IGNORED

Best Supporter On The Forum

reddoc

Ok, curiosity got the better of me and have to know where this 'I'm a better supporter than you are' mentality has evolved from on this site. Can understand that within the confines of the playground this kind of banter is bound to occur but if I'm gauging ages correctly, appears to me that some of the more vociferous of the 'don't waste your time coming to watch my team' brigage unless you've seen every game since Clemant Atley was outside left are probably not much younger than me, and perusing other sites including City ones can't find anywhere where this attitude exists , let alone prevails in the way it does here.

Elsewhere likeminded supporters would appear to embrace one another(in an entirely masculine way}have their differences argued in a constructive/anything but kind of way but walk away knowing that they are dealing with a fellow supporter of their team and without having a broad fan base of people who will attend sporadically during the season income for the club will fall and with it the potential for the club to succeed.

I've always felt a bit daft trying to justify my reasons for following this club around the country usually with two daughters in tow, visiting far distant undesirable places, losing predictably, feeding them out of service stations and then claiming we've had a great day out. In my own mind the justification came from the fact that the team may let you down but the City following never did and I was part of a bigger thing, a group that felt what I felt, shared the occasional high, wept inwardly at the repeated lows, regrouped and returned next week.

However having received the mandatory part time retoric from super Robbo this week just wondered if I was wrong. For me the players come and go, likewise board and occasionally bits of ground. However the pride I feel from supporting the City revolves around the fans and the knowledge that when I travel I will always be surrounded by likeminded delusional fools who like me have an understanding that success would be an unexpected surprise, but when we all dream together, who knows?

Personally still feel part of a bigger thing but would love to know why some of you want to fragment it...

I enjoy the away days best as the atmosphere is totally different to at home. Whatever the score may be the fans get behind the team. Plus I like meeting fans from different clubs and sharing opinions on different players. We have met and kept in touch with many football fans through going to away games and on the net. It makes you feel fortunate that we are still a big club in proportion to other clubs in this division who have little money and a small fan base. We don't know how lucky we are!

I think the best supporter on this forum is the fan who supports the club in the way they feel appropriate and invests as much time and money into that support as they can readily afford.

I think the best supporter on this forum is the fan who supports the club in the way they feel appropriate and invests as much time and money into that support as they can readily afford.

Took me bloody ages to write that. Thanks Neo think that sums things up nicely.

• Admin

I bet there are quite a few who have supported in the way they feel appropriate and still spent more than they can readily afford. End of season credit card bill anyone?

Guest taipan

Interesting that "support" seems to be interpreted as "financial support".

Is the best supporter not the poor man who spends what he can spare, fifteen a week, to watch the team each and every Saturday, and is always loyal and supportive, rather than the well-off man who buys the merchandise and has ammenities like the "internet", but uses that luxury to criticise the club...

Something else taipan finds interesting is the notion of 'part-time supporter' abuse. Example being the "where did the other 20,000 come from?" comments around the playoff final etc. Would you prefer to see the same crowd as a regular home game? Costing the club 60-70% of potential revenue? Interesting.

On a side note, taipan is clearly the best member of the forum.

Guest Tactical Genius
Interesting that "support" seems to be interpreted as "financial support".

Is the best supporter not the poor man who spends what he can spare, fifteen a week, to watch the team each and every Saturday, and is always loyal and supportive, rather than the well-off man who buys the merchandise and has ammenities like the "internet", but uses that luxury to criticise the club...

Something else taipan finds interesting is the notion of 'part-time supporter' abuse. Example being the "where did the other 20,000 come from?" comments around the playoff final etc. Would you prefer to see the same crowd as a regular home game? Costing the club 60-70% of potential revenue? Interesting.

On a side note, taipan is clearly the best member of the forum.

Agree with nearly all of that, except you spelt Tactical Genius wrong in your last sentence.

The partimer issue is not so much about how you support City but more to do with when you support them.

Of course some fans can't afford season tickets or afford to get to every home game and being selective on which games you watch is natural if you are in that position.No-one has a problem with that at all.

The real partimer issue for me is when so called "fans" abandon the team when they are doing badly and yet turn up when the team is doing well.Its nothing to do with finaces is most cases, its simply fickleness.These types are imo partime and fairweather "fans".

I can't do that and I find hard to understand those that do.No matter how City are doing, I turn up rain or shine.I'd feel guilty if I didn't go and I feel that the club need supporters like me who will remain loyal no matter how things are going.To not show just because City have lost a few games and are playing poorly simply wouldn't occur to me.

People are sarcastic toward me on here with "superfan" jibes and so on but I'm not a superfan,I'm just passionate about watching my team play.

The partimer issue is not so much about how you support City but more to do with when you support them.

Of course some fans can't afford season tickets or afford to get to every home game and being selective on which games you watch is natural if you are in that position.No-one has a problem with that at all.

The real partimer issue for me is when so called "fans" abandon the team when they are doing badly and yet turn up when the team is doing well.Its nothing to do with finaces is most cases, its simply fickleness.These types are imo partime and fairweather "fans".

I can't do that and I find hard to understand those that do.No matter how City are doing, I turn up rain or shine.I'd feel guilty if I didn't go and I feel that the club need supporters like me who will remain loyal no matter how things are going.To not show just because City have lost a few games and are playing poorly simply wouldn't occur to me.

People are sarcastic toward me on here with "superfan" jibes and so on but I'm not a superfan,I'm just passionate about watching my team play.

The king of all fans has arrived, we are not worthy!

Guest Slinky
The king of all fans has arrived, we are not worthy!

Rather than just insulting Robbored, why not tell him which bit of his post you don't agree with? As what he's said seems fair enough to me.

Guest Tactical Genius

But Slinky, to listen to the **** you'd think he was the only one there in 1982. He makes such a fuss about it I wonder if he was ever there at all.

But Slinky, to listen to the **** you'd think he was the only one there in 1982. He makes such a fuss about it I wonder if he was ever there at all.

When have ever I ever "made a fuss" about being "there" in 1982?

I can't remember mentioning 1982 in any posts.

So what?  So they are not loyal fans.Loyal fans turn up no matter how the team are doing.

Yes, but so what?

Every pastime will have it's fanatic followers and its more passive ones.

You may enjoy trainspotting and stand at Temple Meads every day collecting train numbers, or you may just go when there is a steam special - in either instance you would be a train enthusiast and there is room for all.

Archived