IGNORED

Sl - Stepped Over The Mark

SimplyRed

Who the hell does this guy think he is?

If the story in today's EP is accurate, SL slams home fans for being over critical.

Oh really?

Talk about biting off the hand that feeds you... he implies that the home form is partly due to the fickleness of the home fans - what rubbish! - and cements his argument by illustrating the away support and away form!

I'm gobsmacked.... he'd be quite happy to take plaudits if we were riding high, but he can't take the rough times!

Football is a tough game Mr Lansdown and when you're flavour of the month, everything's great, but when you're not, it hurts but you have to bite your lip. Criticism is inevitable if your team is not performing.

The very worse thing you can do is slag off the fans...

Sad, very very sad... reminds of the milkman's outburst not long ago...

Guest hairyshamrock

Oh he's really not facing up to reality is he??!! I didn't think he was very good at doing anything other than paying off debts before this but thats just a disgrace!

I know people will come on here and say that "well, he does pay off the debts" but in my personal AND professional opinion, a good business man runs a business so that it doesn't have any debts to pay off!

And as i was told back along, if you go for a meal and its not very good, don't expect a refund - but who does the complaining, the customer about the meal or the chef about the customers taste buds??!!

Not a clever move Mr Lansdowne, you do your job and we'll (try to) enjoy the (so called) football you think we are playing!

Who the hell does this guy think he is?

If the story in today's EP is accurate, SL slams home fans for being over critical.

Oh really?

Talk about biting off the hand that feeds you... he implies that the home form is partly due to the fickleness of the home fans - what rubbish! - and cements his argument by illustrating the away support and away form!

For the record. I think he has a point..... (response awaited)

Guest Champagne Football

I fail to see that anything positive could come out of what he said in the EP.

He is almost shifting the blame to us! Well I don't pick the manager, team or the badge. Why should he blame us for the current situation! I am paying my money for him to use wisely, yet he has the balls to have a go at us? Has the man lost it?

Guest alex1089

I like lansdown alot on the money side but i think that was right in a way that the fans don't sing at home but the away support has been fantastic away from home. I think that with the different lets say answers to questions on the steveL/ColinS forum from steve he may be getting fed up of being chairman...

Oh he's really not facing up to reality is he??!!  I didn't think he was very good at doing anything other than paying off debts before this but thats just a disgrace! 

I know people will come on here and say that "well, he does pay off the debts" but in my personal AND professional opinion, a good business man runs a business so that it doesn't have any debts to pay off! 

And as i was told back along, if you go for a meal and its not very good, don't expect a refund - but who does the complaining, the customer about the meal or the chef about the customers taste buds??!! 

Not a clever move Mr Lansdowne, you do your job and we'll (try to) enjoy the (so called) football you think we are playing!

What's the problem, we've always known that City fans have always been over criticle, he's just stating a fact !

I can see where SL is coming from, constantly any poor pass or the wrong decision by a player you can just hear the moans all the was around the ground. It has been a very frustrating season but it has to be said SL recruited Tinman with a lack of experience, etc. would he do that with his company for such a top role, i don't think so.

He denies we have taken a step back, but the successes he named were under Danny Wilson not Brian Tinnion. I'm one to give Tinman a fair crack of the whip + i still think he can sneak us into the playoffs, but we are a far cry from the team we were last season. 'Team' being the main word, cus as far as I'm concerned they don't work for eachother at all + I'm yet to see a good performance at home since tranmere. We may have beaten oldham 5-1 but thats against a team really struggling.

SL knows how the fans react down here so does Tinman, they know its only down to poor performances on the pitch as to why the moaners are out in force. You can only get behind your team so much then enough is enough + your feelings have to be shown!

Ive a funny feeling we'll come back from luton with at least a point by the way!CTID

Well he may well have to go back to the Evening Post in a couple of months time, slamming the fans who have decided not to renew their season tickets next season. Presumably, he will criticise them just enough so that they will not attend Home games at all and will definitely not buy a half season ticket even if things are going well.

The guy may be a good sound businessman with a track record, but is also a prize idiot when it comes to commenting on all matters football-wise (based on the latest and other media rants/comments he has made). To turn on your own CUSTOMERS/CLIENTS/SUPPORTERS/INVESTORS/STAKEHOLDERS/MUGS! (call them what you like) does not appear in any good practice business manual I would'nt have thought. If you pay your hard earned at the turnstile, you are ENTITLED to an opinion on what you are watching, END OF STORY.

I think the latest outburst together with the manure shovelling comments only underline the fact that the guy is feeling the pressure big time, and can't take it. Lansdown, get real, the football has been crap this season and there is no point in denying it, much of it down to tactical naievety and negative thinking/team selection.

P.S. Before anyone comments, I will be buying a Season Ticket next season - more fool me!! But given the Badge debacle and the apparent outburst by the Chairman, I would'nt be too harsh on people who decide they have other things to spend their own TIME and MONEY on next season.

For the record.  I think he has a point.....  (response awaited)

Wait no longer:-Who authorised the buying of Miller (soon to be sold almost certainly at a loss) Goodfellow who has been messed around and is now the latest career bench warmer at AG, Heffernone posssibly a good squad member (but, i'm sure the money could have been better spent elsewhere ummmm MIDFIELD, Who allowed Carey to leave under bitter circumstances and then resign him as the messiah, Who is authorising the PR disaster that is the badge fiasco, Who gave Wilson a 3 year contract when things were not going particulary well and of course who gave the managers job to Tinnion, Let me think was it the fans, I don't think so.

Also who is it putting in woeful performances week after week at AG, The fans who once more bought season tickets in droves, I don't think so.

But, The way things are going it will the fans who will vote with their feet next season if this season continues in the same vein.

And finally if the fans are too blame for gutless home performances, Who was it who made the comments about "players having the arses wiped" at the club, it was the manager who given the job by the chairman.

This has been building up for a month. After the home loss against Walsall, there was a lot of booing, and fans gave SL a right earfull from all sides before he left his seat. This must have been very humiliating for a rich man in power. Lets hope this does not develop into an SL v Fans situation, otherwise the next home game could have some nasty vocals........The team and the club will be the losers, and ultimately SL himself.

This EP article could an attempt by Steve Landsdown to show unity with Richard Latham for whatever reason who made similar comments via the Independant a few weeks ago.

Back then I said that we shouldn't take local hacks too seriously but when the club Chairman comes out with the same opinion it can't be ignored so easily.

Maybe the fans at AG are over critical.Certainly I've noticed more discontent this season than last but with the below par performances of the team at AG that has to expected.

Fans pay to watch their team and are therefore entitled to voice whatever they feel and this season there has been much frustration from the fans when City have lost or failed to beat sides when expected.

I can see where SL is coming from though'.It doesn't help the players when every error is booed or groaned at especially young players but that said the players have to get used it.They are paid to entertain and when they fail to do so they should expect the critism they get.It works both ways as well and so far no-one has mentioned the standing ovations the team has recieved on occaisions,H'pool in the play-offs last season for example.

The players should rise above the booing when it happens and then play from then on so that its not forthcoming again.

Link to EP here.

The home fans were like they are today during the Pulis period. We got right behind the team from the moment Fawthrop introduced the academy lads - we are smart enough to know that kids need support and we gave it to them. To the very end of Wilson's reign, the crowd was right behind the team at home (even if this forum had a sizeable number of people against him).

Of the changes introduced, what made the difference in our tolerance level? The appointment of a rookie manager? The replacement of kids with journeymen? In my opinion, if we had confidence in the manager (and with any rookie manager, the jury has to be out until he's proven we can trust him) or if we had promising youngsters filling the squad, the team would get our support. But in the absence of those two, we cannot be blamed for venting our disappointment and frustration.

And on the subject of SL blaming the fans, here's a quote from the article - "Nothing has happened to warrant there being a scapegoat". Except a change in the fans attitude at home matches, Steve?

All I would say to Steve Lansdown would be - why was our home record so good last season? The atmosphere was similar, if not worse (no Subbers) last season and we didn't have any trouble in winning the majority of games at AG.

Good point. But don't forget that this debt will only get bigger and bigger once Lansdown succeeds in his mission to alienate the supporters!!

I think the "alienating the fans" thing has been blown out of all proportion:

Wilson

------

SL largely had the support of the fans on this in the forums.

Tinnion

-------

The forum largely agreed with Tinnion's appointment. Now that City aren't getting the results, a lot of people are castigating the chairman for his appointment, forgetting that it was a popularly supported move at the time. What real good would sacking Tinman do at this stage of the season?

Badge

-----

I agree that this could have been handled better, but the response has been really OTT in my opinion, and in some cases quite sarcastic/agressive. I can't really blame SL for his somewhat blunt responses.

What £7 million debt is that?

The £7 debt highlighted in the annual report.

What really worries me about all the stick that SL and the board are getting at the moment is that people castigating them don't seem to remember 1982 or the recent plight of other clubs like Bradford, Leeds etc.

If SL and the board walked tomorrow, we'd need to find £7m worth of backing. Clubs have gone into receivership for the sake of less than 10th of that.

he is not saying all the supporters at home

games , just the few that keep booing the team.

if the supporters have the right to air there

views then why can't he.he has inheriated

the debts of the club and they are slowly

coming down. would you swap our chairman with

sam hamman (cardiff city).look at them now.

everyone up for offer and in massive debt.

• Admin
he is not saying all the supporters at home

games , just the few that keep booing the team.

if the supporters have the right to air there

views then why can't he.he has inheriated

the debts of the club and they are slowly

coming down. would you swap our chairman with

sam hamman (cardiff city).look at them now.

everyone up for offer and in massive debt.

I don't believe our collective debt is "coming down" as you put it, but I believe the rate at which it's growing is slowing which in itself is commendable as in normal circumstances, once in debt, it often snowballs out of control as many clubs have found. However, at some point we're going to have to find the wherewithall to turn this "slowing down" into debt repayment and I suspect this season's cutbacks are just the start of it.

I can understand his comments from the booing point of view. I've said similar.

But do we have a PR Dept? Is it part-time? The timing is unbeleiveable.

First there's the badge issue, which you may have noticed I am far from happy about.

On top of that, we're trying to sell debentures, I know what'll help shift 'em along ... criticise the fans in the Evil Post. Genius.

The pressure is finally telling on SL.

I have been following BCFC for 37 years both HOME and AWAY and been a Season Ticket Holder for the last 20 odd years, I have always appreciated SL and the board for putting money into the club (although my loans would be INTEREST FREE if I had the amount of money they have, but thats why they are businessmen and I'm not).

I agreed with the sacking of Wilson and the appointment of BT (although there was always the risk of it going pear shaped).

I like the look of the new stand (although I would have liked 2 tiers, but if we can't afford it so be it).

As for the badge debate I personally don't like it (but would we all be moaning about it if we were actually getting what we really want DECENT football).

But to blame the FANS for some of the PATHETIC performances at home this season is just going TOO FAR. Was it not the Manager himself who said if the players can't cope with playing in front of 11,000 at AG they should not be here. The reason the atmosphere is better away from home is because all BCFC fans are in one area and not spaced out all over the stadium (as at AG).

Rant over for now.

BCAGFC

P.s. SL, in business the CUSTOMER is always RIGHT even if you know they are not!.

The £7 debt highlighted in the annual report.

Really? I have the annual report and would be grateful if you could reference where you get that figure from. I was under the impression that the debt was in the form of loans totalling nearer the £2 million mark.

Disagree with your comment that most people on this forum thought Tinnion was the right appointment. Not a chance, A LOT of people (me included) could not believe the naivety of Steve L in appointing Tinnion as manager.

Really? I have the annual report and would be grateful if you could reference where you get that figure from. I was under the impression that the debt was in the form of loans totalling nearer the £2 million mark.

Disagree with your comment that most people on this forum thought Tinnion was the right appointment. Not a chance, A LOT of people (me included) could not believe the naivety of Steve L in appointing Tinnion as manager.

I think I recall a figure of £5.7M, from SL himself on here.

Archived