IGNORED

Enlightenment Re: The Wedlocks

Bar BS3

Hi, my name is Rob & I'm the Landlord at THE SHIP & CASTLE, Ashton.

I took over the pub last year as all our regular customers will know.(hello to you all!)

I know Stuart, the recently departed Landlord of the Wedlocks fairly well from my time when i used to PLay for the Wedlocks football team when it first formed about 8 years ago now.

Being neighbouring Landlords in a trade as tough as this one to make a success of any pub nowadays is a huge challenge, and we have spoken about good and bad times alot, especially recently.

I hope he will not mind me letting you all know the latest situation with his old pub, and i'll keep it brief!

Firstly i know that he loved it there, for a long time and was heart broken at being forced out. i know he would like me to pass on his thanks and best wishes to all that used the pub and supported him in his time there.

Stu was at the Wedlocks for about nine Years. the brewery that owned the pub changed recently, and immedietly imposed huge rent increases and made it immpossible to stay. ( yes, they stitched him up!)

Stu has since become a welcome familiar face in the Ship & Castle and brought alot of his old customers with him. He has instigated the move of their two pools teams to my pub aswell and he Knows how grateful i am to him for that.

Here at THE SHIP & CASTLE we have worked very hard to make this a great pub, and those who use us will, i hope! tell you that it has come along way from the days of old.

A quick plug to let you know what we offer - Great beer, friendly fun staff, sky sports including all Premplus matches shown on excellent 6ft Cinescreen, matchday 4 pt pitchers, beer garden, B.B.Q area. Pool, Darts teams (Mens & Ladies) Karaoke every Friday, Live music on Saturdays & much much more...

Anyway, ive intoduced myself now, and now ive got this new comp i should get to post reasonably regularly as I'm a season ticket holder of 10 years and like to discuss the City as much as you all seem to.

No doubt Stu will be here regularly from now on so anyone who would like to come and say hi, i know he would really appreciate it.

I look forward to seeing some, most, or maybee even all of you next season.

Or before for Karaoke or music if you live locally.

All the best, Rob. englandsmile4wf.gif

My old man used to own the ship (whitening yard) when city were in the old first division.

All the away team supporters coaches were parked down there on a sat afternoon.

If i remember correctly man u brought down 73 coaches one sat they completly filled the trading estate up,used to be fun trying to get through the away supporters with out showing my scarf and city shirt.

Has the pub still got that little room just out the back of the bar or has it been knocked through now?

Thanks for the update Rob

Not been in the Ship for years but will have to pay it a visit!

I'll look forward to it.

Infact we get a couple of your guys from the submarine Crew in sometimes after a few games last season and they said that they liked it here.

Hope to see you here next season then! if you and the other lads fancy giving me a ring maybee we could sort out some sponsorship for shirts or a huge flag or something if you are interested in a new base.

Cheers, Rob

we will visit you rob epecially if you still got that sexy female gashead working for you (claire) farmer.gif

Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it.! yes we still got here here.

She is working today & i just told her about this message, she says she knows who you are!

She's looking forward to some more lively banter with you down here next season, if not sooner.

Cheers Mate.

Thanks for the update. Do you know what happening to the Wedlocks?

Hi Robbored,

As usual with anything to do with a pub, there are loads of rumours flying around about whats happening with it!

I have heard the one about City using it as a supporters club but have been asured that is deffinitly not true.

Being turned into flats, but i can't see that.

The most viable one i have heard is that the guy who was on the brink of buying the Rising sun has pulled out at the 11th hour because the pub is owned by the same brewery and he has been given better terms on the wedlocks.

(so another stitch up then!)

if i find out more ill post on here.

Cheers, Rob.

I usually go in the Luckwell but since that was being refurbished me and my dad have been coming to your pub and i think it's great pub it looks small from outside but it's massive inside!

Thanks, i'm glad you like it.

Hope to see you and your dad down again for many seasons to come then.

Cheers, Rob.

My old man used to own the ship (whitening yard) when city were in the old first division.

All the away team supporters coaches were parked down there on a sat afternoon.

If i remember correctly man u brought down 73 coaches one sat they completly filled the trading estate up,used to be fun trying to get through the away supporters with out showing my scarf and city shirt.

Has the pub still got that little room just out the back of the bar or has it been knocked through now?

Come on down & See!

We have the main bar that runs through into the Skittle alley, which we convert into a level floor room on Matchdays with big screen sports showing. That then leads into the patio beer garden. on the other side of the pub is the lounge bar.

Away coaches don't park down here any more either usually, so never any trouble with away fans, and generally we are home fans only inside.

Cheers, Rob.

• Admin

A quick plug to let you know what we offer - Great beer, friendly fun staff, sky sports including all Premplus matches shown on excellent 6ft Cinescreen, matchday 4 pt pitchers, beer garden, B.B.Q area. Pool, Darts teams (Mens & Ladies) Karaoke every Friday, Live music on Saturdays & much much more...

I'm gobsmacked, a blatant advert for the Whitening Yard and not one mention of cider........... don't tell me you've stopped selling it? (and I don't count that fizzy chemical Blackthorn rubbish as cider)

I've some great memories of that pub from the 70's & 80's ( I was captain of the pool team for a while, but half the team wouldn't go to the away games if they didn't sell rough, darts team was the same). Character called Clive was the Landlord at the time.

I'm gobsmacked, a blatant advert for the Whitening Yard and not one mention of cider........... don't tell me you've stopped selling it? (and I don't count that fizzy chemical Blackthorn rubbish as cider)

I've some great memories of that pub from the 70's & 80's ( I was captain of the pool team for a while, but half the team wouldn't go to the away games if they didn't sell rough, darts team was the same).  Character called Clive was the Landlord at the time.

doh.gif Sorry mate, thats a fine point you have raised!!

Yes we sell Taunton Traditional, rough cider. Aswell as the usuall Blackthorn & Natch.

We have Two good pool teams with great turn out for home and away games now, pop down next Wednesday when we are home next if you like and maybee join up if you fancy it.

All the best, Rob

• Admin
doh.gif Sorry mate, thats a fine point you have raised!!

Yes we sell Taunton Traditional, rough cider. Aswell as the usuall Blackthorn & Natch.

Phew.... thats a relief biggrin.gif

We have Two good pool teams with great turn out for home and away games now, pop down next thursday when we are home next if you like and maybee join up if you fancy it.

All the best, Rob

I don't play pool now, but I will drop in to see Stuart, when the season starts you'll have to get him into the kitchen to make one of his infamous aprés match curries. (Bog roll in the fridge time laugh.gif )

Give him my regards,

Chris

I've frequented the Ship & Castle over the past few seasons for the odd pre-match pint. I highly recommend the Taunton Traditional cider - a good cider for loosening ye olde vocal chords ready to cheer on Bristol's REDZZZZZ.

Cheers Mr Ship & Castle landlord, and may we have more to cheer about this season than last. city.gif

My In laws are down the ship and castle alot on a Saturday night playing darts with my wifes aunt and uncle.

They have told me it's\much improved and as an Ashton Vale resident, I may be paying it a visit very soon as I am a regular in the Robins but gets to busy for my liking on a match day. We were going to the Luckwell, but that closed for refurbushment.

Over the summer the Ship and Castle could be seeing me, very soon infact !

MM

My In laws are down the ship and castle alot on a Saturday night playing darts with my wifes aunt and uncle.

They have told me it's\much improved and as an Ashton Vale resident, I may be paying it a visit very soon as I am a regular in the Robins but gets to busy for my liking on a match day. We were going to the Luckwell, but that closed for refurbushment.

Over the summer the Ship and Castle could be seeing me, very soon infact !

MM

Thank you, please pass on my regards to your in laws, i know who you mean and thay are a lovely group of people.

If you are planning on coming down soon, you may be interested in a race night we are having here this bank Holiday Sunday, starts at 8pm.

see you soon, all the best

Rob.

Do you serve Pimms young man?

And a well stocked library?

I suppose that now we are coming into the summer months I should make sure we have it in stock again. I have to admit thatit probably won't ever be the most popular drink here, although several of our young lady regulars have also asked me so I'm off to get some today!

Cheers, Rob

I always enjoy a pre-match pint in the Ship and service has definately improved over the past year. You've not run out of pint glasses for a long time!

Thanks, we do try our best. I was drinking here for years on matchdays before taking it over, so one of the first things i did was buy 3 times as many glasses!!

Cheers, Rob.

Stupid question I realise, but as a non Bristolian City fan, where is the pub, cant say I know it at all.

not stupid atall mate, alot of people don't know we are here until they have actually come to us, this is why we have to work so hard to make it a place people want to come to.

The address is Ashton Vale Road, Ashton, BS3 2HA.

we are basicaly over the dual carriageway from Cruikshank Mercedes., Just over the railway line That is just off the Williams Stand side of Winterstoke Road. Takes about 2 - 3 mins to walk to from the Atyeo.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Rob

not stupid atall mate, alot of people don't know we are here until they have actually come to us, this is why we have to work so hard to make it a place people want to come to.

The address is Ashton Vale Road, Ashton, BS3 2HA.

we are basicaly over the dual carriageway from Cruikshank Mercedes., Just over the railway line That is just off the Williams Stand side of Winterstoke Road. Takes about 2 - 3 mins to walk to from the Atyeo.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Rob

Top man, will pay you a visit first time I'm down.not a fan of Wedlocks or the Robins and the other ones are bloody paked to the gunnels

Cheers Rob.

Guest 2 acres red

i am in division 4 pool team the cartwheel at whitchurch we had to play the wedlocks but they droped out now i know the reason i was also drawn to play two people from the wedlocks in cup doubles comp again never showed for your reasons stated nice to see you back in the league we will be playing you in winter league . how did the wurzel night go ship and castle.

i am in division 4 pool team the cartwheel at whitchurch we had to play the wedlocks but they droped out now i know the reason i was also drawn to play two people from the wedlocks in cup doubles comp again never showed for your reasons stated nice to see you back in the league we will be playing you in winter league . how did the wurzel night go ship and castle.

We will see you then no doubt.

The Wurzels last sunday was absolutly amazing, packed to the rafters, brilliant atmosphere. They said themselves one of the best gigs for a long time.

So good we have booked them in again for Sunday 6TH November, tickets will be on sale soon.

Cheers, Rob

Archived