IGNORED

Baseball

elhombrecito

Having lived in the States for three years when I was a kid I've always enjoyed Baseball and NFL. I don't really have a team as such in baseball, but I'm as passionate about the Miami Dolphins as I am about City.

We're nearly at my favourite time of the year when for a few weeks my three favourite sports are all going at once - football, cricket, and American football. Shame I seem to suffer equal misery with all three! banghead.gif

Any perspective fans should give baseball a watch tonight. Tune in at 12.50am to watch some MLB action. Most listings say it is Boston vs Anaheim, but they aren't playing tonight, so i am not sure what game it will be, but it will be worth a watch chant6ez.gif

Boston are currently playing Tampa so it's definately not Boston vs Anaheim!

My guess would be the Phillies @ Astros match-up as thats the only game starting at 1:05 our time. Unless they're showing a game off tape like they did last week.....

My guess would be the Phillies @ Astros match-up as thats the only game starting at 1:05 our time. Unless they're showing a game off tape like they did last week.....

I would like to watch Houston, they are HOT at the moment and have some awesome pitchers. They are definetly my prediction for the NL wild card

I would like to watch Houston, they are HOT at the moment and have some awesome pitchers. They are definetly my prediction for the NL wild card

The Braves will get the NL wild-card spot if they don't beat the Nationals to the NL East division title. The main man Chipper Jones is back now and Atlanta have just the won the first 2 games of a 3 game series against the Nationals so it's all good.

Go Braves !!

The Braves will get the NL wild-card spot if they don't beat the Nationals to the NL East division title. The main man Chipper Jones is back now and Atlanta have just the won the first 2 games of a 3 game series against the Nationals so it's all good.

Go Braves !!

To be honest, i think your Braves will win the NL East, for the 8th (i think) year in a row. I think Washington will be there or thereabouts for the NL Wildcard, but with Houston having Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte, i cannot see them failing, plus they have a pretty decent offence too!

While i was at Keynsham vs City academy this evening, something wonderful happened. I spotted a guy in a Giants hat, and as i had mine on too, and he spotted me, there was a mutual sense of solidarity. We had a little chat and shoke hands, he was a thoroughly nice chap, originating from the USA. I suppose that makes San Fran the most supported side by City fans as that brings the total to 2 biggrin.gif I think that is just about the only thing the Giants will be leading in this season though crying.gif

While i was at Keynsham vs City academy this evening, something wonderful happened. I spotted a guy in a Giants hat, and as i had mine on too, and he spotted me, there was a mutual sense of solidarity. We had a little chat and shoke hands, he was a thoroughly nice chap, originating from the USA. I suppose that makes San Fran the most supported side by City fans as that brings the total to 2  biggrin.gif  I think that is just about the only thing the Giants will be leading in this season though crying.gif

Sorry T-I-G the Giants can't even lead that category ........ JudgeRed on here also supports the mighty Braves razz.gif

I used to have no interest in baseball until in may this year i went to Chicago and New York following England in their mini tour.

Whilst there i went to Wrigley Field the day of a game (couldn't watch it as it was the same day England played the Yanks,) and saw the Yankees play the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. It was the day after we got pasted 17-1 and we lost 7-2, with Moose having a shocker and Wells playing fantastic.

Since then i've kept up to date with all the Yankees results and watching some of their games on NASN. My knowledge of the game is still limited but i get along quite well with it. I still don't know what they mean by RBI and there's a lot of players/teams i know nothing about.

Oh and Stu, as the venders at Yankee Stadium shouted. "THERE NEVER WAS A CURSE, THE RED SOXS JUST SUCKED." razz.gif

I still don't know what they mean by RBI and there's a lot of players/teams i know nothing about.

RBI = run batted in.

For example, if there's someone on a base when the batter gets a hit and that runner gets home for a run then the batter gets credited with an RBI.

Hope this helps! (and I like that TXT SPK thing by the way!)

RBI = run batted in.

For example, if there's someone on a base when the batter gets a hit and that runner gets home for a run then the batter gets credited with an RBI.

Hope this helps! (and I like that TXT SPK thing by the way!)

So like an assist almost?

The txt spk was nicked from someone off www.thefootballforum.net

Madness! He is doing quite well. Do you know anything about that random starter you had, he seemed to do pretty well. I expect the White Sox will win tonight, as the Orioles are 1-9 in their last 10!

Nope, not a clue. A true random. Not even a mention of him at the Pawtucket AAA site so he's obviously not from there. dunno.gif Standing ovation though appartently.

Good to see Manny getting getting the game winning RBI, looks like he's staying! biggrin.gif

Yeah, lets hope Chigago do the business tonight - and I can't see any other result to be honest.

Good to see Manny getting getting the game winning RBI, looks like he's staying! 

The Manny situation gets more and more interesting every day! He has always expressed a wish to play in New York, so i was not surprised with the links to the Mets. Imagine the Mets' outfield with Manny and Beltran! (Although Beltran is over-rated)

I think it would be disastrous for Boston to lose him, he is one of, if not the, best clutch hitter in the game today. His season average is .275, yet with RISP it is .320ish- astonishing difference.

Yeah, lets hope Chigago do the business tonight - and I can't see any other result to be honest.

Do you usually watch the games live or off tape the next day?

Do you usually watch the games live or off tape the next day?

Depends on how tired I am, and what interest I've got in the game. Tonight I'll be watching live. The best team in baseball against a BoSox rival - has to be done live. snack.gif

We definately need to keep hold of Manny, although I would have said that we needed to keep Nomar..... whistling.gif

Anything happening in the Trade Deadline with your lot?

Anything happening in the Trade Deadline with your lot?

Yep. We have signed Randy Winn, a center fielder from Seattle. He has a decent average, around .280, but he is not a home run hitter, which is what we need more than anything right now. Pedro Feliz has hit 17 for us, Alou 13, which is nowhere near enough for our two 'power guys'.

We traded Winn for Foppert, a good young pitcher, and i am a little annoyed to see him go, as i think he has potential.

Any new signings on the horizon for Boston? How does it feel to have Yankee Olerud at 1st base? I also thought Embree to Yankees was an incredibly random trade.

Not too worried about ex-Yanks as long as they do the job. Wells for instance has done really well this year.

The transaction (as they so romantically like to call them) I'm most excited about is the return of Gabe Kapler. biggrin.gif

MLB on now......with an NBA host and NFL summeriser! blink.gif

MLB on now......with an NBA host and NFL summeriser! 

I know it is really annoying, it is not half as good without Johnny and Dave. My prediction is CWS 7-4 Baltimore, and Podsednink to get at least 2 steals- that man is a steal machine! I hope Tejada hits well, he is an awesome player when he is on song.

I know it is really annoying, it is not half as good without Johnny and Dave.

Well at least we got a glimpse of Josh...!

Two good strong pitchers on the mound tonight - should be a cracker (cue the most boring game of ball in history..)

Would be good to see Tejada hitting well, aslong as it doesn't bring a Orioles victory whistling.gif

Two good strong pitchers on the mound tonight - should be a cracker (cue the most boring game of ball in history..)

Not exactly a pitching duel so far, 5-0 in the middle of the first! I am glad that i can fully go for CWS as A.J. Pierzinski (sp) isn't playing. He was basically kicked out of the Giants last year for having poor defence and a bad attitude, although he seems to be settling in Chicago. It is strange how a team that play like an NL team- steals, sac flies etch are leading the AL! In my view the NL produces better baseball anyway, its not just full of sluggers!

Good news for you and your fellow red sox- Manny is officially staying.

I have just watched the Giants beat LA 3-1 on Gameday biggrin.gif Right- I am going to go back on my word and predict the Giants to win the NL West- and here is why:

-Noah Lowry is awesome. Since the start of July he is 6-0 with an ERA of under 1. He has the best ERA of a starter post-all star, around 1.70.

-Jason Schmidt- Finally picking up form, 5-0 of late. ERA still a little high, but is pitching like the ace he is

-Matt Cain- THE next big thing in basbell. Although he has had just 2 starts, his ERA is 2.25. He started in the All Star Futures game last year and is just 20. He could set the world alight.

-Our bullpen- Simply superb of late, Eyre, Hawkins and youngsters such as Munter and Taschner putting in good performances

-Benitez is back, pitching well, any recorded 6 straight saves

So, the pitching is sorted. Even guys such as Hennessey and Correia are doing a good enough job at the moment, especially considering they are 4th/5th starters

-Superb defence- Vizquel,Winn, Durham and Matheny are all excellent, and help us record outs most teams don't

-Bonds might be back, even this week. This would give our season another boost, and he could be vital

-Alou, Winn and Durham are all hot. Alou is finally hitting well, and Randy Winn has been a revelation, hitting HRs, doubles and triples galore

-We have won 6 straight- the hottest team in baseball, now just 5 games behind the Padres

-After our series with LA, we have an 11 game homestand, which we could really cash in on

-We have SEVEN games left against San Diego, which makes that 5 game lead look slim

-In our last 27 games we only play one team with a winning record (over .500)

Maybe i am being optimistic, but i think this could be worth an outside bet.

Guest scrumpy dare
I have had a passing interest in Anaheim (formerly California) Angels since watching Naked Gun as a child  biggrin.gif

Last season wasn't the best though.....  whistling.gif

cus they came up against the mighty red sox

Archived