realised he had the capability to create a fear factor and stop some of their team from performing,namely those with limited bottle.

Interestingly that love him or hate him mentality was still evident back in the mid 80's when just as a shell of the player from his past he was player/manager with Yeovil.Went along to Croydon to see him play on an evening,oh how those Croydon fans still remembered him from all those match of the days.....a real cult hero,

Amen.

Gerry Gow is my all time idol.

Tom Ritchie also deserves a mention, cos he would run all day for the cause, and would never give you less than 110%.

Our all-time Cult Hero just has to be Gerry Gow.

I was fortunate enough to meet the great man on a couple of occasions in Portland, Dorset a couple of years ago. We had a few beers (I sent texts to the whole world saying Gerry Gow has bought me a Stella!) and a good chat.

He was a top man and told me a couple of great stories. He told me how his Dad (a hard-nosed Glaswegian) was in tears when he was 1st picked for Scotland under-23s. His Dad was buried wearing Gerry's 1st Scotland shirt.

He also told me how he (ahem!) 'marked' Paul Mariner out of the game against Ipswich in City's last season in the old div 1. Towards the end of the game Mariner said something along the lines of: "You're geting relegated so you aint that good."

Gerry was then sold to Man City in the close season and Man City's first game the next season? Ipswich away! Gerry just grinned at Mr.Mariner in the tunnel before the game and watched the colour drain from his face! Mariner duly went missing for the next 90 mins! Oh for a player who can have that effect on the opposition!

One tragedy though is that Gerry Gow apparently looks for Man City's results first on a saturday because of the way BCFC have treated him since he left, including apparently trying to make him pay to get into The Gate! He is greeted like a hero when he goes anywhere near Manchester! This is a tragedy!

Gerry Gow - top man, a legend!

Guest North Street
In forty years of following the one that for me fills the definition is Gerry Gow.

Not really quite sure the attributes or qualities that go towards earning such a status but so many memories are still vivid 20 years on.

Firstly when this guy was in your team it did'nt matter who the opposition were you just knew that you had a chance of winning,for he played to the full and expected the same from all those around him.No prima donna's,no half hearted stuff....100% commitment & passion.

Fear,simply not in the vocabulary,Murray a man mountain of a centre half for Cardiff was kicking lumps out of a young Tom Ritchie.With the ball to be won in a challenge two goliaths in the shape of Gow(probably in size half)& Murray clashed,the No5 was left on the ground in a heap blaspheming.Now if lip-reading was translated correctly that day at Ninian Park then Gow said  "If you cant take it don't give it".

Can also still remember Graham Souness with a rapidly growing stature at Middlesbrough pleading with the Ref for "protection".Gow was fearless which endeared him to our fans but which scared the heck out of all others,for opposing fans realised he had the capability to create a fear factor and stop some of their team from performing,namely those with limited bottle.

Interestingly that love him or hate him mentality was still evident back in the mid 80's when just as a shell of the player from his past he was player/manager with Yeovil.Went along to Croydon to see him play on an evening,oh how those Croydon fans still remembered him from all those match of the days.....a real cult hero,

Gow :angry:

As you so rightly pointed out Gow was the embodiment of hard but he also carried this aura around with him that screamed "madman".Players did run scared of him and i while i do not have forty years of support behind me [thirty five]i would agree that nobody since has come close to his cult status.The mention of his name is enough to make me smile i think of this relatively small man bossing top flight midfields when contact really was still allowed.Gerry Gow = 100% Bristol City.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Gow truly was an incredible player who any team in the country wouldn't of minded having in their engine room,I never saw anybody get the better off him in terms of physical midfield battles,not even Bremner....I remember the FA Youth Cup final against Spurs when Gow ###### Souness up bad!

Guest Fleetstreetred
Here are the votes from Stockwood,

In third place Rob 'Biff' Newman

In second place Gerry 'ouch' Gow

In first place Sir Geoffrey Merrick

Spot on. Geoff Merrick was probably the best defender ever to play for City - particularly impressive as he spent 4 seasons playing out of position after Hunters arrival. Hunter himself must come close - what a lesson to todays old 'comfort zone ' pros. Not only did he bleed for the shirt, but, according to his autobiography, the players were responsible for washing their own kit in the 70's! Biff, for stepping up at 16 when the club was in crisis, playing over 400 times and still having enough in the tank for 250 odd games for Norwich, which got him into the Canaries official Hall of Fame.

From the players i've seen

Biff Newman - run through brick walls for you

Walshy - the Walshy stepover - should be in every coaching manual

Jacki - God

Cole might have made it but for the fact he appears to have forgotten where Bristol is let alone the fact he ever played here.

Keith Welch is also one - hell of a charachter played a lot of games for us.

Ateyo (though i never saw him play) i don't think fits into this vote as he's not a cult hero he is just the greatest player in the clubs history. Cult hero to me is something a bit different to that.

Guest Pigbagman
I can't believe no one's put forward Ian Baird !!!

Bloke in work supports Sutton United. They were away at Havant (Hampshire) on Saturday. Havant's manager is Ian Baird and they have Robbie Pethick (ex gas) playing for them. You are right to describe Baird as a cult. He will always be a cult in my eyes.

Bloke in work supports Sutton United. They were away at Havant (Hampshire) on Saturday. Havant's manager is Ian Baird and they have Robbie Pethick (ex gas) playing for them. You are right to describe Baird as a cult. He will always be a cult in my eyes.

Oddly enough I was in the Atyeo Stand with a mate when Baird showed his views through sign language.

Funny stuff.

Rob Newman, Super Bob Taylor, Wayney Allison, The Goat, Big Joey Jordan, Ago and Norman Hunter for me.......just missed Citys heyday in the top flight.only put up with (mostly) mediocrity since.....these guys the highlights IMHO.

Guest Pigbagman
Can I add Tony Fitzpatrick as a cult hero.  Record fee, big reputation, two seasons, two relegations.  Marvellous stuff......

It's strange how Tony Fitzpatrick has been airbrushed out of history as far as most City fans are concerned. He was our record signing for years and years (in fact, I'm guessing it was at least a decade before we spent anywhere near the £250k we spent on him in 1979) and yet most City fans under the age of 30 will have no idea who we are talking about! Very odd indeed.

As for the ultimate cult hero........step forward John "Uncle Fester" Shaw!

It's strange how Tony Fitzpatrick has been airbrushed out of history as far as most City fans are concerned. He was our record signing for years and years (in fact, I'm guessing it was at least a decade before we spent anywhere near the £250k we spent on him in 1979) and yet most City fans under the age of 30 will have no idea who we are talking about! Very odd indeed.

As for the ultimate cult hero........step forward John "Uncle Fester" Shaw!

It's fair enough though... I meen their are plenty of young uns on this forum that are too young to remember 90's City players! Maybe the kids should find a book and learn about the club they support... I certainly did that for Swindon back in the day!!!!

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd! :angry:

Guest Pigbagman
It's fair enough though... I meen their are plenty of young uns on this forum that are too young to remember 90's City players! Maybe the kids should find a book and learn about the club they support... I certainly did that for Swindon back in the day!!!!

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd! :angry:

I know what you mean, but Tony Fitzpatrick has been forgotten about by *every* City fan, not just the young ones!

I know what you mean, but Tony Fitzpatrick has been forgotten about by *every* City fan, not just the young ones!

Looks like nobody cares : http://www.citystats.org.uk/playerdetail.a...ind=tony&id=250

Pigbagman, I must admit I know the name but had no idea he was our most expensive signing at the time. Thank goodness we learnt our lesson the next time we spent that much money by buying Dziekanowski and Atteveld then sacking them both within months, thus losing half a million pounds.

Looks like nobody cares : http://www.citystats.org.uk/playerdetail.a...ind=tony&id=250

Pigbagman, I must admit I know the name but had no idea he was our most expensive signing at the time.  Thank goodness we learnt our lesson the next time we spent that much money by buying Dziekanowski and Atteveld then sacking them both within months, thus losing half a million pounds.

It's incredible that your (then) most expensive signing hasn't even got a write up or photo on that site!!!! It's not even THAT long ago (really!)

It's incredible that your (then) most expensive signing hasn't even got a write up or photo on that site!!!! It's not even THAT long ago (really!)

He hasn't got a photo because it takes an absolute age to find, scan and upload such images for the site. It took me weeks to get all the 1990s players done, then I did a few from the 80s then I thought, why don't I get a life? :angry:

As for the write up, that's up to everyone else, I was only a few days old when he signed so I know nothing about the man. :P

He hasn't got a photo because it takes an absolute age to find, scan and upload such images for the site. It took me weeks to get all the 1990s players done, then I did a few from the 80s then I thought, why don't I get a life? :laugh:

As for the write up, that's up to everyone else, I was only a few days old when he signed so I know nothing about the man.  :P

Fair enough. I apologise! :angry:

Archived