IGNORED

Lions

Portland Bill

Today's major sporting event concerning Britain happened at Wimbledon.

Please don't mention bummer rugby again on this forum, ta.

I can't take any sport seriously in which a supposedly straight man is forced to shove his head in between two nancy's boys arse cheeks in order to 'push harder'.

Guest east_dundry_red
Minority sport. Sorry, couldn't give a monkey's......

I think you'll find that in someways its a MAJORITY sport.

More people play rugby than football in this country.

FACT: More People play rugby in the westcountry than people play football in BRITAIN!

Guest east_dundry_red
Well i have noticed that EDR hasnt started a thread on the All Blacks THRASHING of the Lions ( pussycats more like ). So i thought i would biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

don't get too far ahead of yourself one game is nothing and i have prime examples.

Last tour we distroyed oz in first test. Lost series 2-1.

University of wales newport v Swansea university.

Swansea win first best-of-3 game 44-5.

newport win 2nd game 21-23 and 3rd game 48-13. (got a try in the last game)

Nothing is over till its over.

I think you'll find that in someways its a MAJORITY sport.

More people play rugby than football in this country.

FACT: More People play rugby in the westcountry than people play football in BRITAIN!

Really, is that true? How did you find that out?

Scooter Red

don't get too far ahead of yourself one game is nothing and i have prime examples.

Last tour we distroyed oz in first test. Lost series 2-1.

University of wales newport v Swansea university.

Swansea win first best-of-3 game 44-5.

newport win 2nd game 21-23 and 3rd game 48-13. (got a try in the last game)

Nothing is over till its over.

You believe what you want mate, but its going to be 3-0 biggrin.gif , and.... if the weather is dry the All Blacks will CRUSH the lions in 1 of the 2 other tests. Auckland will probably beat them to biggrin.gif .

I notice people don't want to talk rugby on here......... bet they would of if the lions had won rofl2br.gifrofl2br.gif

Guest east_dundry_red
Really, is that true?  How did you find that out?

Scooter Red

We were given the figures for a study about 6 months ago. Also The west country has more rugby teams than any other area the same size IN THE WORLD!!!

I'll try and dig out the figures.

We were given the figures for a study about 6 months ago. Also The west country has more rugby teams than any other area the same size IN THE WORLD!!!

Isn't this partly the reason that City are the underachieving side they are?

Guest east_dundry_red
Thats surprised me  (but I'll take your word for it !)

I wonder why so many more people watch football when rugby is such a big sport ?

I su[ppose I'm an example of that.

I watch city like its a religon but don't watch much rugby. But play a hell of a lot of it.

Thats surprised me  (but I'll take your word for it !)

I wonder why so many more people watch football when rugby is such a big sport ?

Earlier this year (January), EVERY game in the Zurich Premiership was a sell out for the first time ever. It's becoming an increasingly popular sport after the World Cup win in 2003.

Isn't this partly the reason that City are the underachieving side they are?

Just what i was thinking.

The huge amateur football Leagues are often given as a reason why many can't attend local League football, and it's a valid point.

But have a look at the amount of local Rugby Clubs sometime, often with teams at all age levels.

Rugby is force fed in many local schools. It was in mine and i barely saw a football for 7 years.

Bristol isn't a football City, it's Rugby, forced on us often unwilling participants by generations of Welsh sportsmasters in Bristol schools.

Many of us gratefully leave it behind when we leave school but many others don't and it's another big reason why our football crowds will always be small compared to our potential catchment area.

Guest east_dundry_red
Just what i was thinking.

The huge amateur football Leagues are often given as a reason why many can't attend local League football, and it's a valid point.

But have a look at the amount of local Rugby Clubs sometime, often with teams at all age levels.

Rugby is force fed in many local schools. It was in mine and i barely saw a football for 7 years.

Bristol isn't a football City, it's Rugby, forced on us often unwilling participants by generations of Welsh sportsmasters in Bristol schools.

Many of us gratefully leave it behind when we leave school but many others don't and it's another big reason why our football crowds will always be small compared to our potential catchment area.

It was the other way round for me.

Never played rugby atschool but started at a club when i was 4.

I love playing rugby and always have. University has given that added edge to rugby and given me new hope in become a good player again. Also has given me a fresh opertunity.

Agree with you that the West Country is home to a huge number of rugby clubs.

Mind you, the borders of Scotland have more rugby clubs per head of population...

In regards the statistics, I have done a bit of research, and I have to say you are wrong that more people play rugby than football. And that doesn't include 5 a-side football.

England has a registered 634,460 rugby players. Wales has 59,900 and Scotland 13,721. (Statistcis courtesy of www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/rwc2003.htm)

However, according to the FA, 7 million adults and 5 million children play football regularly, which swamps the figures for rugby. What you find is that interest in rugby seems concentrated in some areas but not others, while football is more popular across the nation as a whole.

Guest east_dundry_red
Agree with you that the West Country is home to a huge number of rugby clubs.

Mind you, the borders of Scotland have more rugby clubs per head of population...

In regards the statistics, I have done a bit of research, and I have to say you are wrong that more people play rugby than football.  And that doesn't include 5 a-side football. 

England has a registered 634,460 rugby players.  Wales has 59,900 and Scotland 13,721.  (Statistcis courtesy of www.rugbyfootballhistory.com/rwc2003.htm)

However, according to the FA, 7 million adults and 5 million children play football regularly, which swamps the figures for rugby.  What you find is that interest in rugby seems concentrated in some areas but not others, while football is more popular across the nation as a whole.

I don't know where you got those figurse from but they are completely wrong. South Wales now has around 120,000 registerd rugby players and that was BEFORE the grand slam win.

The fa say these people play football reguarly but that does not mean for a team.

No way does 12 million of the british population play for a football team. the fa are being stupid as per usual. (minde you i don't get on with the english Rfu either)

Also there are 33 more rugby leagues than there are football leagues in south england.

I Wales (unsuprisingly) there is 34 rugby players for every 1 footballer.

Archived