IGNORED

Lions

Portland Bill

Guest mesa boogie
By the way lions have just walked over a very rubbish side to win 109-6

They were part timers in all fairness, but I suppose you can only beat whats put infront of you.

The fa say these people play football reguarly but that does not mean for a team.

And this is the cruicial factor in the figures you mention.

Football requires much less organisation than rugby and it's a lot easier to organise a kickabout than a rugby game.

Go to any city and you'll find people playing football in parks, in car parks, even in the street. You'll find informal 5-a-side games going on in every leisure centre, and 20-a-side games in every school playground. None of these games will count towards your figures but they are still people playing football.

Rugby on the other hand is much harder to play without joining a club because of the organisation required. I'm not saying you can't take a rugby ball down to the park and throw it about, but to play properly really requires some organisation.

If you were to add up the numbers of people who actually play the two games, rather than just the registered players then rugby would come nowhere near matching football.

Guest mesa boogie
Talk to me like that again Sprog and you'll get the beating. biggrin.gif

You couldn't catch me old man. Slippery like an eel me, an eel covered in WD40.

Guest MaloneFM
Have you been in the fetish clubs again?

You're trouble is doc is 'You Don't Come Close'

See what I did there? See that? Countdown has a new presenter...bring it on.

And this is the cruicial factor in the figures you mention.

Football requires much less organisation than rugby and it's a lot easier to organise a kickabout than a rugby game.

Still, even if the FA are giving us a liberal estimate with the 12 million, we have well over 2 million REGISTERED players with the FA (source: Referees' Association). Can't find a definite figure anywhere for football which doesn't help, but the various websites that document registered rugby players all seem to concur.

There is of course the point above about organisation, etc, which is very relevant. if you include 5 a-sides, womens' football, kick-abouts, non-FA affiliated competitions, the number of people playing football will be much higher (although difficult to guage).

Guest Tactical Genius

Rugby is a bit bobbins though isn't it. Only passing backwards, sticking your head and hands between other blokes arses. That's probably why the appeal of it didn't spread much further than the old colonies (There's only so many rugby players in Wales because they are worse than useless at football), whereas football is the global game.

Football is the global game because the rules are simple, it can be played on any surface and all that is required is a few players and something approximating a ball.

I can't think of any other game that has the same simplicity and flexibility.

The fact that it doesn't involve much head-bottom proximity is a bonus.

Archived