IGNORED

Bristol City

Rich-TWSC-

Just watching Footy Focus and was wondering if your "Cult Hero" has been done yet?

Obviously, it's going to be Atyeo. With a Dick's era player and the Dziekanowski being considered.

Who else should be up there?

;)

It's a quiet day, I'm curious.

SWINDON'S

3rd OHH SHAUN TAYLOR (my vote!)

2nd Steve White

1st Don Rogers

Guest BlackthornRed

John Atyeo, Gerry Sweeney and Dariusz Dziekanowski should be our cult heroes but I bet that Andy Cole will be in there just because he is famous. Also the stealing of Shaun Taylor (Vicious, almost as vicious as the stealing of Matthew Hewlett) ;)

I was going to say "Super Bob" John Galley or Norman Hunter but the word "cult" is always an odd one, it doesn't always refer to the best players. It's often more to do with those players have a rapport with, Imre (banana) Varadi at Man City for example.

I would go for someone who's efforts were never doubted, although there actual talent was not of the highest standard.

Mike Gibson.

Ray Cashley.

David Moyes.

Glyn Riley.

Would all come into that category for me.

Guest MaloneFM
Just on John Atyeo, why not produce a DVD on his playing career. Show his club and England highlights, interviews, most spectacular goals. Early stuff would be B&W, but i think the club would sell thousands if produced.

Nice idea but there isnt a hell of a lot of foottage is there? I mean look at the great Jacki. Not much of him or there would be one out already.

The one of Tins sold at his testimonial was at best patchy with at least half a dozen of the clips lifted from someones home taping of a match.

And one from Soccer AM on Sky!

Guest stuck_in_lancs

It was nice to see Alan Walsh being up for cult heroe for Darlington.

I think he's got a good chance of being the one for City too,and thus become probably the only player to be cult heroe for TWO clubs!!

;)

Guest ashtonyate
Just watching Footy Focus and was wondering if your "Cult Hero" has been done yet?

Obviously, it's going to be Atyeo. With a Dick's era player and the Dziekanowski being considered.

Who else should be up there?

;)

It's a quiet day, I'm curious.

SWINDON'S

3rd OHH SHAUN TAYLOR (my vote!)

2nd Steve White

1st Don Rogers

The fans they are the realy heros

Sorry Gareth, I should have known better.

Funnily enough he was a hero to my dad.

I say that because my dad hated Leeds and saw Hunter as the embodiment of their "dirty" tactics. When we signed him he said "thats it, I'm not going there anymore. If I wanted to see animals I'd go to the zoo!"

But because it was the 70's my mum didn't want me going on my own with all those hoolies around, so he still came "just to take me". He was amazed, said he hadn't realised what a footballer he was, and he became a firm favourite of his. He even used to laugh at the reaction of the odd player who would pull out of tackles when they saw him coming. (You know who you are, Stan Bowles!)

The definition of a cult hero, I think.

Bristol City FC cult heroes:

John Atyeo - scored the most goals for BCFC.

Billy 'fatty' Wedlock (our most capped player for England).

Adge Cutler (wrote 'Drink Up Thy Zider' for us to sing).

What would be the 3 cult heroes that you've seen though? When I voted in the Swindon one I didn't vote Don Rogers because I'd never seen him play. Plus "Oo" Shaun Taylor is a god thus getting my vote!

Rich-TGSC-.....

The very best players I've seen play for Bristol City FC are:

Gerry Gow

Andy Cole

Norman Hunter

....in that order. Only Gerry Gow being our very own cult hero, Cole became a cult hero for Newcastle United and Norman Hunter was a cult hero while at the mighty Leeds United during the early 1970's prior to joining us.

Rich-TGSC-.....

The very best players I've seen play for Bristol City FC are:

Gerry Gow

Andy Cole

Norman Hunter

....in that order. Only Gerry Gow being our very own cult hero, Cole became a cult hero for Newcastle United and Norman Hunter was a cult hero while at the mighty Leeds United during the early 1970's prior to joining us.

Thank you and I am quite aware of the works of Norman Hunter! You can be a cult hero at more than one club, that's allowed.

In forty years of following the one that for me fills the definition is Gerry Gow.

Not really quite sure the attributes or qualities that go towards earning such a status but so many memories are still vivid 20 years on.

Firstly when this guy was in your team it did'nt matter who the opposition were you just knew that you had a chance of winning,for he played to the full and expected the same from all those around him.No prima donna's,no half hearted stuff....100% commitment & passion.

Fear,simply not in the vocabulary,Murray a man mountain of a centre half for Cardiff was kicking lumps out of a young Tom Ritchie.With the ball to be won in a challenge two goliaths in the shape of Gow(probably in size half)& Murray clashed,the No5 was left on the ground in a heap blaspheming.Now if lip-reading was translated correctly that day at Ninian Park then Gow said "If you cant take it don't give it".

Can also still remember Graham Souness with a rapidly growing stature at Middlesbrough pleading with the Ref for "protection".Gow was fearless which endeared him to our fans but which scared the heck out of all others,for opposing fans realised he had the capability to create a fear factor and stop some of their team from performing,namely those with limited bottle.

Interestingly that love him or hate him mentality was still evident back in the mid 80's when just as a shell of the player from his past he was player/manager with Yeovil.Went along to Croydon to see him play on an evening,oh how those Croydon fans still remembered him from all those match of the days.....a real cult hero,

Archived