IGNORED

Ashton Gate Mayhem

Show Me The Money!

Tried coming home (St Annes) from my folks (Nailsea) last night at about 7pm and it was absolute hell. Cars absolutely everywhere and half of Bristol, especially round Temple Meads in gridlock.

This for only 20,000 fans.

If we ever get to the prem or establish ourselves in the Championship we've got to get ourselves a new ground as I don't think the roads can cope around ashton gate its ridiculous.

I dread what its going to be like when that new arena opens near temple meads.

Our council needs to pull its bloody finger out and sort out our citys transport links and let us build a new ground that people can actually get too and get away from on the same day.

Whoever decided to get rid of the flyover and put in that bloody TempleGate roundabout needs shooting.

Arrgh!!!!! banghead.gif

Anyway hope those who went enjoyed the show and there lovely surroundings

Rant over

Guest WillsbridgeRed

There is nothing wrong with the stadium if a good transport infrastrcture is in place.

For example, there's numerous busses and trains available to City fans, but how many actually use them?

Very few.

The football club should sit down with First, Bristol City, South Glos and North Somerset council to discuss transport options available if we get to a higher level with bigger crowds.

Guest alex1089

I was very very annoyed about the flyover being taken away for a stupid roundabout which has made Bristol even worse for traffic. The flyover was so much better and me and dad were close to doing a protest to stop it from happening!

Tried coming home (St Annes) from my folks (Nailsea) last night at about 7pm and it was absolute hell. Cars absolutely everywhere and half of Bristol, especially round Temple Meads in gridlock.

This for only 20,000 fans.

If we ever get to the prem or establish ourselves in the Championship we've got to get ourselves a new ground as I don't think the roads can cope around ashton gate its ridiculous.

I dread what its going to be like when that new arena opens near temple meads.

Our council needs to pull its bloody finger out and sort out our citys transport links and let us build a new ground that people can actually get too and get away from on the same day.

Whoever decided to get rid of the flyover and put in that bloody TempleGate roundabout needs shooting.

Arrgh!!!!!  banghead.gif

Anyway hope those who went enjoyed the show and there lovely surroundings

Rant over

I've been to Readings ground about three times and each time I have sat about an hour and half in the car park trying to get out.

Likewise it only takes me 20minutes to get home to Kingswood on a match day, even when we have crowds near the 20thousand mark.

As others have said, the infrastructure of transport links needs upgrading. If Cardiff can manage to bus in 70thousand fans for the Millennium stadium then surely we should be able to do the same for 20thousand fans at AG.

Or perhaps it was the knock on effect of an accident on the Long Ashton bypass.

That occured about 5.25pm and subsequently caused most of the mayhem for people traveling home from work.. which had a knock on effect for the concert goers...

Or perhaps it was the knock on effect of an accident on the Long Ashton bypass.

That occured about 5.25pm and subsequently caused most of the mayhem for people traveling home from work.. which had a knock on effect for the concert goers...

Thanks for that Black Thunder. I didn't know that.

Still wish we had the flyover back

Thanks for that Black Thunder. I didn't know that.

Still wish we had the flyover back

Intresting to read Chris's report somewhere else - as he points out, most of the people there were newcomers to Ashton Gate.. when he left he said all the common rat runs and short cuts were clear.

20k regular attendances wouldn't be a problem imo, its when 20k worth of new visitors arrive its the problem.

And on that note, I'll put a diary entry in for Friday 1st July under the heading 'Bike it to work' laugh.gif

There is nothing wrong with the stadium if a good transport infrastrcture is in place.

For example, there's numerous busses and trains available to City fans, but how many actually use them?

Very few.

The football club should sit down with First, Bristol City, South Glos and North Somerset council to discuss transport options available if we get to a higher level with bigger crowds.

I keep hearing rumblings about a bus from the town centre to the Gate - which would benefit me - but can never find any details about it (aside from a sentence about it on the main site).

Might be helpful if the club advertised that a bit more on the main site and in the match day programme.

Does anyone use this service?

The park and ride, whilst a good idea, could do with being a bit cheaper too.

And if we ever needed to I'm sure the option would be there to get trains going to Parson Street station, with a bit of investment.

Very few.

What services are currently available that are designed specifically with the football fan in mind? Do they comprise entirely of those knackered old buses that start in Brislington(?) and go to Ashton Gate via Temple Meads and the Hippodrome?

I don't think any of the local train services from the West stop at either Bedminster or Parson Street anymore on a Saturday.

I keep hearing rumblings about a bus from the town centre to the Gate - which would benefit me - but can never find any details about it (aside from a sentence about it on the main site).

Might be helpful if the club advertised that a bit more on the main site and in the match day programme.

Does anyone use this service?

The park and ride, whilst a good idea, could do with being a bit cheaper too.

And if we ever needed to I'm sure the option would be there to get trains going to Parson Street station, with a bit of investment.

It leaves the stop opposite the Hippodrome at approx 2pm on a matchday. £1 return.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

No we're not.

Within 10 years City will have a modern 30,000 stadium.

Both clubs recognise there is a long term need for a new development, but lets face it, whereever it is NIMBY will get involved, and the council would be obliged to take thier view into account.

I left work at 4 and was home by 4:30. No traffic or accidents.  By 6:30-ish it was chaos.

I wish the flyover was back. I work near Temple Meads and it's a nightmare.

MM

This is BCC for you to a tee. That flyover worked effectively and smoothly for 15-20 years but NO we have to have a flipping roundabout that pushes you around a one way system that you previously didn't need to do.

Its like them putting traffic lights at the end of Corrination Road by the storage building - they could have a put a pelican crossing which would allow only brief stops in traffic flow. But NO they have to put a full set of lights which stay red for about 30 seconds and subsequently stuff the traffic up on the A370 and all the way back down Corrination Road.

Lets not even get started on those by the Mercedes Garage rofl2br.gif

Guest pentlandsl

If we ever get to the stage of regular 20000+ crowds then the club need to use a bit of imagination to solve the problem.

A couple of years ago I went to Leeds for a Euefa Cup match against Spartak Moscow as I was working there on a short term contract.

Leeds Utd own a small fleet of really old double decker busses that take you from the center of Leeds (outside a large multi-storey carpark and close to the railway station) right to the ground and then pick you up after the match and take you back. They charged £1 for this service. It was used by thousands of supporters. The queues were well marshalled and there was no trouble.

That is the sort of lateral thinking the club will need to employ.

The traffic has been extra bad as the wells rd is closed, by the black lion pub, since 10th June for 10 days of roadworks. All the wells road traffic has been using the bath road = Gridlock both ways, in and out of the city! I am sandwiched inbetween the 2 roads! sad.gif It seems worse going out of the city. Tailbacks from temple meads to Hicks gate at keynsham, and don't attempt callington road!

Just looked out, Bath Rd busy but moving!

Traffic report over! biggrin.gif

Just behind Ashton Gate is a railway line - infact there are two!

One of them is used for frieght, and goes from the mainline by Bedminster all the way out to Avonmouth. The other line is the old Steam line that runs along the river Avon heading towards Redcliffe and then into the docks.

If City were to make it into the Prem, or even if we just wanted to use this as a park and ride rail transport option - surely it should be looked at to maybe install a station by Ashton Gate for use on matchdays? The trains could run from either the Docks to Ashton Gate - or Temple meads (or Parkway) to Ashton Gate, and local services could extend there too for matchdays?

This would obiously be down to City, Railtrack and the Council working together (which is very unlikly!) but its an option which I would probably use if it was done right to save having to try and park in Ashton.

Just behind Ashton Gate is a railway line - infact there are two!

One of them is used for frieght, and goes from the mainline by Bedminster all the way out to Avonmouth. The other line is the old Steam line that runs along the river Avon heading towards Redcliffe and then into the docks.

If City were to make it into the Prem, or even if we just wanted to use this as a park and ride rail transport option - surely it should be looked at to maybe install a station by Ashton Gate for use on matchdays? The trains could run from either the Docks to Ashton Gate - or Temple meads (or Parkway) to Ashton Gate, and local services could extend there too for matchdays?

This would obiously be down to City, Railtrack and the Council working together (which is very unlikly!) but its an option which I would probably use if it was done right to save having to try and park in Ashton.

I think the problem with the Docks line is its been removed around the back of the bowling areana. They've knocked down the old civial engineering sheds down and lifted the track. The railway line still runs almost up to Ashton Park though and its not a bad idea.

The Portishead - > Bristol line isn't classified as a 'passenger' line in terms of the signalling and tunneling aren't up to spec. That said there is still huge amounts of pressure from the villages and towns such as Portishead to get this fixed up somewhere down the line. Hopefully if that was reintroduced we'd see the station platform (there is one there, if you look down from the bridge by the Merc garage) at Ashton Gate reused.

I for one hope so, then I could enjoy lots of beer pre kick off cool.gif

The Portishead - > Bristol line isn't classified as a 'passenger' line in terms of the signalling and tunneling aren't up to spec. That said there is still huge amounts of pressure from the villages and towns such as Portishead to get this fixed up somewhere down the line. Hopefully if that was reintroduced we'd see the station platform (there is one there, if you look down from the bridge by the Merc garage) at Ashton Gate reused.

I think First Great Western (certainly one of the train companies) are currently considering this option. As always the question of how the £Xm will be found to redevelop the line hasnt been answered.

I think First Great Western (certainly one of the train companies) are currently considering this option.  As always the question of how the £Xm will be found to redevelop the line hasnt been answered.

Its an estimated £6-£8 million too sad.gif

Why they didn't get all the housing developers currently making a mint out of Portishead to cover those costs.. well I'll never know.. that sort of money is a drop in the ocean to the £££'s they are making over there ranting.gif

Its an estimated £6-£8 million too  sad.gif

Why they didn't get all the housing developers currently making a mint out of Portishead to cover those costs.. well I'll never know.. that sort of money is a drop in the ocean to the £££'s they are making over there  ranting.gif

I thought it was even higher than that.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I think they only agreed to look at the option as part of a contract renewal process.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Tom Transport is something the FCC should look at. Let me know when the next meeting is and I shall prepare something for you.

Tom Transport is something the FCC should look at.  Let me know when the next meeting is and I shall prepare something for you.

Think its going to be early July... so give me lots of amunition.

I can then forward it all onto the Sister who's in the PR/Policies deptment @ BCC (oh the arugments we've already had whistling.gif )

• Admin

But where would you site the new stadium? If I recall correctly, not many were in favour of going out of Bristol, to Severnside.

My personal preference would be to keep the club in the South of the City, the problem being, as those trying to get to the <chortles> International Airport </chortles> know only too well, is the lack of infrastructure (road & rail) this side of the river.

Not a problem for me, as I very rarely drive to the Gate, as a pre & post match beer form part of the whole matchday experience, so its either blag a lift or a taxi home long after the traffic has gone.

Guest hairyshamrock

Makes me laugh that it was released last year that over the last 20 years or so, Bristol City Council have spent £3MILLION to DECIDE(!!!!!!) if the city needs or could support a Tram system.... the answer was..... NO!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but having been to Sheffield and Manchester this year for footy and their tram systems are top drawer, heavily used, regular and pretty damn cheap too! And apparently, i'm told that they didn't cost much more than the £3Million wasted by BCC!

As Bill Shankley said, "if you can't make a decision then go and be a politician!"

Our council = sh!t

A big out of town stadium is this answer for both clubs - whether its to share or not.

Reading, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff etc etc..... all doing it or done it.

we're both being held back

me thinks that somebody is looking for another squat. disapointed2se.gif

I don't think a new stadium is either affordable or in fact necessarily going to make things any better. Admittedly the whole transport system needs rethinking because you're right that it's a total joke at the moment. The council needs to look into some radical change but I can't see it happening somehow.

Archived