IGNORED

Baseball

elhombrecito

I seem to remember a fair few baseball fans on here from last season, so who's watching the season opener tonight between the shoddy Yankees and the mighty Sox? Or more specifically Randy Johnson (the Big Unit) against David Wells (no nickname - quite disappointing....).

Should be a cracker so tune into Five at 12:35am..... snack.gif

Guest Pointy

I know this might not be popular but american sport in my opinion is so rubbish! the american super bowl was the most borning thing i think i've ever seen... best bit was the half time show staring paul mcartney.... Enough said

blink.gif

I know this might not be popular but american sport in my opinion is so rubbish! the american super bowl was the most borning thing i think i've ever seen... best bit was the half time show staring paul mcartney.... Enough said

blink.gif

Each to his own. I used to hate American sports too, but once I started following a team and I understood the rules I started to enjoy baseball and American Football a lot more. Now I won't miss a Jets or Sox match when it's on! w00t.gif

Guest MaloneFM

I really really tried to get into baseball but its too insular. I understand the rules and even who Derek Jeter is (number 2 for the Yankees bats right hand, throws right hand, infielder) but I really don't care how many runs he has batted in or what shoe size he is.

If there were more internationals or a time limit put on games rather than we will play till someone dies of boredom, basball would be more user friendly.

Its the same problem with their football. 10 yards? Didn't make it? One whole team off and another whole team on. It lasts for hours.

don't get me started on cricket doh.gif

Guest Pointy

Its the same problem with their football. 10 yards? Didn't make it? One whole team off and another whole team on. It lasts for hours.

And i thought some times our football didnt flow! yeah that was something that annoyed me it was SO stop and start and just basically boring...

Each to his own. I used to hate American sports too, but once I started following a team and I understood the rules I started to enjoy baseball and American Football a lot more. Now I won't miss a Jets or Sox match when it's on!  w00t.gif

But Stu, how can you be passionate about your adopted clubs?.... I feel City in my heart. Never could I feel tthant for the socks/yankees/dodgers/whatever....

• Admin
I seem to remember a fair few baseball fans on here from last season, so who's watching the season opener tonight between the shoddy Yankees and the mighty Sox? Or more specifically Randy Johnson (the Big Unit) against David Wells (no nickname - quite disappointing....).

Should be a cracker so tune into Five at 12:35am.....  snack.gif

I have had a passing interest in Anaheim (formerly California) Angels since watching Naked Gun as a child biggrin.gif

Last season wasn't the best though..... whistling.gif

baseball is played all over world

japan,cuba,mexico,australia as well as usa and canada

nfl is just as popular (nfleurope)plus games played overseas

as for getting involved support wise,yes it takes time,but it can happen

ive followed the dallas cowboys(nfl) for 20 years now,the cleveland indians(mlb) for 13/14,the dallas stars(nhl)

for 9/10 and the dallas mavericks(nba) for nearly 13 years

i feel as much a fan of them as i do city or posh,or any other sports teams i follow

its not everyones cup of tea,i know

it may be "boring" to a lot and if you dislike it,fair enough,but just cus YOU hate it,doesent make it rubbish

I watched the Super Bowl for the first time this year and was bitterly disappointed. Their talent is their to see but it didn't interest me at all.

I watched the All-Star NBA game which was much more entertaining but still not great.

If anyone suggests "Time-Outs" ever in football I will go insane!

When The Bravery were plugging on Soccer A.M the other week I was interested in the lead singers opinion on why proper football isn't big in the USA....

... No room for television adverts.

Says it all!

trust me ,this years sb was poor for a lot of americans/nfl fans as well

last years was the best for a while(pats vs panthers)

other good ones where the broncos vs packers (1998 i think),49ers vs bengals (sb 22,last second td),and ALL 3 cowboys wins (27,28,30)

although that last choice was a bit biased biggrin.giflaugh.gif

I'm a bit of a baseball fan myself but I tend to just follow the scores and read articles on the 'net rather than sit up watching the game live on Channel 5. The problem with watching baseball on TV is that it tends to drag on and so I start to lose interest. I've been to an MLB game in LA, I saw the Dodgers beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 3-0. It was a good day out and the game seems to go so much quicker than it does on TV. I had a great view high-up in the stand behind home plate. If you ever go to a Dodgers game avoid the 'Dodger Dogs' like the plague as they are aweful, the american guy I was sat next to said I had to try a 'Dodger Dog' - I wish I hadn't, it was one of the worst hot-dogs I've ever eaten.

My team in the MLB is the Atlanta Braves, hopefully they can win their division for the 13th season in a row before choking as per usual in the play-offs. I hate the Yankees with a passion - to me they are the Manchester United of american sports.

Basketball is the best american sport by far as it's non-stop excitement all the way. I watch the Channel 5 NBA game every week, New York Knicks are my team in the NBA but are doing rubbish this season and won't even make the play-offs.

Just for the record (and to complete the set), I follow the NY Rangers in the NHL (strike permitting) and I am a fan of the New England Patriots in the NFL (followed them since they were rubbish in the early 90's before they became the all-dominating franchise of today's NFL).

heheheheh y'all need to put down the haterade!

ANYWAY, my team is the San Diego Padres. Unfortunately, we lost our season opener to the Rockies. Oh well, it was 12-10. rolleyes.gif

Though I technically *shouldn't* root for them, I have a little bit of a soft spot for the Chicago Cubs. Most of my family is from Chicago and are Cubbies fans. After each Padres loss we get a phone call from my cousin taunting us about it. He really shouldn't talk though, his little brother is a White Sox supporter!!! What an embarassment to the family! doh.gif

.....Kelly smile.gif

Isn't Anaheim basically an area/suburb of LA anyway ?? 

No, no and NO!! I can't begin to tell you how stupid this name change is! Anaheim isn't even in Los Angeles County!!

Let me explain something to you all. For seven years, I lived in Long Beach, which is just inside the Los Angeles side of the Los Angeles/Orange County border line. (In other words, I lived within LA County, but I literally lived a few blocks away from Orange County.) The idea that lots of people from Los Angeles are going to drive all the way over to Anaheim instead of supporting the Dodgers is one of the most asinine things I've heard of in recent times.

First off, LA and OC are two very different counties....they each have a very different vibe. We even have two TV shows about Orange County over here! With that said, people who live in cities in the south of LA county (as I did) might have a tendency to support the Anaheim Angels as, understandably, one will identify with a team they are much closer to geographically. After all, Dodger Stadium was one heck of a drive (1hr+ in nasty traffic) from where I lived. But, even I, who lived right on the border, would have to drive 30 minutes to Anaheim if I wanted to go see the Anaheim Angels! The bottom line is that most people who live in LA are Dodgers fans and aren't going to switch. Those Angelenos from the southern areas which border OC, who would be Anaheim fans, ALREADY ARE. So really, not only is there no net gain as far as the Angels' gates are concerned, but now the name change makes them look like a bunch of idiots.

To bring it home for you all, this would be like changing BCFC to Bristol City Football Club of Cardiff because "we'll be able to gain fans from nearby Wales". Or Wimbledon Football Club of Milton Keynes (oh wait, that's been done already....)

Errr! Stupid!

.....Kelly ranting.gif

Guest David Courtney
Ok, so the Sox lost - ah well, still 161 games to go!  biggrin.gif

But they did score 5 in the top of the 9th tonight to avoid the sweep against the yankees !

It made for good listening on MLB gameday as they were 3 outs away from losing heading into the top of the inning.

I agree with culverhays that you can feel the same about an adopted team as you do about city, especially when you have been following that team for years on end.

I have followed the Red Sox since 1986 and I follow them just as closely as I do city (the season ticket apart).

I have been over to watch a number of Sox games in various cities in the states and canada,and have probably been more sox games than most of your plastic premier fans from your local pub have seen their team play in the flesh - you know the type - always wearing the Man U/Arsenal/liverpool shirt and have never set foot inside that teams ground.

The common response, such as the one from Phatwill, generally stems from people not understanding the rules or the nature of the game. I get it from my mates all the time.

No, no and NO!!  I can't begin to tell you how stupid this name change is! Anaheim isn't even in Los Angeles County!!

Let me explain something to you all. For seven years, I lived in Long Beach, which is just inside the Los Angeles side of the Los Angeles/Orange County border line. (In other words, I lived within LA County, but I literally lived a few blocks away from Orange County.) The idea that lots of people from Los Angeles are going to drive all the way over to Anaheim instead of supporting the Dodgers is one of the most asinine things I've heard of in recent times.

First off, LA and OC are two very different counties....they each have a very different vibe.  We even have two TV shows about Orange County over here!  With that said, people who live in cities in the south of LA county (as I did) might have a tendency to support the Anaheim Angels as, understandably, one will identify with a team they are much closer to geographically.  After all, Dodger Stadium was one heck of a drive (1hr+ in nasty traffic) from where I lived.  But, even I, who lived right on the border, would have to drive 30 minutes to Anaheim if I wanted to go see the Anaheim Angels!  The bottom line is that most people who live in LA are Dodgers fans and aren't going to switch.  Those Angelenos from the southern areas which border OC, who would be Anaheim fans, ALREADY ARE.  So really, not only is there no net gain as far as the Angels' gates are concerned, but now the name change makes them look like a bunch of idiots.

To bring it home for you all, this would be like changing BCFC to Bristol City Football Club of Cardiff because "we'll be able to gain fans from nearby Wales". Or Wimbledon Football Club of Milton Keynes (oh wait, that's been done already....)

Errr!  Stupid!

.....Kelly  ranting.gif

Kelly - thanks for clearing that up, it makes the name change seem even more ludicrous !! wacko.gif

Have you ever been to Dodger stadium ?? If so, what is your opinion of those awful 'Dodger Dogs' they sell ??

But they did score 5 in the top of the 9th tonight to avoid the sweep against the yankees !

It made for good listening on MLB gameday as they were 3 outs away from losing heading into the top of the inning.

I havn't had a chance to see the Sox in action, due to me only starting to follow baseball over the past couple of years (great time to start supporting the Sox really..... w00t.gif ) and because I'm skint. I'd love to watch a game at Fenway though!

Definately agreed, it's possible to feel passionate about 'adopted teams' such as baseball or NFL teams - you should have seen me when Nate Kaeding missed an easy FG to keep the Jets in the play-offs last year..... from this crying.gif to this -----> w00t.gif

Have you ever been to Dodger stadium ?? If so, what is your opinion of those awful 'Dodger Dogs' they sell ??

hahaha....no, I haven't ever been to Dodgers game; BUT, I can tell you that the word on the street is that Dodger Dogs are terrible! biggrin.gif If you come out here to San Diego, I'll treat you to a "Friar Frank"! As a matter of fact, earlier this year, the San Diego Padres set up cooking stations all around the city and let people taste test the two proposed hotdogs. The one the people voted for is the one which got picked. Plus, they're now cooking them on a flat grill instead of boiling them. snack.gif

.....Kelly smile.gif

Incidentally, just watched the video clip of Jeter getting flattened by Timlin. Havn't laughed so hard in a long time!  laugh.gif God, I hate that man.....  devil.gif

Aww man, I missed it! I'll have to go rustle up a clip to see what you're talking about.

Though, I have to admit - I don't like the Yankees; but, as a female, it's hard not to like Jeter. I think he's the only thing worth watching the Yankees for. wub.gif

.....Kelly smile.gif

Archived