IGNORED

Millen - On His Way?

Robbored

Jim Smith?

As he is assistant manager at Southampton, no he isn't.

I think Osman is a better bet than Fawthrop, the problem is whoever is chosen if Millen has gone then Tinnion has to either delegate to them whilst on the pitch or stop playing.

Guest WillsbridgeRed
Your telling me that we don't have the players to get out of this league?, wake up mate

Look at the record over the last how many seasons? Not good enough.

we need a manager who knows how to pick a team, what tactics to play and stick to them and not say "well we won this week against a crap team lets stick to this is against totally difernt oppeonents", Tinnions downfall is he's to scared to make possitive decisions ( with his if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it ), you talk about DW and his negative 1-0 up and defend, well Tinnion is even worse with making silly changes when were chasing games!

You wont get out of this league playing exciting passing, attacking footy - Look at Plymouth and Wigan - Perfect examples of a tight unit, and Luton this year. A strong organised side scores goals even if their game is based on defending - Didn't plymouth hammer Hartlepool 7-0? (or has my largerized brain got that one wrong?)

, when I say we have the talent already at this club I'm not saying we have premiership players for goodness sakes I'm saying we have enough talent at this club to get us out of this sh!t league.

The talent maybe, devoid of ambition, motivation and intellect.

Personally I don't think it is a question of sacking someone but I do think bringing in some experience would be a good thing. Someone to come in and spend a couple of months working alongside Tins and Millen, an advisor with experience of coaching, management etc at a higher level.

Don't know if this is possible but why not - haven't other teams done it? I am sure there are many suggestions, one that came to my mind was Dave Jones - how about asking him to come in as an advisor for a short while?

Guest dogwood

why do city fans continually bleat about the club going backwards, which i do actually agree with , BUT , the same fans THEN look backwards all the time digging up names from the past in a merry go round of past managers and assistants etc, going nowhere fast , the only way forward is one BIG shake up , the players ARE in a comfort zone, friday nights display was appalling , but re- visiting old pastures aint the way , danny wilson, s after match comments could have been a taped message, evey game virtually had the same message, and always hiding behind a penalty that never was or a fluke goal that beat us, never a reality comment that the players were not good enough or played rubbish , at least tinnion talks straight , just need him to react on that. :whistle: :@ , and yes tinnion needs a GOOD no 2 , and players that earn their cash , any 11 fans out of the dolman stand could have played better in the first half on friday , and lita, ? although he had no service, needs to come back down to earth , he aint worth millions yet , despite the gold boots,city players believe they are a godsend to div 1 , they are far from that . dave .

Guest bristolcityup1

7th in the leauge with still time to make it into the playoffs,, Yes lets slag off the manager who is trying his bestwith his only rescources,then sack the number 2... all makes sence really!

I'm not at all sure we would be doing much better with Wilson still in charge.

We wouldn't have Heffernan or Brooker, we wouldn't have got 19 goals out of Leroy, and the likes of Hill, Brown and Carey would have left anyway.

It is partly Wilson's fault that the "comfort zone" was allowed to extend to the level it has now reached and Wilson's tactic of ignoring it was unsustainable.

It's painful at the moment, but this transition had to be made sooner or later and we have to have the patience to stick it out this time. Tinnion is inexperienced and it is therefore impossible to say whether or not he is likely to succeed, but he does seem to be trying to give the club the shake-up it needs.

If we can get an experienced and respected assistant to help him do the job, the season can still be saved.

To coin a phrase of yours, utter rubbish.

You don't know whether Lita would have played under Wilson or not. He played for him last year and a year older may well have been picked regularly.

What difference has Heffernan made?

Wilson realised that players' attitudes had to be addressed and used Brian Jones to sort them out. The fact that the boys played so well against the top teams last year suggests that their heads were right.

The first three years of Wilson were good to watch. The last year saw the team address the mental side, seeking victory above entertainment, and as a result became comparatively dull to watch. There is a marked contrast between the discipline and attitude of this season's team and last year's so to attempt to blame Wilson is nonsense.

In my opinion, the decision to decimate the coaching staff including the club psychologist has allowed ill discipline and a 'cosy club' attitude to return and prevail.

If Millen is made the scapegoat for this season's debacle I pity him. But if he goes, I hope it's because the club is set to appoint an experienced coach as a director of football who will re-install a winning attitude and provide the guidance and support that Brian needs and deserves.

You don't know whether Lita would have played under Wilson or not. He played for him last year and a year older may well have been picked regularly.

You're right there. I can't say for sure, and it's not really worth worrying about.

What difference has Heffernan made?

Less than I would like to have seen, but he is a decent player and has done well with the chances he's had. I don't think Tinnion is making enough use of him, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

Wilson realised that players' attitudes had to be addressed and used Brian Jones to sort them out. The fact that the boys played so well against the top teams last year suggests that their heads were right.

I'm all for utilising psychologists to help the players, but it didn't stop some of them indulging in their self-destructive off-the-pitch activities, and as far as I can tell, Wilson doesn't have a problem with it. I'm sure there must be other ways to foster team spirit than letting them get drunk.

The first three years of Wilson were good to watch. The last year saw the team address the mental side, seeking victory above entertainment, and as a result became comparatively dull to watch. There is a marked contrast between the discipline and attitude of this season's team and last year's so to attempt to blame Wilson is nonsense.

I agree. I'm not blaming Wilson for anything other than delivering comparitively little in 4 years and failing to address problems that plagued the club from the start, such as certain players thinking they are better and more important than they are, and acting in an unprofessional manner.

In my opinion, the decision to decimate the coaching staff including the club psychologist has allowed ill discipline and a 'cosy club' attitude to return and prevail.

Fair enough. We lost a good coach in Barlow, I won't argue there, and Wilson clearly has some talent for management to have got as far as he has.

I also appreciate that a psychologist is a useful thing to have, though it may be a luxury at this level.

Far more damaging in my opinion was the sacking of the fitness coach the year before. Fitness and strength is where our players really struggle and I can't see how we can manage without a full time fitness coach.

If Millen is made the scapegoat for this season's debacle I pity him. But if he goes, I hope it's because the club is set to appoint an experienced coach as a director of football who will re-install a winning attitude and provide the guidance and support that Brian needs and deserves.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Presumably all of you people who want Millen shown the exit door are just as keen to show, Alan Walsh, Shaun Taylor and Pete Amos the exit door as they are probably at least equally culpable (if not more) for the shambolic lack of coaching on offer at AG.

Whether MIllen should go or not, Tinnion was bang out of order in hanging him out to dry like he did with his comments the other night. I'm sure if most of us had bosses like that (i.e. take the credit and shirk the responsibility) we would be looking for alternative employment pretty quickly.

let,s hope so    :whistle:

i think we will all agree our club is to big for league one, but it doesnt matter what fans-base or history your club has, with a poor managerial set-up and under-performing players, we will be saying the same in 5 years time, all we need is an experienced assistant to guide our team/club to success and get us out of this poor division, i have sympathy for millen but he is the wrong choice at this current time.

keep following people because one day our time will come

we just need  the right leadership and to get those lazy gits to play football!  :@

Correct my friend you have summed it up. LEADERSHIP.

We have no one at management level within the club who can lead. Players were accused of playing to orders during Wilsons stint in charge, but alas now The Peoples Chumpion has seized power, they are "lazy gits".

Millen was Tinnions choice, no one else appointed him. If he is to go then he will surely be the FIRST Assistant Manager to be sacked for bad results.!! Any respect that Tinnion may have held within the club will surely disappear,and his position will become untenable.

What a fiasco.

If Millen is going, then that's good news - let's hope he takes Tinnion with him.

There's a lot of pointless argument onthis thread comparing Tinnion to Wilson. whatever anyones thinks about Wilson is irrelevant. It's history, move on.

The here and now is that Tinnion doesn't deserve to be where he is and, regardless of the outcome of this season needs to make way to somebody who can get a talented squad playing to the level they are capable of.

Tinnion is not that man and though we seemingly have good prospects breaking into the ranks in Skuse, Cotterill and Goldborne, we also need experienced pro's and a good coach who can guide them.

I despair at how these prospects may develop under Tinnion.

Guest ashtonyate
I am on the planet of people who can see the long term as well as the short.

The club has a culture of ingrained mediocrity and it will not be fixed without sweeping changes. These changes are never easy and almost always result in the side getting worse before it gets better. The point is that it will be able to reach a higher point than it could without the changes.

Wilson's tenure saw the club climb 6 places in 4 years, with millions spent on transfers. Wilson himself was also paid a relatively high salary. Do you think that was sustainable?

We'd have lost the same players we lost anyway, as they were off to bigger an better things whatever. The only one who might have stayed is Peacock, and he was a waste of space. Do you think Wilson could have replaced them effectively? I can only think of three decent players brought in by Wilson during his tenure, and one of those was recommended to him by supporters!

The club NEEDS to be shaken up and have the comfort zone removed. The last two managers to try and do it lasted little over a year between them (Benny and Pulis), because City fans would rather have someone who promises the Earth and delivers nothing than someone who admits they have a big job to do.

Short-term thinking is holding this club back and it has to stop. The only thing that has taken this club backwards was sticking with Wilson for too long.

Well said

I am on the planet of people who can see the long term as well as the short.

The club has a culture of ingrained mediocrity and it will not be fixed without sweeping changes. These changes are never easy and almost always result in the side getting worse before it gets better. The point is that it will be able to reach a higher point than it could without the changes.

Wilson's tenure saw the club climb 6 places in 4 years, with millions spent on transfers. Wilson himself was also paid a relatively high salary. Do you think that was sustainable?

We'd have lost the same players we lost anyway, as they were off to bigger an better things whatever. The only one who might have stayed is Peacock, and he was a waste of space. Do you think Wilson could have replaced them effectively? I can only think of three decent players brought in by Wilson during his tenure, and one of those was recommended to him by supporters!

The club NEEDS to be shaken up and have the comfort zone removed. The last two managers to try and do it lasted little over a year between them (Benny and Pulis), because City fans would rather have someone who promises the Earth and delivers nothing than someone who admits they have a big job to do.

Short-term thinking is holding this club back and it has to stop. The only thing that has taken this club backwards was sticking with Wilson for too long.

One of the best posts for a long while. I agree with almost every word. There is something other than the raw talent of the players that has stopped this club progressing in recent years, and whatever it is, it needs to be vanquished and expelled from the club. I may be wrong, but I suspect it is to do with the off-the-pitch attitude and work ethic of some players.

For too long, players have had it easy here. I know Steve L will disagree with this, because he said so at the Dolman open forum a few weeks back, but I don't think our players look like a supremely physically and mentally fit unit that plays for each other on the park. In the past there have been too many players that have come in, collected a pay cheque and gone home again. Players at our club should be physically more honed. They are elite full time athletes. There is no reason why they should not look as muscular and fit as Beckham or Gerrard, even if they do not have the same natural ability. Who can honestly say that's the case with all our players?

We have to instil that sort of outlook, which is why I cry no tears over the departure of Peacock. I think (Dinning aside) Tinman's made the right sort of buys. Not just in terms of quality but in terms of attitude.

What did Luton have that we dodn't? I don't think their players looked more skilful than ours at Kenilworth ROad. Yes, they had more confidence because of their position. But they also looked physically stronger, they played as a unit and they were focused.

If it takes Tinman dismantling the team, getting rid of the parts that don't fit into this ethic and then putting it back together, then so be it. I think that is what much of this season turned into. It's been a bigger job than perhaps we might have expected.

Like you say, the club needs to be shaken up and the comfort zone removed. If that means losing one or two of the better players because they don't like that, then fair enough.

When the players come out next season, I want to see them looking much fitter and more muscular. I want to see players like Skuse, who have the ability, turned into physically fine specimens with muscles in all the right places. I want to see them play like their life depends not on themselves, but on each other. I think bringing on the young lads together should do that because they will be in it together, and I think from what I have seen they have the ability to get us up. Just give me a couple of older players with the right attitude who have experienced at a higher level and have the right sort of attitude to play alongside them, guide them on the pitch and become role models off it, and I think that these lads will make us very proud.

I am looking forward to next season regardless of which division we are in.

Well said Redtop. I was talking with some friends on Saturday whilst watching the Chelsea match. Whilst Cheslea are a far superior team to us I hastened to mention that they have a great team spirit and that is why the promoted teams in our league have achieved this season. I can only remember this vagually in 1989-90 in my early days of watching city but more recently when we were promoted in 97-98 under Ward. What a fantastic atmosphere we had at the gate winning week in week out and walking the league along with Watford. It was a shame that Ward could not take us one step further in division 1 but that was not to be. But if we can get a few more players in the club over the summer months I believe we could achieve that great team spirit again with Tinnion. I witnessed that there was team spirit there on Saturday and with the fans behind the team singing and willing them on every home game will surge their performances on no end. Tinnion is as passionate about this club as you and me and I'm confident that next season he will bring that team spirit back to the club that weve been missing for so long.

I don't think anybody is disputing that "The club has a culture of ingrained mediocrity and it will not be fixed without sweeping changes"

However, I disagree with the implication that Wilson was bad for the club and encouraged that culture, and neither do I think that Tinnion is the right man to make those changes.

He may well have the passion, but is lacking on the know-how.

Whatever your opinion of this season, I remain unconvinced that Tinnion can bring about the sort of culture shift the club needs.

I don't think anybody is disputing that "The club has a culture of ingrained mediocrity and it will not be fixed without sweeping changes"

However, I disagree with the implication that Wilson was bad for the club and encouraged that culture,

Wilson may not have encouraged the culture but he did nothing to address it.

and neither do I think that Tinnion is the right man to make those changes.

And yet Tinnion has made sweeping changes largely characterised by his introduction of the youngsters and the weeding out of the old guard.

He may well have the passion, but is lacking on the know-how.

I would have agreed at the start of the season but he's done enough imo since the New Year to suggest otherwise,

Whatever your opinion of this season, I remain unconvinced that Tinnion can bring about the sort of culture shift the club needs.

and thats your opinion but ultimately only time will tell.None of us can predict what lies ahead but we can at least give the bloke a chance.

• Admin

He didn't of course, unless the rumour was that Millen would leave "at some point in the future" in which case, I've heard that every single player and member of the management team will be leaving the club! ohmy.gif

Archived