IGNORED

Record Season Ticket Sales?

Dave L

For all those gloom merchants who were confidently predicting season ticket sales of about 3-4,000, today's EP has a different story to tell:

BOOM TIME AT ASHTON GATE

More News | Back to home page

City on course to match last year's season-ticket record

Bristol City have been handed a season-ticket boost ahead of today's 2005-06 fixture announcements.

Chief executive Colin Sexstone admitted in an interview with the Evening Post towards the end of last season that the club would be hard-pressed to match the achievements of previous record-breaking years this summer.

With City in transition after managerial and player upheavals, and the team struggling to make headway in the 2004-05 play-off race, Ashton Gate chiefs always knew they faced a battle recruiting season ticket holders in the sort of numbers witnessed in previous years, when 8,000 plus had become the norm heading into a campaign.

Last year City kicked off the programme with a record 8,500 regular fan base - a figure Sextone now says they are well on their way to matching after revealing that by this morning some 7,000 season tickets had been sold.

The 'Marcus Stewart factor' is undoubtedly one key reason for the demand, while plenty of encouragement was gained from the performances of a number of talented youngsters who made the first-team breakthrough last term. A delighted Sexstone believes there is another good reason for the sales boom.

"It cannot be forgotten that with the redevelopment of the Wedlock end of the stadium, the ground capacity will be reduced (to 15,000) next season which means the only way to be sure of a seat for the bigger games will be to have a season ticket," he said.

"We have also had a telesales team, comprising our own staff, who have been ringing past season ticket holders who had yet to renew their seats and getting good results.

"It means we are well on course to match the 8,500 figure at the start of last season, which ended up at 9,000 with the half-season take - up."

Added Sexstone: "The team had progressed each year over the previous four seasons in terms of final League status and last year was the first time we had taken a backward step and we weren't sure how that would impact on us.

"But the supporters have shown great enthusiasm and there's a real feelgood factor about the place which bodes well."

"It cannot be forgotten that with the redevelopment of the Wedlock end of the stadium, the ground capacity will be reduced (to 15,000) next season which means the only way to be sure of a seat for the bigger games will be to have a season ticket,"

Food for thought for all those siren voices who trumpeted they would definately not be renewing their season ticket, eh? ... I suppose they could always get some idea of the atmosphere by standing in the car park.

Guest JonSingleton

Total sales are encouraging bearing in mind what happened last season but I would be interested to see how these figures look when broken down to compare existing season ticket holders renewing vs new season ticket sales and then compare against pevious years.

Retention of customers is vital for the club but so is attracting new season ticket sales so if the people who said they aren't renewing ddn't it might mean their places are being filled by new season tickets sales, which should be of concern to the club.

Jon

Total sales are encouraging bearing in mind what happened last season but I would be interested to see how these figures look when broken down to compare existing season ticket holders renewing vs new season ticket sales and then compare against pevious years.

Retention of customers is vital for the club but so is attracting new season ticket sales so if the people who said they aren't renewing ddn't it might mean their places are being filled by new season tickets sales, which should be of concern to the club.

Jon

Wow Jon, that must be your first post since 1987.

It's like waiting for a wise old man. You don't say much (well on here anyway), but when you do...... razz.gif

Scooter Red

Jon

If the club had secured the existing ST holders then the figure would be an all time record.

The numbers of tickets sold show great encouragement & the club must have rubbed their hands with glee when MS made the 'I want to play for Bristolo City' comment.

They needn't have bothered setting up the 'tele-canvassing' campaign if the renewals had gone to plan.

It just goes to show what the supporters have done for this club - season after season

Getting new supporters to cough up is vital, but as JS states retaining those that havn't renewed is also the key.

If all the pre-season hype comes to fruition then I am sure AG will be buzzing.

Whether you have a season ticket or not, the fact that fans will turn up is the vital ingrediant.

Still can't see why not having a ST is a real crime as the odd few think dunno.gif

Supporting BCFC is something that fans love to do. But if fans couldn't get to all of the games (due to family/personal/business reasons) - then I reckon it seems false economy to pay over the odds for a ticket. Especially if these fans had seen one of the worst seasons of footy in recent memory.

Doom & gloom - lets see come May 06

Jon

I definately think that it is important to look at where they are coming from but I think it is encouraging to get new st holders on board. From the report they seem to be making an effort to call those that have had a season ticket before and are getting results this way.

I think that increasing the total fan base must be the main aim. If those that haven't renewed now are kept sweet by both the team playing well and a courtesy mid season phone call then hopefully they can be encouraged to buy a season ticket for the following season or a mid season one.

I definately think that it is important to look at where they are coming from but I think it is encouraging to get new st holders on board. From the report they seem to be making an effort to call those that have had a season ticket before and are getting results this way.

I think that increasing the total fan base must be the main aim. If those that haven't renewed now are kept sweet by both the team playing well and a courtesy mid season phone call then hopefully they can be encouraged to buy a season ticket for the following season or a mid season one.

In truth, total numbers are important, as is the value of each seat.

A few years ago season ticket sales increased significantly due to a large uplift in kids and concessions/students/under 16's, which is all good. It did, however, lower the average revenue per seat. The club have clearly said that they are addressing that this season with a reduced capacity. From memory, 7,000 tickets this year would generate the same revenue as 8,500 last year.

The point is that it's guaranteed, upfront revenue, which is important. Hence quotes like "Season Ticket holders are life blood of club" etc..

Was I not likely to renew? Never in doubt whistling.gif

Guest JonSingleton
Wow Jon, that must be your first post since 1987.

It's like waiting for a wise old man.  You don't say much (well on here anyway), but when you do...... razz.gif

Scooter Red

Thanks Jon (I think!)

Jon

Guest JonSingleton
In truth, total numbers are important, as is the value of each seat.

A few years ago season ticket sales increased significantly due to a large uplift in kids and concessions/students/under 16's, which is all good. It did, however, lower the average revenue per seat. The club have clearly said that they are addressing that this season with a reduced capacity. From memory, 7,000 tickets this year would generate the same revenue as 8,500 last year.

The point is that it's guaranteed, upfront revenue, which is important. Hence quotes like "Season Ticket holders are life blood of club" etc..

Was I not likely to renew? Never in doubt  whistling.gif

Very good point Zookeeper

Up front review is good for the cashflow but I wonder whether clubs in general are missing a trick with those less likely to buy season tickets only having a two other options e.g. half season ticket or game by game.

I hate to admit but I think we could learn a thing or two from the Yanks when it comes to ticket sells techniques.

For example in the NBA they package a small number of games together which include a couple of attractive games, in our case home to Notts Forest/Yeovil with some of the less attractive ones. They dress up the package with other bits and pieces but essentially they are ensuring that demand for the big games enables them to get more money in for the others.

In view of our limited capacity this season perhaps this is something that would increase revenues without effecting season ticket sales. You will also hope you could eventully turn some these customers into season ticket holders in the future

Just a thought

Jon

Very good point Zookeeper

Up front review is good for the cashflow but I wonder whether clubs in general are missing a trick with those less likely to buy season tickets only having a two other options e.g. half season ticket or game by game.

I hate to admit but I think we could learn a thing or two from the Yanks when it comes to ticket sells techniques.

For example in the NBA they package a small number of games together which include a couple of attractive games, in our case home to Notts Forest/Yeovil with some of the less attractive ones. They dress up the package with other bits and pieces but essentially they are ensuring that demand for the big games enables them to get more money in for the others.

In view of our limited capacity this season perhaps this is something that would increase revenues without effecting season ticket sales. You will also hope you could eventully turn some these customers into season ticket holders in the future

Just a thought

Jon

Ye that sounds good and it's definitly a way of paying back the faithful non season ticket fans.

Have the club done something like this before by issuing vouchers for money off the next game. so if you go to the big game you will get the ldv ticket half price. Though I think it will be better to bundle them together as you suggested.

It could be that this bundle will be avialable two weeks prior to the normal tickets so with the short supply people would snap these up.

I like the sound of this bundle thing (have you considered posting it on the Ask Steve forum?). I'll be at university in Reading next year, and so won't be able to make it back for all the home games. However, during half terms I'll be returning to Bristol, and I'll be planning to get to as many home games as possible during these times. These breaks are around a month long, and so there are a few games I cold get to (i worked it out as 9 in total), with a lot in the christmas holidays.

If the club did a bundle thing for the games around christmas, I know I would definitely snap it up. The only reason I won't be getting a season ticket is because I can't afford to travel by train back to Bristol for every home game.

Personally, I still feel the membership scheme would be worth starting up again. I believe the reason for it stopping was due to the lack of demand, but surely with our reduced capacity, there is a higher need for club membership so that people don't miss out on games they shouldn't be missing out on. After all, if people do miss the games they really want to see, they may get disheartened and the club may loose their support forever (unlikely I know, but food for thought)...

Season ticket sales are a reliable reflection on how much interest the fans are showing regardless of whether they are new or old sales.It doesn't matter to the club what the source of income is as long its coming in.

Lets not forget that its ultimately cheaper to buy a ST if you plan to attend most games.Those that haven't renewed will be kicking themselves if City get off to a flyer and AG with its reduced capacity is nearly selling out most weeks.Plus the possiblity of a big club in one of the cups and a ST guarantees you a ticket.You'll also be paying top prices for the more attractive fixtures and queueing up for tickets before the game.

Come on! renew! you know it makes sense.

Still can't see why not having a ST is a real crime as the odd few think

It isn't ... however, those malcontents who made a big song-and-dance about not renewing (instead of just keeping their decision private) must have been trying to influence others to join them in an investment strike ... a spiteful over-reaction to a season of disappointment?

My ticket is in the post (apparently). This will be my second ST and I never considered not renewing - even though least season wasn't the greatest to be the new owner of your first I have faith in the team and it also saved me some money, queuing up and gets me a seat for cup games etc. The only problem is that I probably stay in the pub a bit longer cos I don't have to queue and drink the saving anyway !

Ironic that the reduced capacity might actually end up with the club taking more money

city.gif

Edit: The Club normally offer a half season ticket around Xmas

Make that two.

I'll be getting mine shortly.

Ditto, next friday for me smile.gif

Another interesting thought is who are the the new ST holders? I would expect a majority would be regular fans who have made the logical choice and decided to pay up front, and of course new Bristol residents who recognize our ambition and have chosen wisely, like me once. smile.gif

So i would like to think that the disillusioned 'football fans' out there who previously paid tribute to our 'regional' rivals have turned their back and joined us!

Sounds priity silly,but not if your a Heywood, Smith or Parkin lovin Swindon fan.

I don't mean to have a dig at Swindon, but talk about a team in crisis!, their only ambition this season will be to keep in league 1, and i'm not convinced they can, at all.

So, i would like to think some unsettled or undecided Football fans in the South West recognize City as a club which shares the same dreams and ambition as them, a club that has a positive and increasing fan base and the staff & players in place to make it all come true.

I have said before that i would be among the first to welcome any new fans to City, we are a club moving forward and i would encourage them join our fight back to the top where we rightfully belong.

Archived